U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 09:36 PM

2 posts, read 9,421 times

Advertisements

I lived with a roommate in an apartment for 1 year about 1 year ago. It was 'co-singed'.

My lease ended in August. Around May, landlord came to me saying that he did not receive April rent. Apparently, my roommate wrote a check, there was a problem, and it didnt get processed. So I told my roommate to check if the check was processed from his bank account and if April rent really didnt get processed, I told him to pay the rent. He said he will do it, but apparently he did not pay it. Ever since May, every month, the landlord contacted me saying that he still didnt receive April rent. I kept telling my roommate to check it, and in August, my roommate told me he took care of it. I also did not get contacted by the landlord, so I thought he actually paid the rent.

However, I found out today that I have bad credit score because he still did not pay the April rent. I paid the rent the every other month and my roommate was suppose to pay the rent the every other month. He wrote the check that didnt get processed and screwed me up. Is there anyway to fix/dispute my credit score?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 06:10 AM

18,081 posts, read 22,914,959 times
Go to annualcreditreport.com which will send you to the three credit bureaus, where you can file disputes online.

So, did the landlord just send it to collections? Never took you to court?

You may have to pay the landlord so at least it shows as paid on your report.

Then, you'll have to sue your roommate to get your money back.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:04 AM

22,654 posts, read 28,660,433 times
Bad decisions ruin your credit score.

You made a really bad decision. The landlord contacted you because the rent was not paid. You were responsible for the rent (you signed the lease), so you should have paid the rent and then gone after the roommate to get paid back.

I suggest that you pay the landlord now. Make sure the credit reporting companies are notified that the debt has been paid. Then you can go after the roommate for the money.

However, your credit has now been damaged and it will remain damaged for the next 7 years. There will be a lot less damage if the debt shows as paid, but it will still be on your credit report and there will be a lot of landlords who will now no longer rent to you because you had a collection for rent on your credit report.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:50 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,895,674 times
Run your credit reports. See what and who is reporting. If it's a collection agency don't pay it, until you've researched it! Once you do, it will be stuck in your credit report for 7 years. They may accept a pay for delete. A good place to research it would be the forums at Creditboards.com.

In the future, never allow a roommate to pay a bill directly that could damage your credit. It's much safer to avoid roommates altogether.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:37 PM

2 posts, read 9,421 times
Landlord didnt send us to court and collection did not call us either. It was just the landlord telling us to pay the rent. After August, because my roommate told me that he paid the rent, I thought it was cleared, but then a few days ago I find I got bad credit report and it was never cleared....

The landlord is not telling us you better pay us now or anything, but I feel even if I do pay the landlord the bad credit still wont go away because that is what happened. I would have paid myself if I was not owed more than $1500 already. I've been telling him to pay me back for over a year too. Sigh... I really maybe should consider...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 06-27-2013 at 01:29 PM..

Old 06-26-2013, 08:42 PM

30,684 posts, read 33,445,013 times
What exactly does your CR say and how did you find out?

Old 06-27-2013, 10:28 AM

13 posts, read 21,306 times
If you have to have a room mate, at least don't put them on the lease! Have them pay YOU directly, that way at least you have full control over your credit. Plus, I would sign a private agreement with the room mate with all of the details, and give the room mate a receipt for paid rent and what ever else they pay for each month. If it comes down to having to sue someone, you'll need to have the paperwork on your side because "he said. she said" won't win a case in court.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:55 PM

7,475 posts, read 20,194,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Bad decisions ruin your credit score.

However, your credit has now been damaged and it will remain damaged for the next 7 years. There will be a lot less damage if the debt shows as paid, but it will still be on your credit report and there will be a lot of landlords who will now no longer rent to you because you had a collection for rent on your credit report.
Not true..! Bankruptcy will stay on your credit for seven years, not a late payment. All that is required to restore credit is pay your bills on time and your score will begin to improve right away.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:09 AM

8,618 posts, read 19,042,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalmonor View Post
If you have to have a room mate, at least don't put them on the lease! Have them pay YOU directly, that way at least you have full control over your credit. Plus, I would sign a private agreement with the room mate with all of the details, and give the room mate a receipt for paid rent and what ever else they pay for each month. If it comes down to having to sue someone, you'll need to have the paperwork on your side because "he said. she said" won't win a case in court.

This is the worst advice possible! This is the best way to find yourself facing an eviction.

There isn't a decent landlord around that would accept this type of living arrangement; if yours does, I'd be finding a new place pronto.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:11 AM

8,618 posts, read 19,042,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Not true..! Bankruptcy will stay on your credit for seven years, not a late payment. All that is required to restore credit is pay your bills on time and your score will begin to improve right away.

Try 10 yrs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or