U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2013, 08:59 PM

16 posts, read 19,517 times

Advertisements

A year ago my apartment major raised my rent with a note saying it will never happen again. I was naive and did not keep the note (kick self)

A year later (now), my new apartment manager wants to raise the rent yet again. What do i do?

(I don't think the apartment manager are the owners of the apartment complex I reside in)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 10:38 PM

7,216 posts, read 12,655,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dciree View Post
A year ago my apartment major raised my rent with a note saying it will never happen again. I was naive and did not keep the note (kick self)

A year later (now), my new apartment manager wants to raise the rent yet again. What do i do?

(I don't think the apartment manager are the owners of the apartment complex I reside in)
Why would a LL promise never to raise the rent again? That's just bizarre.

Rents go up, like everything else. If you don't want to pay the new rent, then move. Seems pretty simple.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:43 PM

4,787 posts, read 9,292,750 times
The landlord, through his manager, cannot raise the rent during a lease period. When the lease period is over, he can raise it as much as he likes, unless you are in a rent controlled building or in a building that is somehow otherwise rent restricted ( government housing)

In your case, it sounds as if you are in a private building on a one year lease that is about to end. The landlord wants to raise your rent. If that's what's happening, you pay the rent increase or you move.

Because someone told you last year that there would be no rent increase again doesn't mean anything. Read your lease. What does your lease say ? Does your lease say the rent will never ever be increased ? What's in the lease is what is important.

Also, if your landlord is using a property manager, it's typical that the manager would be handling the leasing, collecting the rents, etc.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:12 PM

3,199 posts, read 11,419,890 times
The owner is telling the manager what to do, with hopefully some information from them on the current rental market. Telling people their rent will "never be raised again" is probably why he lost his job and you have a new manager! Resident managers' jobs are not to be friends with the residents. Their job is to protect the interest of the owner and maintain the property. This does not mean they can't be friendly, nice people - but remember they are not your advocate.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:19 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,896,209 times
You might want to consider buying a modest home to fix at lease a portion of your housing costs long term.

If you have a low income and can live in a rural area, USDA direct loans are a great option.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:31 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,747,775 times
What do you do? Pay the new rent or move.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:47 AM

1,490 posts, read 3,944,499 times
The fact that you didn't keep the note (and I'm not sure it would really mean anything anyway) basically means it never happened.

Your LL (acting through apartment major (?)) can raise your rent at the end of each lease period. Some do almost every year depending on what comparable apartments are going for in your area.

Quite frankly, you only have two options...sign a new lease or give notice and move out.

I guess you could try arguing with them about not raising the rent, but I doubt you will get anywhere. The apartment manager can give you notice to move out too...

Old 06-16-2013, 12:24 PM

18,081 posts, read 22,924,480 times
Unfortunately, whether you still had the note or not, it wouldn't be binding, as it's not a legal document. The manager might have been trying to keep everyone from moving out, so he wouldn't have to deal with a mass exodus. I'm sorry this happened to you.

But, you don't have any legal recourse. All you can do is pay or move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or