Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2013, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 5,598 times

Advertisements

So, my roommates get on my nerves to the fullest extent and I'm delighted to move. The only problem is the electricity is in my name. I told them that we're changing the way bills are going to be paid. We have two bills that have to be paid, the electricity and the internet. The internet bill is in my other roommate's name, which is substantially less than the electricity bill. Normally, I would pay the entire electric bill while they would just pay me back. The roommate that has the internet under their name just takes my portion out of the pay back they give me. I told them a month ago that we should all pay the bill individually being 1. my stank ass roommate would ALWAYS give her portion late, and 2. my move out date wouldn't be postpone by any foolishness! Plus she would always give me cash, which is stupid of her part because there's nothing that says she ever paid anything to me, though we don't have a written agreement. Calling the internet company and the electric company just sounded like a better idea because 1. each person would have proof that they paid on the bill and 2. everyone would just be responsible for themselves and not have to worry about who pays who what and when. So, neither of them have called and paid their part. The stank ass roommate left her money minus $15 that I already paid, so their account is credited $15 because she paid the entire bill instead of listening to me and have all of us pay it individually. I have set up a bill pay on my account only paying my portions and even explained to the other roommate that they could set one up and not have to write me checks. I wouldn't mind taking the checks, but my stank ass roommate pretty much messed it up for everyone. So, now there continues to be a balance on the account. I called the electric company and told them to shut off the day after I leave because I don't want it in my name. It takes awhile for the collection process to start, but I just want to pay my portion considering I have a new car payment, phone bill, rent, and etc., so I don't want my bank account to be strained by the entire electric bill. I'm moving out, but they'll still be there, and I feel like they should have listened to me about the change in method of payment.

Long story short: I'm moving out, they haven't paid their part on the bill. I called the electric company to cut if off, but I'm scared that if they start a new account or change the name on the bill then I will be stuck with the balance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 01:21 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,450,158 times
im not sure what you can do. the bill is in your name, that's all the electric company cares about. you are the person who has signed on the dotted line to be held accountable.

you would be best to pay off any remaining amount and close the account with the power company.

Last edited by rego00123; 07-04-2013 at 02:03 PM..

Old 07-04-2013, 02:17 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
As far as the utility company is concerned, there is no "share". The bill is sent to you and regardless of your deal/agreement with your roommates, you are obligated to pay it in full.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:05 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Close the account, and make payment arrangements with the utility company. Then in the meantime, try to get the money out of your.....uh hem.....stank ass roommates.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:07 PM

701 posts, read 1,691,179 times
I'm sorry, sounds like you're SOL. First off, you shouldn't have tried that changed method of paying the electric bill: too many things could go wrong (even accidentally) that would negatively affect your credit. So now you'll just have to suck it up, pay the bill (maybe set up a payment plan with the electric company to handle the balance) and just chalk it up to life experience. Sorry about that. Maybe if you have roommates in the future you can try looking for a place that has utilities included to avoid that issue.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:17 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Close the account, and make payment arrangements with the utility company. Then in the meantime, try to get the money out of your.....uh hem.....stank ass roommates.
And learn to use paragraphs

Old 07-05-2013, 04:45 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
im not sure what you can do. the bill is in your name, that's all the electric company cares about. you are the person who has signed on the dotted line to be held accountable.

you would be best to pay off any remaining amount and close the account with the power company.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:30 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default Paragraph breaks would nelp readability

Paragraph - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting