Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 09:26 PM

4 posts, read 6,723 times

Advertisements

If you feel the noise is driving you nuts call the police. Let them handle it. If you landlord won't do a thing about it then go for it. They also have a community officer for mediation if needed. I would talk it over with the landlord and tell him/her that if the noise level does not improve to an acceptable level then you will be calling the police or worse yet, sue them in court over 'quiet enjoyment of property'. There is an area of the law that protects you as a tenant. Good luck and I wish you peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 12:27 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
I am new to renting. The 1st apt I had was down stairs. Up stairs was another family. Any way after gritting my teeth for about 2 months about the noise I finally talked to the people. Thurned out the thumpping that would Start at 2am & stop at 4 am was their cat playing with a ball....here I thought they were just comming home from work! Well they got the cat another toy & I never heard another sound.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:06 AM

265 posts, read 665,056 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
We've rented several places in the 15 years my husband and I have been married, and also owned one home.

Renting is good in some ways, horrible in others.
Thought I'd share an experience ( solution ) that might help someone else.
Rented for awhile: each unit had it's own parking space.
The girl on the other side of the road decided to park her vehicle directly in
back of our vehicle. It was difficult and sometimes impossible to back up and get out my parking space.
How did I solve the problem?
First I contacted the office ( landlord ).
Had to do it more then once; they didn't appreciate her either as she would run over and destroy their water sprinklers. ( they said she would pay and said she could break her lease as they wanted to get rid of her also.)
They put up a sign saying " NO Parking " in the area back of our vehicle.
That didn't stop her from parking there after hours or on Sunday.
WHAT FINALLY WORKED?
Every time she blocked me in, I would knock on her door until she answered.
Twice on a Sunday morning about 5 AM ( had to go to work )
Oh, she didn't want to answer the door but I knocked until she opened the door and she was in her PJs, looking sleepy.
After that she didn't block us in any longer.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:48 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times
Good solution, waiting. Consequences!

My mom had neighbors who played viedo games and it sounded like WW3 coming through the walls. She would complain to me about it every time I went over. I just walked over and told the guy that he probably didn't realize it, but the sound from his games was very loud coming through the walls. He apologized and she never had another problem.

I have a 13 YO who walks like an elephant in his upstairs bedroom. He tries not to be too loud, but I have to ask him to turn his music down once a month or so. I have asked my neighbor (we live in a townhouse) a number of times if he would please call me if my son's music or stomping around bothered him. He always says that he never hears anything, but I know that he must.

My problem is with cats. One neighbor has four and one in particular comes on our deck in the middle of the night. This starts my dog barking and wakes us up. It happens 4-5 times a week. I might try talking to her in the day time and then if it continues, calling her when it happens (3:30am this morning) and ask her to bring her cat inside. One morning last week, I just let my dog out to chase the cat away.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:07 AM

27,343 posts, read 27,395,534 times
Ive never really had problems with other tennants when I lived in apts. Most of the time I was never home anyway but then, kept to myself a lot or if company was over, we'd pretty much keep it toned down. Anytime we worked on our music we'd either use the headphones or the neighbours werent home.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:47 AM

64 posts, read 149,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahcarnation View Post
If you feel the noise is driving you nuts call the police. Let them handle it. If you landlord won't do a thing about it then go for it. They also have a community officer for mediation if needed. I would talk it over with the landlord and tell him/her that if the noise level does not improve to an acceptable level then you will be calling the police or worse yet, sue them in court over 'quiet enjoyment of property'. There is an area of the law that protects you as a tenant. Good luck and I wish you peace.
Calling the police doesn't always help. They basically say that you need to take it up with your LL and in most cases that doesn't help either. I called the cops once because the lady's kids and their friends were smoking pot outside and in the basement. They showed up 3 hours later. Obviouisly the kids had left by that time. Unless they're physically assualting you, you aren't going to get any where with the cops.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:03 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,370,228 times
Boy, you should read my Thread, Noise......Why Can't Renters Respect Other Renters?
The apartment complex we live in has pretty thin ceilings, but that sure doesn't stop the neighbors above us from making all kinds of "racket". Seems like there 2 yr. old is constantly running across the floor/our ceiling. This kid also jumps up and down on the floor and sits in a child chair and stomps her feet up and down on the floor. The father will run after the kid while wearing his work boots. He also now smokes cigs on the porch right above our porch.....we can smell some smoke in our apartment. My wife has asthma, and, even though he has every right to smoke on his patio, the smoke can bother her at times. We complained to Management a few months ago about the noise, but the mother told Management that she has every right to allow her 2 yr old to play in the apartment. Management only tells us, "this is a family complex, so there will be noise". Our lease is up here in Oct and we will go month-to-month until we move to another State (which will be shortly after Oct.).

Old 08-14-2008, 12:33 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,890 times
If your husband is going to be working nights I would think he would just be getting home when your neighbor is getting up. Everyone I know who works nights doesn't just walk in the door and go to bed, they eat "dinner" unwind then go to sleep. Perhaps he will just be getting tired as she leaves for work.

It sounds to me that you are worrying about something that hasn't happened yet or hasn't even become a problem.

If that is the only noise she makes you should consider yourself lucky.

Sorry just saw that she leaves at 9.

Politely knock on her door, inform again politely that you can hear her radio/tv and that you have a day sleeper in the house. Hopefully she'll be polite and turn it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting