Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 02:59 PM

322 posts, read 707,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetljc View Post
Sooo, iinitially, my neighbor complained that this vibration/ shaking was all day and all night. then she changed it to say it is at night. Then she told the property manager that it happens at night when I am not home (I work 3 12 Hr shifts at night) Last night, she stomped over our head when my husband walked and sat down. It was about 9:30-10:00 PM. I knocked on her door and asked why she did that when no one is running or jumping. My oldest was resting next to me and the youngest was asleep. She claimed that the kids have been running since she was home. The thing is 1) When she came in from home, I was about to leave to take my grandmother home. I took our oldest son with us. My husband put our youngest son to bed about 20 minutes later. I am not sure what vibrations she is feeling. I tried to show her how thin the floor is and she looked but was not interested. She claimed she complained to them, but actually the property manager came to her because I told them about her complaining and now banging on our head. She said if she complained again, he told her that he will file court papers.She claims that she feels for us but maybe we are being too soft on our kids and we need to try harder. She says that she deserves to have peace and that she has lived there longer, probably pays more than us and has never had to complain about any family living here.
I sought some advice from a family member who is a lawyer. She said ( as someone already said) I should send her a letter requesting that she stop stomping over our head and that we will cease any contact with her. She said I should explain again that we will do everything in our power to reasonably accommodate her, but if she has any complaints direct it to the office and not us. She said at this point, she is harassing us and she sees it is getting a ride out of us. She said that I should also send this letter to the office as well as one explaining again that we are doing what we can to keep to the vibration down, explaining again about our son's special need truly affect how he acts, understands instruction, etc. Lastly, she said during business hours we should lie our normal lives. After 10 pm, make sure they boys aren't making any crazy sounds (which we do) ans she said I should be ok.
I feel like I am going crazy. I feel like I am punishing my sons for being at their developmental age. My stomach is in knots. It is clear that she doesn't care how we solve this so long as she is not disturbed. I want her to be comfortable, but it doesn't make sense how the boys can be felt from downstairs. Something has to be very wrong with the structure. Plus what can I do about a heavy-footed 20 month old? That is how many of them walk at this age. I can't let this make me sick because it's starting to get to me. I wish the office was more resourceful in this situation. If this keeps going on, we may not be here very long. Sad thing is we actually like living here.
You sure your not on a top floor? Your story sounds a little backwards. I live underneath two autistic twins, yes, I feel their vibration 3 am in the morning when the one starts jumping. I can tell you about those. It's witching hour. At least 1 to 2 nights a week. Wakes up my 2 boys. I wont' cut the mustard, can't stand it. The family belongs on a ground apartment. Not evicted but moved to a unit that is more practical since the parents are "unable to control them." Their words. bastards also brought in Bed Bugs, so they have no favor with me. Than God the complex got it under control along with their overcrowding issue (i.e. too many people living there). All around scumbags.

I think you are slanting the story to your side so people are in agreement. No one here knows what the actual "accurate" situation is to give you a sound solution or judge the situation. She may have just cause for her complaints and mixing that in with regular apartment living noise. We do not have facts and even LL's need to remain bias to some degree as most of them are not direct eyewitness. Even if they were, they cannot just evict someone who is disabled. People who document the disturbance, those complaints do carry some credibility especially if a disability is involved.

The LL can use logic Disability + Kids + Apartments Thin Walls = NOISE . The math is simple. I think most people have better things to do then make up things. You're not that special for people to write saga's to their LL about you for no reason. It's coming from someplace, maybe exaggerated but I don't think so, especially when your child is up at 4pm as I saw in another post.

She doesn't have to feel for you and you don't have to feel for her. People have their own problems that keep them up at nights. Everyone always wants everyone's sympathies and the world to revolve around them and their problems. Good Grief!!! Unless you make a lease with this woman, and accept her checks as paid rent, get over it already.

I totally believe she feels vibrations. More common for people on the bottom to feel tenants above them. Your kids have a disability and that is no crime, but admit they make more noise then an average child, that's why Autistic kids/adults are covered under the fair housing, they make noises that would make other people ripe for eviction. Your LL has every right to read you the riot act, like everyone else.
She can make complaints, especially if the noises are after 11pm thru 5am.

This is your child, own up to it. Just admit, "my kids make noise, they are disabled, and you try the best you can." Don't deny it, that is where people go deaf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 03:13 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
^^^ The OP may never see your comments. The thread is over a year old and she hasn't returned to CD since her last post.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:54 PM

40 posts, read 185,752 times
I'll tell you what you and everyone else with a 20 month year old can do about stomping children: not have children if you live in an apartment. If you can't afford to provide everything a child needs without inconveniencing everyone else around you, then you shouldn't have children. This means making society pay for your child through welfare, to get them thru school, to clothe, to feed them or to let them play.

We don't live in the 1900s. It's not beneficial to society to keep pumping out all these children just because you want them. You're doing a harm and a disservice to society. The Fair Housing laws are way out of step now when it comes to children. Like you can just let children run around the common areas unsupervised? Like that's safe. And then you know what, parents like you will THEN sue when something bad happens to their kids because the PARENTS were not paying attention.

You people are selfish and a blight on society. I don't have one ounce of sympathy. If you can't afford your children 100% DO NOT HAVE THEM!

Old 09-17-2016, 11:03 PM

40 posts, read 185,752 times
"those with disabilities and they have a right to reasonable accommodations"

Let me tell you, when you "parents" pull out the child card in housing, everyone else's rights vanish in this society and that means the disabled as long as they are not children. I'm sickened by how much our legal system favors "families" over other people's rights. This preferential treatment should stop. You're not doing anyone any favors by raising children in an apartment building; just the opposite. ESPECIALLY the kids. It's a sad situation and sad that our society is on your side. EXCEPT people like you are going to have to live with other people's complaints. You caused these complaints, singlehandedly. Now you have to live with them and I hope you experience as much complaining as possible till you take your children somewhere they deserve to be and give everyone else around you a break from having to endure the negative externalities of your poor life choices. If you can't afford them in totality, don't have them. There should be laws against having children now if you can not properly take care of them and that means providing them the space they need to be kids and living in a cooped up apartment building is NOT it.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:10 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Too many modern parents are too indulgent and don't believe in discipline. Children should learn that there is outdoor behavior and indoor behavior. Children who live in apartments should be taken to a nearby park and encouraged to run and scream until they are tired and then taken home and be trained to use their indoor behavior and their indoor voices.

It is not hard to do if the parent is consistent about what behavior they expect. It also does not damage the child's psyche or creativity. All it does is to prepare the child to make himself a better member of society.

But, no, there isn't much a landlord can do about out of control children, so there is less motivation for parents to try to teach their kids manners.

Old 09-19-2016, 03:52 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,619,399 times
So the vibrations. One feels vibrations. So it's not just what she hears... she feels vibrations coming from your apartment? Go along this line and you could make a case for her being plain nutty.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:33 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,619,399 times
Tell her calmly you love the colorful clothes she wears, and the sunlight, and her gentle words, her good vibrations.

Tell her she must be kind....you're picking up good vibrations.

She may take this as a positive expression.

Old 09-26-2021, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,057 times
I live in an upstairs apartment and I always thought that the noise and vibration from the neighbor downstairs was due to her breathing machines and made it very difficult for me to sleep and the vibration and noise has a way of taking a piece of mind away. Since then the neighbor has died but the vibration and the noise is still there the landlord and the maintenance men say they can't hear it but that's not true I just can't imagine what is causing that vibration and noise. I requested another apartment but I really shouldn't have to move

Old 09-27-2021, 12:12 PM

178 posts, read 82,611 times
Sounds like you are really making her problems yours.

Old 09-27-2021, 07:18 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
OPs children sounds like a nightmare. People with loud kids should not live in apartments. I have moved because of people with overly loud children.

Why are they home all day, running and stomping? There is indoor behavior and there is outdoor behavior. Just like there is in the airplane behavior and in the store behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting