Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 07:58 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,280,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxbest View Post
I know that everyone advise against it doing so, but remember that there are also lots of landlord's with utilities in their name. I just want to know what landlords are allowed to do by law. Just in case!! Shut off service or not?
No, landlords are not legally allowed to shut off utilities because a tenant doesn't pay his bills/rent on time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 08:14 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,516,077 times
Nope landlord can't. But if the bill is in the tenants name, then the power company can.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:34 AM

6 posts, read 15,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
1) Make the deposit he holds MUCH larger.
That way the tenant is replenishing the deposit vs paying the bill.

2) Include the avg utility amount (with safety margin) into the rent.
That way if/when the T doesn't pay you have grounds to evict.

All that said... it's a REALLY (really!!) bad practice on many levels.
Get straight with the insurance company and lender... or sell.
I am totally agree with both points.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:22 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
I don't think it's weird for tenants to want to know about utilities - like are they included, what's the average cost, etc. They just want to budget.

Plus, they want to know if their grow operation will be paid for by the landlord or not.

Just kidding.

But, something does seem off about the OP.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:53 PM

Its only weird if its clearly stated in the rental ad that utilities are the tenant's responsibility.

If they read that and then have to ask or just ask, its a flag. Maybe not a red flag, but a flag nonetheless.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:32 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I don't think it's weird for tenants to want to know about utilities - like are they included, what's the average cost, etc. They just want to budget.
That's usually an upfront issue. Like one posed by the LL in the listing for rent: "utilities included" or "utilities not included".

I HATE the "what's the average utility bill?" question. Depends on how many months you let a toilet run and run and run, how many guests you let shower in the apt, how long you know there's a leak (because you can see it) and don't tell me, how many times you wash a car or host a sorority/fraternity or any other "group" function car wash on the premises... or what temp you set your heat at.

It's all up to YOU!

How am I supposed to know?

I have water/sewer bills that are $75, and for the same amount of kids in a different, yet the same type of unit $275 a quarter.

I don't know what the $275/quarter kids are doing.

I just charge them.

It's their problem, not mine. I didn't create the bill.

Make it my problem, if there is one, I'll fix it. Don't tell me about it, you pay for it.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:45 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,669,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
That's usually an upfront issue. Like one posed by the LL in the listing for rent: "utilities included" or "utilities not included".

I HATE the "what's the average utility bill?" question. Depends on how many months you let a toilet run and run and run, how many guests you let shower in the apt, how long you know there's a leak (because you can see it) and don't tell me, how many times you wash a car or host a sorority/fraternity or any other "group" function car wash on the premises... or what temp you set your heat at.

It's all up to YOU!

How am I supposed to know?

I have water/sewer bills that are $75, and for the same amount of kids in a different, yet the same type of unit $275 a quarter.

I don't know what the $275/quarter kids are doing.

I just charge them.

It's their problem, not mine. I didn't create the bill.

Make it my problem, if there is one, I'll fix it. Don't tell me about it, you pay for it.
The average utility bill is obviously the average bill charged from the utility company for the house. Typically of course the last 4 or 5 months. A very simple question with a very simple answer.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:17 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
The average utility bill... A very simple question with a very simple answer.
Not at all on either point.

a prospect doesn't (can't) even know what bills they face.
does that town collect trash? do they charge for it? or as part of the taxes paid?
how about the sewer bill. is it all on the water bill or separate fees with the taxes?
does the house have natural gas? do all the major appliances use it?
if not, what uses what source?
which gas company serves the home? which electric company?
if a tenant gets behind will the utility contact the LL?
are cable TV and high speed internet included?

then try calling the utility co's and ask THEM for a budget billing number.
read through their double speak on what 'only an estimate' means and so forth.

So... No, it's not simple question.
Not even 10 simple questions let alone simply answered.

But yeah... the LL should be able to say what the range to expect is:
"all told... it can get up past $X during AC season but it has been about $Y per month.
"has been" because it it's THEIR property and if anyone should know... it's them.
"all told" leaves all sorts of wiggle room.

The problem is claptrap houses with inefficient and expensive appliances that the LL doesn't
want to admit to having (eg electric baseboard heat vs a central furnace)

Old 06-09-2013, 03:12 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,669,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Not at all on either point.

a prospect doesn't (can't) even know what bills they face.
does that town collect trash? do they charge for it? or as part of the taxes paid?
how about the sewer bill. is it all on the water bill or separate fees with the taxes?
does the house have natural gas? do all the major appliances use it?
if not, what uses what source?
which gas company serves the home? which electric company?
if a tenant gets behind will the utility contact the LL?
are cable TV and high speed internet included?

then try calling the utility co's and ask THEM for a budget billing number.
read through their double speak on what 'only an estimate' means and so forth.

So... No, it's not simple question.
Not even 10 simple questions let alone simply answered.

But yeah... the LL should be able to say what the range to expect is:
"all told... it can get up past $X during AC season but it has been about $Y per month.
"has been" because it it's THEIR property and if anyone should know... it's them.
"all told" leaves all sorts of wiggle room.

The problem is claptrap houses with inefficient and expensive appliances that the LL doesn't
want to admit to having (eg electric baseboard heat vs a central furnace)
The question is what is the average utility bill in the past. No one is asking the landlord to predict the future. And yes it is a very simple question with a very simple answer. Whatever context the inquirer decides to put the information gained in order to make their decision, is up to them, just like every other inquiry made in real world.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:06 PM

No its not a simple answer. If its a single family home that the landlord has either never lived in, or hasn't lived in in years, and tenants have always had utilities in their name, the landlord would have no idea what the power bill would be, on average or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting