Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 08:57 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Sound idea, that. How would we go about finding out who the regular police is? Would a phone call to the local precinct do it? And whom (in general) would we ask for?
Phone the local precinct and ask what officers are assigned to regularly patrol in the area where your condos are. Then ask if one is the more senior officer and if so, specifically ask to speak with that officer and ask if that officer could meet with you personally (or you and your neighbor) because you need guidance about this situation that is now escalating to neighbors calling police....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 04:19 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Why is he on his third apt in the same community? And "plenty of other places"? The guy sure moves a lot.
This is information that isn't going to help you assess the situation in any way and I don't feel I need to reveal every single little detail as it is irrelevant to the problem at hand. Let's just say the moves were not of malicious nature - most of them had to do with apartment sizes and changes in needs.
Quote:
And how would you know he'd never hit anyone? Are you related to this guy or are you his landlord?
Let's just say I would without going any further.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Blue View Post
Upstairs units have their problems too. I live above a family that cooks the nastiest smelling food. Fills my upstairs unit: burnt enchiladas, foul curries, strong onions. My eyes burn. Same horrid smells week after week. I have to open my windows in 99 Fahrenheit heat (and also draw-in air when freezing in the winter) to get relief.
Plus, in Southern California living on the top floor is hell during the summer (nine months out of the year). And the dude is in his seventies - climbing stairs isn't getting any easier.

So given that the (I assume temporary as I haven't read it yet) restraining order has been granted (it's amazing how easy it is to get one - I wonder what's stopping the old dude from getting one himself!), I am guessing there will be a hearing next when it will be determined whether or not to make it permanent (in which case he will have to move out in the ultimate display of injustice). Will keep you posted, I guess...I know the guy has contacted an attorney in order to help him fight this. Hopefully the attorney speaks better English than he does...

Old 07-04-2013, 11:48 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
It sounds to me like you or the gentleman in the #1st floor unit should have an Ombudsman, for seniors visit him, so he can tell about the police calls. If you are a friend, maybe arrange to be there at the same time. Sounds like these folks are harassing this old guy, and there are definite laws and agency's that will help him.
HOA issues, the poster who suggested documenting, maybe even taking this owner to court...I know little about HOA's....except the owner is responsible for his tenants seems to be the normal situation.
It certainly isn't fair for this old guy, nor for the rest of you to have to tolerant all the yelling and rule breaking of these renters.
Hope this gets resolved.
Here is a national link so that you can locate the Ombudsman for your area. NORC - Locate an Ombudsman and State Agencies. :: Locate an Ombudsman

Old 02-14-2014, 02:36 PM

Just to update with the resolution. The upstairs neighbors have been evicted and the restraining order lifted. All is well that ends well, frayed nerves notwithstanding.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:52 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Thanks so much for updating and hopefully now the senior Tenant #1 can once again enjoy his space!

Old 02-14-2014, 11:32 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
Nice update- what were the upstairs evicted for?

I would say as the owner of the lower unit, I would demand the HOA force the owner of the condo upstairs to allow them to fix the issues when the flooring so this isn't a problem in the future. My argument to the HOA would be why do I pay them money if they won't fix the problems I'm having as an owner? I mean how long could this repair take? A few days at most?!

Old 02-15-2014, 09:10 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
Yes, a good point for future into. What was it that finally got the upstairs people evicted?

Old 02-15-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Nice update- what were the upstairs evicted for?

I would say as the owner of the lower unit, I would demand the HOA force the owner of the condo upstairs to allow them to fix the issues when the flooring so this isn't a problem in the future. My argument to the HOA would be why do I pay them money if they won't fix the problems I'm having as an owner? I mean how long could this repair take? A few days at most?!
Non-payment and being general pains in the ass, from what I gather. Not sure what exactly was written on the official note.

The owner did make some changes to the flooring and I haven't heard any complaints since (some new people moved in). The squeaky floors were just the beginning of the issues with the old tenants, so I'm guessing the new ones are relatively normal in terms of the amount of noise they make. The HOA itself, sad to say, is pretty inept.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:22 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,042 times
"As far as protection of the elderly is concerned, actually, I'd love to find an agency that we could contact..."

Here is a place to start, highlanderfil:

Area Agency on Aging

These agencies for seniors are in every state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting