Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 11:51 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times

Advertisements

It doesn't matter what I do about barking dogs. Your manager isn't going to do anything about it. The owner isn't going to do anything about it.

Your only option is to call animal control and they might send out an officer to cite the dog owner.

Your manager made a very good point. If you don't like dogs, you should really have moved into a no pets apartment building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 11:57 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Your manager made a very good point. If you don't like dogs, you should really have moved into a no pets apartment building.
Really? I have a dog and I would be annoyed with a dog that barked the entire day. My dog certainly doesn't. Properly trained and cared for dogs do not bark all day and night long. Perhaps the OP has a cat or a dog himself or is considering getting on in the future or maybe he just liked the building. Regardless, he shouldn't have to listen to dogs all day and night. Occasional barking would be one thing but that is not the case here.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:12 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,517,433 times
I have four large dogs and that would annoy me too. I train and care for my pets, therefore the only bark when its important. Or in the case of one, at dinner time. And we feed him first so he'll shut up and not annoy the neighbors that are an acre away.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:55 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,743,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It doesn't matter what I do about barking dogs. Your manager isn't going to do anything about it. The owner isn't going to do anything about it.

Your only option is to call animal control and they might send out an officer to cite the dog owner.

I live in a pet friendly complex. Small complex, three buildings, driveways between each building and each is a converted old house with 5 to 7 apartments each. They allow cats and dogs and I would say that 80% of the pet owners here have dogs.

This is NOT a matter of not liking dogs. I have two dogs and like I said, most tenants here have dogs but we have none of this nonstop barking, and our management would not allow it. My dogs bark as do most dogs but not unreasonably or excessively. If they did, and other tenants complained, we would be warned and then if there was no imporovement we would be asked to leave. My previous upstairs neighbor was asked to leave for much less (noise related but not dog related) because other tenants complained enough. Around here, majority rules and management does not hesitate to enforce the rules about noise. They are not specific rules about barking but about noise in general that disturbs other tenants. We all expect to hear occasional barking but that does not sound like what the OP is dealing with.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:59 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Yes, our apartment lease states that neighbors are not allowed to disturb other tenants with loud noise, and that includes a barking dog; and the apt mgr will ensure that the noise stops, or the tenant is out.

If the barking is coming from one of the homes not in our complex, the police department will advise the dog owner that they have to keep their dog quiet; if they don't comply, they get written up and fined (you have to supply the actual physical address though, the police won't go cruising up and down the street trying to figure out which house it is).

Old 05-17-2013, 05:00 AM

16 posts, read 35,454 times
I understand how you feel when you don't like dogs. You have to again discuss this matter with your landlord and told him your problems seriously and if he don' take any action any more. Then you have to complaint.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:01 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default Grammar Nazi Alert

Quote:
Is there rules
no,
are there rules

well, yes, there are rules about grammar

Old 05-17-2013, 09:07 PM

134 posts, read 276,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
no,
are there rules

well, yes, there are rules about grammar
Don't start
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting