Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 06:35 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,752,855 times

Advertisements

I would have it professionally cleaned and then make sure any left over stains are noted in your lease for your next tenant. I would not expect brand new carpet if I was looking to rent, but I would expect clean (mostly stain free) carpets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 08:06 PM

18,117 posts, read 25,254,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
It is not wood it's vinyl planks I have it my garage also been parking on it for 2 years not a mark. I use a pressure washer to clean my garage.

Shop Style Selections 4-in W x 36-in L Oak Luxury Vinyl Plank at Lowes.com

The trick is make sure the floor is clean and sealed before you put it down
I saw that in apartments in Korea when I went there several years ago
I absolutely love them.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:21 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,775,029 times
Did not want to high jack your thread but this stuff is great been using it for years. You will see it in a lot of restaurants also. I clear coat the concrete floor first and it sticks almost to good.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Did not want to high jack your thread but this stuff is great been using it for years. You will see it in a lot of restaurants also. I clear coat the concrete floor first and it sticks almost to good.
Do you have a webpage with good information on how to do it?
or information about that clear coat that you use?
Thanks

Old 05-23-2013, 01:36 PM

I just use the cheapest concrete sealer they have they have pour it out on the floor and roll it out. 24 hours latter I put the floor down. All you do is snap a chalk line to get it straight line and start at one end with a full tile. when you get to the other side cut to fit, use the cut piece to start the next row.

http://pdf.lowes.com/installationgui...65_install.pdf

Self-Adhesive Vinyl Wood Planks, Basement Installation - YouTube

Old 05-23-2013, 09:24 PM

The reason I opened this thread is because my wife and mother-in-law thought that the property manager was right and that we needed to get a new carpet "Because not everybody thinks like me"
I worked on the carpet one weekend with a Lowe's carpet cleaner and saw that many of the stains were coming out.
I decided to open this thread and pretty much leave it up to you guys to make the decision for us.

We got the carpet professionally cleaned.... and guess who was right?
The guy that did the job sent us a few pictures and said "You should be very happy with it, I am"
The carpet looked almost like new in the pictures.

It went from $1800 for new carpet to $500 for getting professionally cleaned.
Thanks guys, you guys had a lot to do with us making the right decision.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
The reason I opened this thread is because my wife and mother-in-law thought that the property manager was right and that we needed to get a new carpet "Because not everybody thinks like me"
I worked on the carpet one weekend with a Lowe's carpet cleaner and saw that many of the stains were coming out.
I decided to open this thread and pretty much leave it up to you guys to make the decision for us.

We got the carpet professionally cleaned.... and guess who was right?
The guy that did the job sent us a few pictures and said "You should be very happy with it, I am"
The carpet looked almost like new in the pictures.

It went from $1800 for new carpet to $500 for getting professionally cleaned.
Thanks guys, you guys had a lot to do with us making the right decision.
Not to be a downer but look at like this you could of put in 500 feet of a floor that would last tenant after tenant. That could be fixed at a dollar a foot and only the part that needs it. So in the long run are you better off. If you plan on keeping it as a rental I would say not in the long run. A few more tenants new carpet 1800 cleaned 2-3 times 1500 = 3300 lose a possible good tenant because the carpet is not in A shape $$$$$$$

Old 05-23-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Not to be a downer but look at like this you could of put in 500 feet of a floor that would last tenant after tenant. That could be fixed at a dollar a foot and only the part that needs it. So in the long run are you better off. If you plan on keeping it as a rental I would say not in the long run. A few more tenants new carpet 1800 cleaned 2-3 times 1500 = 3300 lose a possible good tenant because the carpet is not in A shape $$$$$$$
We want to sell it, but people are having a hard time selling where our house is located. But is a great location for rental because there's an Air Force base close by.
I renting it out because I have to, not because I want to.

Now, when is time to sell, I will definitely put that floor in the first floor and put in wooden stairs.
Hopefully after the next renters we will sell the house.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
We want to sell it, but people are having a hard time selling where our house is located. But is a great location for rental because there's an Air Force base close by.
I renting it out because I have to, not because I want to.

Now, when is time to sell, I will definitely put that floor in the first floor and put in wooden stairs.
Hopefully after the next renters we will sell the house.
Now that you said that I would not put this floor in to sell I would go with a better wood laminate or new carpet when the time comes. Good Luck

Old 05-24-2013, 11:19 AM

1,267 posts, read 2,054,719 times
Quote:
Do you have a webpage with good information on how to do it?
or information about that clear coat that you use?
Thanks
Don't want to continue highjacking this, but how would one deal with stairs if they're using these vinyl planks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting