Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 04:03 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times

Advertisements

Under certain circumstances this could be detrimental but there are two big points in your favor. First that your signatures were notarized and second that your money was accepted. I'd be very surprised if the broker didn't capitulate but if for any reason this falls through then that would be a very clear indication that your tenancy in this place would be fraught with future difficulties. In future, make sure you have a copy of everything you sign and be sure not only to document everything in writing but keep copies of all correspondence. When you have time you should also read your state landlord tenant laws (see first "sticky" on this forum) so you have a clear understanding of what's expected of both landlords and tenants and procedures to follow when things need to be addressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 04:49 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad168 View Post
We were not given a copy of the signed lease.
As far as I recall there were no signatures but ours on the documents.
This does not bode well for you.
Quote:
The application has the name of a property management company
but I don't have a (property owners) person's name.
Most counties have this online so start doing some googling.
Then prepare yourself to contact THE OWNER.

The broker has already shown themselves to be unreliable or worse.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:56 PM

10 posts, read 35,818 times
Just heard back:

"Hey all,

I can't give you an answer till I contact the landlord tomorrow during business hours, forward your e-mails to them, &
they tell us how to proceed. I'll procure a response from the landlord tomorrow & when they respond, I will forward what I am told. I have told your concerns & explained as soon as you have expressed them to me.

Best." I'll check in with him again early tomorrow and see what's up.

Thanks again, everyone. I'll stay in touch on here and let you all know what happens.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:13 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Thanks again, everyone. I'll stay in touch on here and let you all know what happens.
Write him back and INSIST that he identify the LL
Everything he has said since accepting the money and signatures has been complete BS

You keep trying to identify the LL on your own
and plan to contact the LL the second you learn who he is

Old 07-28-2013, 06:58 PM

10 posts, read 35,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Write him back and INSIST that he identify the LL
Everything he has said since accepting the money and signatures has been complete BS

You keep trying to identify the LL on your own
and plan to contact the LL the second you learn who he is
If things don't progress in our direction tomorrow I definitely will do that. Thank you.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:12 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,641,002 times
You gave him 7k with no copy of the lease? I would be very afraid a con man took my 7k...

Old 07-28-2013, 10:51 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
To find out who the owner is, you contact your city or county tax assessor's office. Sometimes it's online. You give them the address, and they give you the name and address of the owner who pays taxes for that property.

I've looked up owners online before. They'll usually give you the info over the phone if it's not online. Worst case, you have to go in person to their office. But, it's public info. Easy to get.

Here's an example of online real estate records search for my county in CA:

https://www.sccassessor.org/index.ph.../real-property

You could try googling your county or city name plus "assessor" plus "property search" to see if yours is online.

I agree that if you don't get a satisfactory response within a day, you ought to splurge on an attorney. Would be cheaper than storage and hotels.

But, first, contact the owner yourself, if you can't get the broker in line. Good luck!

Old 07-29-2013, 06:09 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Just heard back:

"Hey all,

I can't give you an answer till I contact the landlord tomorrow during business hours, forward your e-mails to them, &
they tell us how to proceed. I'll procure a response from the landlord tomorrow & when they respond, I will forward what I am told. I have told your concerns & explained as soon as you have expressed them to me.

Best." I'll check in with him again early tomorrow and see what's up.

Is this his email word for word? Is english not his first language? I hope this guy is on the up and up. Good luck to you...do what Rational said and find that owner!

Old 07-29-2013, 06:39 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Is this his email word for word? Is english not his first language? I hope this guy is on the up and up. Good luck to you...do what Rational said and find that owner!
Ah, you caught that too! When I read it it sounded like the mangled syntax which craigslist scammers use. "My place is beautiful and I look for someone like you who takes care of it good while I am called away to do God's work in Gumbajawaville with my lovely wife and daughter", which of course translates to, "Send me money and I won't send you the keys but thanks for your donation to my scam fund". The only reason I hesitated to mention it was because the OP said he did go to "the realty office" to sign the lease. But it's still a good point and I very much hope that this isn't the case!

Old 07-29-2013, 06:47 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Ah, you caught that too! When I read it it sounded like the mangled syntax which craigslist scammers use. "My place is beautiful and I look for someone like you who takes care of it good while I am called away to do God's work in Gumbajawaville with my lovely wife and daughter", which of course translates to, "Send me money and I won't send you the keys but thanks for your donation to my scam fund". The only reason I hesitated to mention it was because the OP said he did go to "the realty office" to sign the lease. But it's still a good point and I very much hope that this isn't the case!

yeah, I didn't want to be a Debbie Downer, but I hope the OP isnt' being scammed by this guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting