Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 09:20 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,068,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
$250 lost isn't even worth the effort fighting that scum. Just be glad it's over. Spiders in the windows? Sounds like a nut job.

Walk away and leave him alone. You don't want to go to court and waste time and effort.

Please do take the time and name that slumlord on the following website:

ReviewMyLandlord.com | Find or write reviews on your landlord

Nice to let others know what to expect if they rent from him!
OK thanks for the input but I'm not sure you understand. We let him have $250. Now he's demanding more money for "damages" discovered after 30 days and for work that hasn't been done yet. It's extortion and harassment and it's over a tangled blind cord.

This thread is going downhill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 09:24 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,991,150 times
I understand completely. I would just ignore him....walk away. As a matter of fact, I bet he pulled this crap of holding the money just to get your current address. Guarantee this bottom feeder does this crap as a side job!

Trust me. Keep all documentation and stop communicating with him. If he continues, file a police report. Don't give another lawyer any money. They are cut from the same cloth and will both put the screws in you. The whole thing is just friggin' petty. Rise above, and move on.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:10 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,012,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Seriously, it's a none ya.

then dont' come here asking for advice if you're not willing to answer some simple questions regarding your situation. gheesh

Ignore this ass and deal with it when (if) the summons shows up.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:35 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
This thread has indeed gone downhill. The OP's landlord has demanded additional monies in damage over and above the minor deductions from the security deposit which have already been made and which issue is legally over and done with.

The majority has perfectly logically advised the OP to ignore, block, sit back and wait to see if the LL will sue for this additional amount and deal with it then. Most agree that this will never happen.

With the encouragement of just one contributor, the OP has decided that the landlord's demands constitute harassment. Based on scant online material provided to her by this contributor, the OP believes that because the landlord happens to be an attorney, he has violated rules of professional ethic and should be reported to the State Bar.

In my opinion, to veer off on this tangent is a total waste of time and money based on an emotional reaction to a landlord tenant situation which, albeit annoying, unfortunately happens a lot and is easily dealt with. Once again, I urge the OP to carefully reconsider taking this action - and that's all I have to add as everything has already been said. Good luck to the OP.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:19 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,068,325 times
STT, I'm not sure where you got the idea that one poster convinced me to file a complaint with the state bar. I was already aware of this option before I started the thread. I still have not said I was I going to do that. And if you read the actual emails from the LL I don't think you would be so dismissive.

Anyway, I came here looking for info on tenant rights. I didn't come here to be told all lawyers are the same and things like that. I don't think that way.

So thank you to those who legitimately answered my questions. I appreciate it.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:47 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
STT, I'm not sure where you got the idea that one poster convinced me to file a complaint with the state bar. I was already aware of this option before I started the thread. I still have not said I was I going to do that. And if you read the actual emails from the LL I don't think you would be so dismissive.

Anyway, I came here looking for info on tenant rights. I didn't come here to be told all lawyers are the same and things like that. I don't think that way.

So thank you to those who legitimately answered my questions. I appreciate it.
Good for you. I'm glad you are fighting back. This guy needs a consequence.

Oh, and by the way, once your lawyer knows about the misbehavior of the landlord/attorney, he is required to report him to the bar. It is mandatory for lawyers to report misconduct of other attorneys. So, you won't even have to do it, your lawyer will.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 580 times
I am wondering if a landlord can ask you for money back after he did the walk through with the tenant and said the place looks great and actually refunded the entire deposit to the tenant in cash. he then calls and says there are some minor things he found. I feel once he did his walk through and approved it and returned the deposit he has no recourse. just trying to get a clear answer on this. this is in MI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting