Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,258 times

Advertisements

I recently signed a 1 year lease for an apartment for the upcoming semister (1 Sep 2013 - 31 Aug 2014) in Boston and just found out my dad is very sick (he's a disabled Army Veteran who received a medical discharge Jan 2012 due to injuries) and I'll need to go home to help with his care. Is there any way I can get my rental deposit and last months rent back for the rental agent? Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 03:15 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfv57 View Post
Is there any way I can get my rental deposit and last months rent back...?
Of course. Start by asking nicely the SECOND you know.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:22 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
It makes no difference that your dad is sick. It makes no difference that he is a veteran. Neither of those issues are relevant in any way.

What does your lease say about cancellations? Contact the management company and make arrangements. I would guess that you won't get your deposit back, and you will be lucky if that is all it costs you. But you won't know until you talk to management.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:02 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
Unfortunately, legally, in Massachusetts, landlords are not required to mitigate damages. So, you can be held liable for the rent, at least until Ll finds someone new.

Here's the link to the law, use your search feature to find it (control F) then put in Massachusetts:

http://dirt.umkc.edu/files/mitigationsurvey.htm

So, your best bet is to try and work out a deal with the landlord. Unfortunately, the law is not on your side. But, if you learn the LL has rented to someone else, you can sue under the premise the LL is not allowed to double dip (collect rent for the same period from 2 different renters).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting