Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 03:19 PM

67 posts, read 98,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Why couldn't he appeal if you could appeal?
BECAUSE.......the appeals case is the final one, thats how it works
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 03:26 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
The OP should NOT be teaching children.
The standards for a teaching degree in the USA or unfortunately extremely low. This article goes into that in some depth. That does not mean that all teachers are bad, many are outstanding, but some should not be allowed in a classroom.

Why Are Finland's Schools Successful? | People & Places | Smithsonian Magazine

Old 09-30-2013, 05:03 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilteacherNV View Post
yup its been just confirmed that MY case also will be heard all over again as if its never been heard. SO pretty much the first small claims hearing was a practice run for me and now I know what I can say to prove my case. Kinda worked out better this way, he cant appeal if I do win now!
WRONG! Your appeal against the counter claim will be heard. You just don't get it.

Quote:
BECAUSE.......the appeals case is the final one, thats how it works
Again, your appeal to the counter claim. Have fun and of course let us know how it all works out.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:07 PM

542 posts, read 1,548,277 times
Quote:
yup its been just confirmed that MY case also will be heard all over again as if its never been heard. SO pretty much the first small claims hearing was a practice run for me and now I know what I can say to prove my case. Kinda worked out better this way, he cant appeal if I do win now!
When is the court date? I want to know when to check back in to see how things went in court. You'll be sure and let us know the judge's ruling, right?

<munch munch munch> Popcorn, anyone?

Old 09-30-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
WRONG! Your appeal against the counter claim will be heard. You just don't get it.

Again, your appeal to the counter claim. Have fun and of course let us know how it all works out.
Yes I know the appeal against the counter will be heard, that's the idea. However MY claim against the dependent gets to be heard again Also! So now I will be better prepared. And like I said if and when it goes in my fav the appeal stage is the end all, he can't counter after that if it goes my way

Old 10-01-2013, 11:11 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
OP's insistence that she gets a trial de novo had me going to check for myself what the law actually said and not her supposed quoting of it.

And, lo and behold, the OP is correct that it is the entire case that gets a new trial before a different judge. Yes, she gets to present her case again. The issue that threw us off was in what she "quoted" because it is true that only the DEFENDENT (not dependent, OP) gets to appeal when they lose. In this case, she was the defendent in the counterclaim so she qualified to appeal. Had there been no counterclaim, she could not have appealed. But, since the case has been appealed, the entire thing gets reheard - "de novo" - as if it were new.

In the first hearing, attorneys are not permitted. In this appeal, attorneys ARE permitted. IF one of them hires an attorney, the judge may award nominal fees up to $150 and the same amount for lost wages, transportation, lodging, etc. If you want to ask for attorney fees and/or lost earnings and transportation and lodging costs, be sure to speak up during the hearing. You may be asked to prove your actual loss, so you may need paperwork (receipts, bills) showing the charges.

One more thing, OP - read this part carefully:

Quote:
And if the judge finds you filed your appeal in bad faith, the court may award up to $1,000 in attorney fees and also $1,000 for travel costs, loss of earnings, and lodging to the other side. Filing an appeal in bad faith means that:
  1. You filed your appeal without strong support for your position;....
My information is from this link: Small Claims Appeals - appeals_selfhelp

Old 10-01-2013, 12:02 PM

"And if the judge finds you filed your appeal in bad faith, the court may award up to $1,000 in attorney fees and also $1,000 for travel costs, loss of earnings, and lodging to the other side. Filing an appeal in bad faith means that:
You filed your appeal without strong support for your position;....
"

She's got a ton of support for her position. Photos of the unit showing how nice it looked with her stuff in it; a little girlfriend to bring along to attest to the fact that the LL said everything was fine before the OP left even though there's nothing in writing to prove that was so; evidence from a hardware store to show that the sink she broke could EASILY have been fixed with a cheap repair kit; and as for that bit in the lease about her having to have the carpet professionally cleaned before leaving? Well, really, the LL didn't open his mouth and tell her that directly so how was she supposed to know?

Oh my.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:28 PM

blah blah blah...please

Old 10-01-2013, 12:53 PM

12 posts, read 10,704 times
Default wow

You stated that you had a legally binding rental agreement inwhich it spelled out that you will professionally clean all carpets. You also acknowledge that you broke the sink and failed to show up for a final inspection. Is that right? Ok, so assuming you are actually serious and not just pretending to be completely ridiculous...lets go over it again silly point by silly point:

1) I was supposed to provide receipt from a PROFESSIONAL carpet cleaner.
Your excuse- I chose not to...

2) I broke the sink.
Your excuse-he can fix it with parts he should have in his garage, for FREE!

3) I was supposed to have a move out inspection.
Your excuse-you didn't make time.

I unlike my fellow posters feel you absolutely should file suit! What are we talking here...small claims, go to court. Please post when you have a court date...I think I would love to come and see justice in action.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonsense? View Post
I unlike my fellow posters feel you absolutely should file suit! What are we talking here...small claims, go to court. Please post when you have a court date...I think I would love to come and see justice in action.
She already filed her suit and lost. The LL won his counterclaim and now she's appealing that. You need to stock up on popcorn to follow the saga. It's really unfortunate that she turned down the opportunity to have the case heard on a court TV show - they obviously felt as most of us did that it would have made quite a memorable episode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting