Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 11:16 AM

5 posts, read 16,908 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm in Ohio. In apartment complex I have been shown apartment with different floor plan what I was going to rent, and payed $300 deposit to hold it for me over the phone, did not sign anything and did not get a receipt.

In 2 days I came in and they finally showed me same floor plan as I was renting and I didn't like it. So I payed deposit for UNSEEN apartment and want to cancel it but they say deposit is NON-REFUNDABLE. Can I just cancel transaction with no consequences? Remember I didn't sign anything just gave my card number over the phone.

The apartment will only be ready after repair in a week so its not like it was standing there all waiting for me and preventing others to buy it. In fact they just now called me and asked if I'm still cancelling because other people are looking to rent it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 11:34 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuxerezad View Post
...payed $300 (holding fee) to hold it for me
In 2 days... I didn't like it.
...want to cancel it but they say (holding fee) is NON-REFUNDABLE.
You asked them to do something for you.
You paid their charge to do that.
They did what you asked them to do and what you paid for.
Now you believe you are entitled to not have to pay for that.

Is that about it?
What would you say if they had not held the apartment for you?

Old 06-05-2013, 11:45 AM

They require to make a nonrefundable deposit for unseen apartment. It sounds illegal and even if its not and they are not restricted by law to do that, they should.

Doesn't it sounds like a scam??- "hey you cannot see what you will be renting yet but here is more expensive nice floor plan, if you like it make a non-refundable deposit"... There should be some law that would make them stop doing business like that. Fast good money, nothing else to add. Again, they still didn't give me a receipt or got my signature maybe for a reason that so I dont have evidence that this is how they run business and cannot sue them for taking peoples money.

Again, apartment was held for a couple of days and still will be ready only in a week. I can't name it "they held it for me for $300 for 2 days with no refund and its not a scam".

Old 06-05-2013, 12:08 PM

912 posts, read 5,259,421 times
Quote:
Doesn't it sounds like a scam??- "hey you cannot see what you will be renting yet but here is more expensive nice floor plan, if you like it make a non-refundable deposit"... There should be some law that would make them stop doing business like that.
There is actually a law about that. Its a common sense law. If they won't show you the actual unit, the correct response is "C-YA!!! BYE BYE!!!" instead of.. "oh yeah, here's $300 in cash, no, I don't need a receipt, thanks!"

I guess its true what they say.. there IS a sucker born every minute...

Old 06-05-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
There is actually a law about that. Its a common sense law. If they won't show you the actual unit, the correct response is "C-YA!!! BYE BYE!!!" instead of.. "oh yeah, here's $300 in cash, no, I don't need a receipt, thanks!"

I guess its true what they say.. there IS a sucker born every minute...
Well I probably entitled to cancel transaction then, I was just wondering if I have anything to support legitimacy of such an action from customer perspective.

Would be awesome to sue them for taking advantage of naive citizens.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:21 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,659,903 times
If you put it on a credit card, you may be able to dispute it through your card company and get the charges reversed.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:10 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
They require to make a nonrefundable deposit for unseen apartment.
No. They offer the ability to reserve the apartment.

It's entirely your choice to accept or decline...
or to postpone the business transaction until you can meet in person.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:40 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,012,197 times
You didn't pay a security deposit. You paid a non refundable fee to hold a unit for you. That's what they did, they held the unit for you and now want to know if you're taking it or not.

Normally, if you choose to rent there the money goes towards the first months rent. If you choose not to rent, you lost the money. So, are you renting the unit or not? They need to know.

I can't imagine why anyone in their right mind would do what you did. I really can't believe that people actually do this kind of stuff. I'm blown away, just literally blown away.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:53 PM

I really dont know any better and dont have a lot of experience in renting so dont know the standard practices. Im just surprised that with all crazy law in United States apartments as a business CAN require people to do that.

I greatly appreciate community for help!! Thank you all for advises.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:45 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times
Quote:
I really dont know any better and dont have a lot of experience in renting so dont know the standard practices. Im just surprised that with all crazy law in United States apartments as a business CAN require people to do that.

I greatly appreciate community for help!! Thank you all for advises.
Nobody put a gun to your head and made you do it, or threatened to throw you in jail if you didn't.

You chose to do something foolish and you got burned. Learn from it and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting