Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 03:39 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,891,532 times

Advertisements

Do what "ultrarunner" said. Move the stuff to storage and have her sign for it asap. Pay for a week in a local drug motel and move on. Lesson learned. Don't let her back in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 12:49 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,269,928 times
If she's been gone with no contact for a week, hasn't she legally given up her right to claim tenancy? Can't OP claim she moved out and abandoned her property? She's obviously been living somewhere else for the week she's been gone...

Old 07-13-2013, 04:44 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,287,828 times
How does a homeless person have a house full of expensive stuff?

Talk to the sheriff.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:59 PM

7 posts, read 7,484 times
First of all: She's been 'helping' by yelling at the kids. Some help with my epileptic wife, but lately it's been more pain than help.
We've done this before, and only once before was it ever this bad. She doesn't do chores, in fact she piles more chores on the kids by insisting that the chores they do, they do MORE... in any case, we heard from her last night. She was with a friend who had been recovering from surgery.
Fine.
If we had the money for a storage space, we'd have put her stuff there instead of in our house.
I'm looking for the right way to word the 'eviction' notice. This being CA, she is considered resident whether she pays(in any way) or not. I'll be making more than one copy of course.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
How does a homeless person have a house full of expensive stuff?

Talk to the sheriff.
From storage. She is on welfare, and up until she lost her child she had money. She's sold some of it. Some of it is heirlooms, and so on. Homeless doesn't mean possessionless. I know. I was once.
She's not a druggie(one of the early things we asked was a drug screening). She has anxiety problems(Medicated legally for it) and a lot of old injuries. We get that. We're also disabled, however, enough is enough. She's disruptive and aggressively OCD.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:34 PM

UPDATE on our lodger:

We served the notice. She was out a couple of days before the final notice. She put most of her stuff into storage herself, then took off. We made it clear that after 60 days, any possessions she left in our care would be disposed of at our discretion. I never heard from her, directly, again, so we disposed of the 'leftovers'. Mostly clothes.
My wife keeps an eye on her facebook, and apparently she hasn't learned her lesson. She has been in and out of the same situation she was in with us, still hasn't gotten her life together in any meaningful way and is frequently homeless.

These people who do not learn from the past make me feel sad, and tired. I'm 56 now, and I need peace and quiet.
Yes we take in 'strays' but usually they're people we already knew. This was the first time we took in a relative stranger.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:56 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,464,851 times
Thanks so much for the update. It was a sad situation but it's good to know that you're now back to enjoying your home in peace and quiet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting