Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 10:00 AM

315 posts, read 767,567 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I am at an absolute loss. We moved to a new state at the beginning of February and are renting because we weren't sure where we'd want to buy. Having 3 kids, and not wanting to move again soon after, we signed a 2.5 year lease. Well, the people on this street avoid us like the plague, and the only thing I can come up with is, it's because we're renters. Having not rented anything since an apartment when we were 20, this is new to us.

Example 1: Our neighbors mail got put in our box, so I walked over to give it to them. I was figuring that it would be a good opportunity to introduce myself, since the weather is nicer and I haven't seen them really at all. The husband opened his storm door just enough to take the mail, thanked me and shut the door in my face!

Example 2: Shortly after moving in, I saw the woman across the street putting something in all the mailboxes on the street...except ours. Who knows what it was, but she skipped right over us.

Example 3: Organized block party this past weekend at one house. People coming from all over with covered dishes, beer, etc. I was coming home and as I turned the corner and saw the commotion, I waved to a group of people that contained 2 male residents that I recognized. They did not wave back. I went into my house and cried.

Is it the stigma of being renters? We keep the outside of this house tidy and maintained. We don't drive old beaters or loud obnoxious cars. We are well groomed, normal, middle class people, no better or worse than anyone else in this working class neighborhood. I just don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 10:06 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
The days of the "Welcome Wagon" are in the past in most of the US although pockets do still exist. It'll pass and has nothing to do with your being "renters" as opposed to "owners". You've moved into a microcommunity and it takes time for them to smell you out and accept you. Continue being quietly friendly with your greetings, go about your business and don't take it too personally. The clique will eventually warm to you.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:15 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,742,295 times
Did you just move to North Carolina? Where are you from?

I have noticed that a lot of southerners are not very welcoming of outsiders. They may be nice to your face at the store, or whatever. But sometimes it can be hard to break into their circle.

I don't think it has anything to do with you being a renter.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:16 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,517,433 times
Also, sometimes people act like that when THEY have something to hide, not you. I am not a huge fan of becoming too close to some neighbors. Sometimes you find out things you wish you never did.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:31 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,517,433 times
The guy who slammed the door in your face probably didn't want you to see his meth lab. :-D

Old 04-22-2013, 11:05 AM

1,092 posts, read 3,436,775 times
If the neighborhood has experienced problems with previous renters, they might be cautious. I had a next door neighbor tell me her parents just assumed anyone living in my triplex was up to no good, because there was a long string of sketchy renters. Now they're friendly, but it took a while to prove that I'm as miserable with the shenanigans as they are.

Renters can have high turnover even with leases. Prove your family's stability by sticking around. Just relax. You'll get to know people.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:38 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
It might be your accent. We generally think NYers are rude and obnoxious until proved otherwise. Sorry, but it's the truth. There's a thread in Non-Romantic Relationships about co-workers thinking a NYer is a d-bag.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:36 PM

118 posts, read 318,260 times
I've lived in a lot of places and the "not being welcoming to outsiders" attitude seems to be true almost everywhere.

As far as attitude toward renters, I've known some people who don't like them. A friend of mine was talking to me about her house and neighborhood and how it changed after the bubble burst. She said it used to be a nice place but "now there are transients everywhere." I thought she was talking about homeless people, but it turned out she was talking about renters! I'd never heard anyone refer to renters as "transients" before.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:38 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,742,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
It might be your accent. We generally think NYers are rude and obnoxious until proved otherwise. Sorry, but it's the truth. There's a thread in Non-Romantic Relationships about co-workers thinking a NYer is a d-bag.
That's the point I was making. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (please forgive typos)

Old 04-22-2013, 01:00 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
DH and I just moved from North Carolina (we lived there 4+ years), and although I think a lot may have to do with the community you reside in, I'm inclined to think that the South just isn't that friendly anymore.

I lived in 3 different communities in NC and never really knew any of my neighbors in spite of making attempts to be friendly. I always blamed it on the region, but perhaps it's not uncommon throughout the state as a whole? It's odd though- NC is filled with transplants so you'd think they'd be more accepting of it by now!

I don't think it has anything to do with you being renters... I just think your neighbors are lousy!!!

Depending on the demographic of your neighborhood too- it's possible that they may have seen something which put them off for some snobbish reason (it's been known to happen). Don't let them get you down too much! I know it isn't nice not being part of a warm, welcoming community- but it isn't the end of the world, and thankfully, it's only temporary!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting