Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 12:27 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times

Advertisements

The place i;m about to move to has a living room, bedroom, with a bathroom and kitchen, So why is that called a "2 room studio apt" instead of a "one bedroom apt" when I can go into another room?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 01:09 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,991 times
Probably just what is considered a "studio" in your locale. Is it a full kitchen with a sink, stove/range and refrigerator?

To me, a studio is one big room with a bath and kitchenette (not even a full kitchen). Sometimes there is a movable "wall" such as a curtain or panels hanging on a track that you can push back. That is what's common here where I live.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:39 AM

432 posts, read 1,228,062 times
Could be considered a Studio if its quite small square footage as maybe the "bedroom" sized needs to be over a certain square footage.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:18 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
There is no such thing as a "2 room studio apartment". A studio apartment by definition comprises one room which serves as the living room, bedroom and kitchen; and a bathroom. It has nothing to do with square footage. Many property management companies and real estate agents have been fooling around with this definition for years. It probably started when someone decided that "studio" sounded like a little hole in the wall (which many are but many are not). It also became fashionable to avoid acknowledging in advertising that the "kitchen" was really a "kitchenette" with minimum counter space and storage areas, along with an apartment sized stove and refrigerator.

Just advertising semantics. What you have in reality is a "small 1BR". "2 room studio" just sounds better in adspeak. You read, you saw and you signed and the description is irrelevant.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:28 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,354,126 times
I know someone who lives in a two room studio. The bedroom is a large alcove/room offset from the living/kitchen/dining area. It's regular bedroom size but it has no fourth wall, no door and no window. It's fully visible from the kitchen. An actual one bedroom apt. would require, by law, a wall, door and window in the bedroom. So it's about building codes, not advertising semantics.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I know someone who lives in a two room studio. The bedroom is a large alcove/room offset from the living/kitchen/dining area. It's regular bedroom size but it has no fourth wall, no door and no window. It's fully visible from the kitchen. An actual one bedroom apt. would require, by law, a wall, door and window in the bedroom. So it's about building codes, not advertising semantics.
It's a studio. Google "studio apartment" and see what comes up.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:34 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
The place i;m about to move to has a living room, bedroom, with a bathroom and kitchen, So why is that called a "2 room studio apt" instead of a "one bedroom apt" when I can go into another room?
Some things are truly baffling, right? Well, I think the way this goes is that if your kitchen and living room kinda blend together that is considered one room. It should be called a 3 bedroom apartment not a 2 room studio. Usually in a 2 room studio apartment the kitchen and livingroom blend then perhaps there is a small bed off in one corner of the living room..very odd. If you have living room kitchen combo with a bed in one corner then a separate bathroom then you do have a studio.
Suggestion if your bed is in the same area as living room...block it off with one of those folding screens then you can have a separate sleeping area.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:46 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,354,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
It's a studio. Google "studio apartment" and see what comes up.
I didn't say it wasn't a studio, but it is a two room studio in that the bedroom is physically offset from the rest of the living area. In her previous place, the living room was also the bedroom (futon/bed). In this place there is a full sofa in the living room and a queen size bed in the bedroom. There is also space for a dining table. The lack of a fourth wall and a window in the bedroom makes it a studio by building code, but it is a two room studio.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:05 AM

[quote=Pammyd;29014453][b][i][color=blue]Some things are truly baffling, right? Well, I think the way this goes is that if your kitchen and living room kinda blend together that is considered one room. It should be called a 3 bedroom apartment not a 2 room studio. /QUOTE]

A 3BR apartment? Truly baffling. Madison Avenue is calling you!

Old 04-07-2013, 08:34 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,007,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Because you don't have a free standing bedroom. In order your sleeping area to be considered a room, it must have a window, a closet and fully functioning door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting