U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 7,468 times

Advertisements

Hello, I live in Houston, TX. My apartments list air conditioning as a feature of living here, but the ac has been broken for the last 2 weeks.

Maintenance was sent out the first few times, which only made the problem worse. After maintenance came, the apartment flickers continuously, every time I turn the ac on, plus it went from a temperature of 88 to 90 to reading 97 for most days, and 104 for two days straight.

When it got up to 104, my mother and I were sweating uncontrollably, wiped our face off every minute and the sweat formed back before we could wash it off completely. So, I bought a fan from Walmart even though all the comments online said fans don't help with cooling. The fan did help the temperature go down to around 96 to 100; it is also helping with the sweating.

However, it's still hard to function in here. I work 12 hrs, daily, from home so I must be in here. My mother and I both have high blood pressure which the heat is causing it to go up even more. My mother is also older (60) and has a heart problem.

According to the law, only Arizona has a law that states there must be air conditioning. Even with all the heat deaths in Texas, Texas doesn't require air conditioning.

Too many lizards around to leave the windows up, plus the air isn't blowing outside. I now have a heat rash and afraid of even worst happening. Maintenance / landlord is now ignoring phone calls and/or giving the runaround. I listed what's going on, on a hvac website, all the ac technicians said it sounds like a compressor problem. Management doesn't want to fix it due to how expensive it is.

Anyone lives in Houston? Ever had this happen to you? What did you do? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 05:35 PM

694 posts, read 3,569,320 times
Have you thought about buying a window A/C unit? Should be under $200 at Home Depot or Lowes.

After you get your window A/C unit, then find some help to deal with your slumlord: Let me google that for you

Old 06-24-2013, 06:45 PM

5,329 posts, read 7,209,713 times
There is a law, it says the inside tempature has to be at least 20 degrees cooler than the outside. City of Houston has standard for how cool apartment complexes must chill air conditioning | abc13.com

Old 06-25-2013, 05:25 AM

2 posts, read 7,468 times
Thanks, it also states the following: "Alderman says it may be hard to believe, but the city of Houston does not require AC units in apartment complexes at all."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
There is a law, it says the inside tempature has to be at least 20 degrees cooler than the outside. [url=http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/consumer&id=8272677]City of Houston has standard for how cool apartment complexes must chill air conditioning | abc13.com[/url]

Old 06-25-2013, 05:49 AM

25,119 posts, read 54,276,481 times
Default Summer is just starting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsSoHotInHere View Post
Thanks, it also states the following: "Alderman says it may be hard to believe, but the city of Houston does not require AC units in apartment complexes at all."
But if/when a landlord provides an appliance (refrig, stove, disposer, air conditioning)...
the landlord is responsible for it working; which includes being adequately sized (Btu) to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
Maintenance was sent out the first few times...
Rather than writing to strangers on the internet... write to the LANDLORD.
Document the problem what has happened (and not), what you expect as a remedy...

If/when they fail to honor their end of the lease agreement...
you can go down to rent Court to seek a remedy.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:02 AM

5,329 posts, read 7,209,713 times
Yes if it's stated in the lease that you have AC then they have to maintain it.

BTW I wouldn't renew my lease if I were you.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:56 AM

10,425 posts, read 42,578,567 times
I'm suffering in Houston now and suspect I know who owns your apartment complex. Nevermind that. With temps at 99 degrees every day with 100% humidity, any dwelling without AC is uninhabitable. I find it hard to believe there are no laws to protect residents from extreme temperatures here as most cities do.

Go here: https://www.haaonline.org/default.aspx
The Houston Apartment Assn is there to help. Nearly all apartment complexes pay to belong to HAA. There is help for you here but I can't say much more about it due to circumstances.

And if you feel you are stuck there, do as that other poster said and go buy a cheap window AC unit. That's a good idea. Don't buy one so large that draws heavy energy because I suspect your place is old and has inadequate wiring. When you find another place, get out of there. But it's more fun fighting slum lords too so do what pleases you and good luck.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:04 AM

19,691 posts, read 23,363,727 times
You can get portable window screens for the windows so that you can open the windows and still keep bugs out. A few open windows and a couple of fans and you can keep the apartment at least as cool as the outside, which is cooler than it will be with the house all shut up tight.

Keep the windows open at night and then shut the house up in the morning to keep the cooler air in. Open the windows again only when the inside gets to the same temperature as the outside.

Since you could buy a window unit for very slightly over $100, I suggest that you do that to keep at least one room cool. Then start sending registered letters to the management company about the air conditioning.

I suspect that it is time for you to move out and get a place where the landlord is better about maintenance.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:07 AM

19,691 posts, read 23,363,727 times
Also, you can freeze a milk carton of ice and place that right in front of a fan set on low, and the fan will blow air over the ice and it cools the air slightly. It's not like air conditioning, but it is better than nothing,

Make sure the ice water will be safely contained as the ice melts.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:08 AM

292 posts, read 756,860 times
Are they waiting on parts to come in to fix the ac?

Is this a large apartment community with a management community?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or