Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2013, 10:00 PM

611 posts, read 1,450,482 times

Advertisements

Ok,

So I've got an awesome landlord & I've been a great tenant, always paid rent on time. I'm moving out and the landlordis coming to do a final walk through.
I put a 800 security down at the beginning of the lease.

While living here, I got into a relationship with an alcoholic, who physically assaulted me and caused some damage to the rental.
Here's the damage:
-Punched holes in two doors (bedroom doors)
- Punched hole in accordion door (laundry area)
- Carpet Stains
- Broke key off in lock

I'm trying to figure out if I will get any thing back from my deposit? My EX did all of this because I kicked him out & the key thing was him trying to break back in. Any advice on how-to explaithis to my landlord?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 10:17 PM

850 posts, read 3,701,613 times
Tell him what you said here. Maybe he will be sympathetic. Good for you for getting out of the relationship! Unfortunately, it's not really your landlord's fault that's there's damage and you probably won't get a deposit back.

If you don't get it back and/or your landlord seeks more money, you can sue your ex for that amount if he in fact did cause that damage.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:23 PM

611 posts, read 1,450,482 times
Thanks, I did fix the one other thing he did. I'm just not phys capable of hanging doors or else I would have done it. The doors are not expensive, but I'm sure the labor will cost alot.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:45 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,403,624 times
you're responsible for those whom you bring into your living space while renting. you should be paying to have your damages taken care of....you should have notified you LL when it happened tbh, waiting this long is only going to make it seem that much worse.

if you looking for an easy way to tell him you dated a drunk who liked to break things there isn't one, just tell him what happened. LL's appreciate honesty, they get enough sugar coated sympathy stories as is being in the business.

the only way you will know for sure what you owe is to have an estimate done.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:04 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,870,594 times
You'll get something back, but not $800.

I'm guessing your landlord had no idea your bf was living there, much less tearing his place apart. I suggest you be honest with your landlord and pay your portion and move on. And with your new landlord, don't move anyone in without their permission and getting them on the lease.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:05 AM

23,154 posts, read 26,050,110 times
The LL may be very sympathic but will still have to replace and/or repair all that damage and there's no reason in the world your deposit shouldn't go towards it.
As mentioned already, you can try to collect from the ex.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:07 AM

11,558 posts, read 11,992,501 times
I agree with the others that you'll end up losing some of your security deposit.

However, as far as suing your ex, or even asking him to pay for the damages . . . would you really want to be in contact with him again? Sounds to me like you'd just be inviting trouble. Perhaps it would be best to consider it a Lesson Learned and move on. You're very wise to have kicked the loser out! Good for you!!!

Old 05-05-2013, 10:12 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,265,165 times
mitigate your damages. Landlords want receive their property in the same condition you took possession of it. If you can purchase the doors, hire someone to hang them (it is not complicated, a local teenage kid could do it as long as it is a straight remove/replace, so measure twice before buying the replacements). The carpet should be steam cleaned even without stains before return of possession... again not complicated, rent a rug doctor. The key broken in the lock... not too complicated, but not something a novice should attempt. I'm a locksmith and if someone brings the lock to our shop we charge 5-10 dollars to remove broken keys.

What you describe will effect your deposit, but it is possible to fix before the walk through if you take some action. If you choose to let the damage stand until your walk through, you will have very little control over the charges the landlord will apply for labor/materials.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:38 PM

319 posts, read 1,907,254 times
Yes I agree you should definitely get these items fixed before your walk through. You will pay for it either way. Since you can shop around if you do it yourself, it should be cheaper. What about walking into Homes Depot or Lowes with photos & measurements of the doors and asking for help to purchase them and have them installed? Then, either hire a carpet cleaning service or rent a machine.

Plus, if you fix these major items, the landlord may be more willing to overlook smaller items. Sorry you went through that. Yes it may very well cost more than your deposit, especially if the landlord is choosing the labor & materials. If it gets to be very expensive, you can try to sue your ex in small claims court, assuming you have some sort of proof it was him (police report siting property damage in addition to assault?). However, that takes some effort and a filing fee, and even with a judgement, some folks would choose to / not be able to pay. Best wishes.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:28 PM

11 posts, read 75,623 times
Read your lease very thoroughly sometimes there is a stipulation that the landlord is not responsible for the actions or damages of the tenant or the company the tenant keeps. As a victim of domestic violence as a teenager with an abusive step father I am glad you were able to get out of your situation but unfortunately that doesn't let you off for damages the only way you may be able to recover the amount of the security deposit is to lose it your landlord and sue the ex but way your options is it worth it to see him again? If your landlord is in fact a great person then perhaps he/she will understand what happen whatever you do, DO NOT change the locks in your home they will end up getting changed when you move anyways and in some cases you may be breaking your lease by doing so unless you let the landlord know your changing the locks you may not want to change that out. Holes in the walls depending on the significance he may be able to fix them cheaply as long as its not an entire panel. I hope your able to recover some of your cost good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting