Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 07:24 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times

Advertisements

I suggest the skylink systems off Amazon. I installed one relatively easily myself and it works quite well. Even calls your cellphone if it goes off.

I added an extra siren unit upstairs to make things extra loud, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 01:53 PM

200 posts, read 618,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Hello, so after hearing about my neighbors house getting broken into a month ago, and multiple car breakins , I want to purchase a surveillance system for the house I am renting. Now, I have read all the laws pertaining to what I can and can't do, and where I can and can't install one, I'm almost ready to move forth and purchase the system. However, there is nothing in my lease saying I cannot install cameras. Furthermore, the lease states that whatever changes I make to the house have to be properly repaired and returned to the state at which it was rented upon move in. So, could my LL tell me to uninstall the cameras? Or tell me I'm forbidden from installing them? I thought about asking my landlord for permission, but since I will not be making holes in the walls or defacing the house in any way, I figure that I shouldn't bother him. What is your opinion?
The cameras they make today can be tripped by motion when that happens it sends the picture to your cellphone and the camera has a speaker in it and you can tell the intruder through your cellphone to leave the premises, you can also hear whats going on through your cellphone, there is no monthly charge you just buy the App. I use Foscam Cameras they see at night they pan & tilt they record, it just about takes the place of an alarm but it is better to have both.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:16 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,138 times
Talk to a LOCAL security company as well as your landlord. Heck, our landlord recommend a couple places to us and we picked one after looking up ratings. We only pay $50 every three months. Well worth it. Also, it has lowered our rental insurance to boot

Old 05-18-2013, 06:19 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
my suggestion (if you aren't informed on alarms) is to contact an INDEPENDENT alarm company (not adt, brinks or alarm force or any of the national chains). The first question to ask is if they are local... like in your town/county. Then ask if the offer non-monitored alarms.

Our company has a relationship with a local alarm company. Our industries compliment each other and we work together frequently. I've talked to the owner specifically about non monitored alarm systems. He explained that in most cases, the monitoring is not the best expenditure of the client's security dollars. But all these commercials tell people they have to have monitoring and cameras and locks that unlock with cellphones. The truth is, the hardware for these systems is relatively inexpensive... these monitoring companies make gobs of money from the monitoring. Heck, there are even systems that call the homeowner's cellphone in case of emergency.... and that doesn't need 60/month to do.
monitoring may not be a necessity, but it is optimal over non monitored. And the only ones that are charging 60/month are the national companies. Most do not charge fees that are even close to that.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:22 AM

4 posts, read 3,161 times
I have Simplisafe. It is much cheaper, and you can install it yourself.
I moved into an apartment on the Lower East Side.
I realized the low rent included dubious management etc.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:26 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
Not all alarm systems have to be monitored (the 60.00/mo ADT) You can install a audible (noise only) alarm easily and inexpensively.

A camera system is great to identify a suspect AFTER an event, but do little to stop an event in progress.

I work in the security industry. Cameras aren't a big deterrent... chances are the perpetrator will wear a hat/glasses and avoid/obstruct/remove the cameras. If you do get a good pic, you might be ale to identify the perpetrator if s/he is known to you or the police...if not the data file will just collect dust somewhere.
LOL. Cameras aren't a deterrent? Really?

https://www.google.com/search?q=came...x-a&channel=sb

A audible alarm system with cameras present will chase out anyone who sets it off if they are willing to brave the cameras. WAY too many burglaries occur from people you know. Tell them the cameras don't work. Always funny later.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:43 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,211,994 times
I rent. I have 4 wireless cams which are hidden outside and record to a older computer harddrive. I do not tell my landlord anything and do not post signs. Keep it simple.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:04 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Hello, so after hearing about my neighbors house getting broken into a month ago, and multiple car breakins , I want to purchase a surveillance system for the house I am renting. Now, I have read all the laws pertaining to what I can and can't do, and where I can and can't install one, I'm almost ready to move forth and purchase the system. However, there is nothing in my lease saying I cannot install cameras. Furthermore, the lease states that whatever changes I make to the house have to be properly repaired and returned to the state at which it was rented upon move in. So, could my LL tell me to uninstall the cameras? Or tell me I'm forbidden from installing them? I thought about asking my landlord for permission, but since I will not be making holes in the walls or defacing the house in any way, I figure that I shouldn't bother him. What is your opinion?
Quote:
Hey thanks for the responses. I don't currently have an alarm system as its too costly to keep (around $60 a month for ADT). I have the lowest deductible on my car insurance and do have good renters insurance as well. My neighbor told me a few weeks ago that somebody was walking around my backyard. He thought it was maintenance people. When he told me this I freaked out and thoroughly checked all points of entry. No one broke in, but I can tell the guy was testing my windows as the window shades were torn at the corners. All I can say is that my neighborhood has gone to hell. I guess its a sign when my street starts to look like a parking lot what with all the shopping carts strung through the neighborhood. With cameras, its just a little piece of mind. Might not prevent a break in, but could be enough to deter one.
Hi JaredC, I can't imagine a landlord demanding that you remove the security system, its helping protect his property from damage too. If a burglar were to break in a door or window it would usually be the landlords responsibility to fix those damaged items. But it would be prudent to tell him you want to do this, that you intend to do it carefully and fully acknowledge your responsibility to repair any damage done when/if you end your lease.

The only reason I can think of for a landlord objecting is if you were to damage highly visible and difficult to repair items such as a stucco wall near the front door or drilling holes through the shingled roof, such as one former tenant of mine did when he installed a dish satellite TV receiver. Yes, some people are actually that stupid, but I'm sure you are not. So as long as you are prepared to repair any screw or wire holes you create, most landlords should not see it as a problem.

There was a recent discussion here about security systems that contains some good information. Best home security recommendations?

Such as... there are systems you can buy and install yourself that send a notice to your cell phone instead of to an off site alarm monitoring company. I'm looking into that because I don't think I'm getting good value for the money I'm paying to ADT. There are also wireless components which would not require running wires between every component and the base station. The trade off is having to change batteries occasionally.

If you are considering cameras, be sure to check out the quality of the image they provide. Most of the images I have seen were such poor quality they were not worth much.

We enjoy having a security system on our house, mostly because due to medications or health conditions we often sleep pretty heavy and an alarm would help alert us to an intruder at night. We are home most of the day so rarely turn it on then. I do have security signs posted as I believe they do deter some criminals. You can buy some online http://www.amazon.com/GE-45400-Smart...urity+stickers

Note: Some municipalities, such as the City of Austin, require that you pay an annual alarm system fee, $30, if you have a system with an alarm that can be heard from outside of the residence. Our indoor alarm system horn is really loud and can be heard from outside, but would also annoy the hell out of an burglars inside, encouraging them to leave. It gets my adrenalin pumping every time we set it off accidentally. And if you have too many false alarms, that result in the police being called out they will fine you for it. We have never had to pay a fine as we are usually able to shut off the alarm before it triggered a call to the police.

Last edited by CptnRn; 03-19-2014 at 12:15 PM..

Old 03-20-2014, 12:55 PM

39 posts, read 82,609 times
Quote:
I would still request the LL's permission prior to making the change. Better safe than sorry.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:31 PM

4 posts, read 3,161 times
I wish I could sell the simplisafe systems and make some money...
I've had mine for 3 years now, their older system.
I just added a motion sensor, just incase someone manages to circumvent my entry sensors. Simplisafe has cameras, it's wireless, it can be monitored, and send messages to your phone.
The newer system has additional monitoring, for gas leak, flooding, etc. You should look into it.
The only downside I'm learning is, you must turn everything off when going out.
Anything that moves or generates heat can trigger it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting