Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 02:56 PM

8 posts, read 5,806 times

Advertisements

Now I was on vacation in Ohio and I mail the rent money order out on Friday the 2nd in the morning at the Post Office. The clerk guaranteed it to arrive in Ca on the 4th in which the management company allowed. He tells a month later without proof that he didnt recieve it until the 7th. Now charging me late fee of $35.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 03:03 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,834,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SN Cali View Post
Now I was on vacation in Ohio and I mail the rent money order out on Friday the 2nd in the morning at the Post Office. The clerk guaranteed it to arrive in Ca on the 4th in which the management company allowed. He tells a month later without proof that he didnt recieve it until the 7th. Now charging me late fee of $35.

The 4th is a Sunday. You are aware that mail is not delivered on a Sunday...right? Pay the fee.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:20 PM

539 posts, read 566,196 times
Quote:
Okay.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:15 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Unless you sent the mail under special provisions that guaranteed it would be delivered by X date, and you would have been aware you had done that because you would have had to pay an additional fee, the clerk can't and won't guarantee that it will arrive by a certain date. They may say it probably will, but my local ones won't even do that. It is unrealistic to expect mailing something on the 2nd will always get it there by the 4th, if time is of the essence.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:00 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,699,161 times
Quote:
Ask him to give you proof of the post mark date then. Otherwise you would have needed to send it overnight delivery with proof in order to make sure it was received by a certain date. A clerk just telling you it will get there on time is not a guarantee that it will be received when you expect it to.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:47 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
personally, id tell him to shove it and not pay but thats me

Old 07-04-2017, 12:25 AM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
The USPS is so screwed up these days, I'd allow at least 3 days for local mail (you want it to arrive on Thursday, mail it Monday) and a week for anything further.

With so many distribution centers being closed, something you mailed in a outlying post office might not even arrive to be processed until 10 p.m. or so. Lots of opportunities for missing connections (plane or truck) when that happens.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:49 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
personally, id tell him to shove it and not pay but thats me
Why? The OP paid late; he owes a late fee. It's common knowledge that mail is not delivered on Sunday unless he paid for special delivery. None of our clerks give any sort of guarantee and will tell you if you want a guarantee you have to pay for it.

Rent is due when rent is due and being on vacation doesn't change that...either pay it before you leave or pay the late fee. I pay bills ahead of time if i know I'm going to be out of town.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:06 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I've received mail months late by looking at the postmark...

Even priority packages more than 30 days underway from the USPS.

I sent one to Austria for the holidays November 20th and it arrived December 22nd.

Clerk had coded it for Australia instead of Austria... address was large block print readable from across the room... a 5-7 day package traveled to Canada then to Australia, sat around for awhile then back to Canada and then back to San Francisco, then to Germany and finally to Austria...

A counter point on the Landlord's side of things...

My mortgage is charged a late fee after the 15th of the month... without fail, my check is always in the mail no later than the 5th and the it only travels two counties away to the processing center.

My Mortgage Lender said it arrived on the 16th and was unyielding in charging a late fee of $75... I was unhappy and paid it.

Shortly after I did a refi to a better rate and a small part of my decision is because others I know were having the same problem with the same lender.

I sold something online to a buyer in Sweden, mailed it Global Priority on a Thursday and he got it the following Monday.

On the other hand, a keystroke error diverted an item mailed to me on a slow boat to Alaska, delaying its arrival about ten days.

Your Mileage May Vary.

p.s. Doncha love the asymmetries between rent and mortgage? A mortgage payment is subject to a late fee after the 15th and a rent payment is subject to a late fee after the 5th.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:43 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
The IRS accepts postmark date as evidence of timely mailing..
The IRS is not the OP's landlord. If the rent is due by the 3rd of the month, that means the landlord wants to receive the check by that date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting