Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 04:39 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00kish View Post
§ 55-248.5. Exemptions; exception to exemption; application of chapter to certain occupants.
A. Except as specifically made applicable by § 55-248.21:1, the following conditions are not governed by this chapter:

. . .

10. Occupancy in single-family residences where the owner(s) are natural persons or their estates who own in their own name no more than ten single-family residences subject to a rental agreement; or in the case of condominium units or single-family residences located in any city or in any county having either the urban county executive form or county manager plan of government, no more than four.
What's the "chapter" it's referring to? What "exemption"? State landlord tenant laws are virtually uniform in the majority of rights and responsibilities and, as I believe I said before, there are certain minor exemptions applicable to private landlords over multi-unit owners but the things that you're posting about aren't amongst them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 05:28 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
For your own peace of mind, I suggest you take a deep breath, and live with the house the way it is. Hire someone to clean it. It doesn't sound like anything is an emergency.

I know it's the principle of the thing - but fighting the good fight can be exhausting and ulcer-creating, and not always worth it. I think you ought to let it go and then you shouldn't have to deal with Mutt and Jeff anymore either.

Then, prepare to move at the end of your lease.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:52 AM

8 posts, read 15,957 times
NoMoreSnow, I agree with much of what you say; my main concern is what happens if something else breaks in the house/work these guys have done fails to hold up and needs fixing - the LL will continue to send out Mutt and Jeff for anything and everything, and round and round we go.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:02 AM

8 posts, read 15,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
What's the "chapter" it's referring to? What "exemption"? State landlord tenant laws are virtually uniform in the majority of rights and responsibilities and, as I believe I said before, there are certain minor exemptions applicable to private landlords over multi-unit owners but the things that you're posting about aren't amongst them.
STT, the chapter is 13.2 of the VA Code, more commonly known as the Virginia Residential Landlord and Tenant Act: <"http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+TOC55000000013000020000000]LIS"> Code of Virginia

The exemptions are LLs who are exempt from the VALTA, unless a provision in the lease explicitly makes it applicable. The VALTA covers most common tenant solutions, from rent escrow arrangements to constructive eviction to what are considered basic/necessary repairs. It is much more broad and tenant-friendly than the basic fallback provisions in the code, which are probably pretty much like those in other states. (Here is a pretty simple overview of where the VALTA augments the code: <"http://greatexpectations.vccs.edu/wp-content/uploads/Tenant-Rights-in-VA-2-6-3.pdf">)

I'm guessing most of the problems here fall under what is "fit and habitable" and when the LL can have access, but I guess the only solution I can really pursue is trying to get them not to do that anymore. Like I said, that's ok, but maybe I should be trying to think of a way I can ask to have licensed workers on electrical or plumbing issues, or at the very least, not to have those guys (or guys just as inexperienced/careless) banging around in my house? =/

Old 07-02-2013, 11:05 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
At first, the LL did not offer a move-in inspection, but I was persistent...
Upon my initial walk through... Two things were in violation of code...
which I guess they just expected me not to notice?
In the rest of the world this sort of thing is known as a clue.

Quote:
I realize this doesn't mean I have NO rights...
...and among these is the right to pursue happiness however you may define that.
The LL however has no obligation to provide you with your happiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting