Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 05:30 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,146,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
A fantastic tenant is one who paid on time, kept the apt clean and left it in an orderly fashion after 18 months.

An ok tenant is one who paid on time 70% of the time, left when he was asked to after NOT paying rent for 2 months and not making any effort to even pay $20, but left no damage ; left the apt dirty but no damage.

d
I suppose I'm a fantastic tenant then.

I wouldn't call the other one "ok"; I'd call that a bad tenant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 08:21 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,489,070 times
oh thats terrible! I'm sorry for your troubles.. Its people like them that make it hard for me and my husband to rent. Honestly try renting to some local law enforcement if you can find some.. Put up and add at the PD for housing.. Most police have take home cars and with a cop living there you'll have some peace , they won't stand for that. My husband is an officer and the kid downstairs, who I'm convinced is some weird vampire emo kid (he has real honest to god bones in the back of his car dash, and a bumpersticker of a guy getting his face blown off that just reads, I'll put a shotgun to your head) and he keeps quiet as a mouse when he's home.. He used to smoke pot when my husband was away at the academy and it would come up through our vents. And' he'd blast thats screaming hardcore metal music. My husband started bringing home the police car and it alll stopped.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:45 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,580,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
My property managers (who suck, by the way) subjected me to an income verification from my employer (who complained to me about them), a credit check (it's on my credit report), a criminal background check (they even tried to contact the police in North Yorkshire to ensure I didn't have a record there, as well as in Dallas and Austin), and a "renting background check" in which they had to go all the way back to 2001 to find the last period of tenancy...but they wanted to talk to those people anyway to make sure I paid my rent on time. They even wanted to talk to my mortgage lender in the UK to make sure I paid my freaking MORTGAGE on time. They also wanted to know how much cash I had on hand, i.e. my liquid asset situation. I told them NUNYA. It's substantial but none of their business and completely effing irrelevant to my ability to pay the rent; my income more than suffices.

Basically they did everything but give me a rectal exam. And what did I get in return? Lies about the appliances in the unit, leading me to spend hundreds of dollars on a washer/dryer set when there was already one in the unit...and they have refused to lift a finger to rectify that situation.

So yeah...they got a good but pi$$ed off tenant. I pay my rent on time, but they don't do ***** for me. Can't wait to move...and my lease doesn't run out until August 2008.
Sounds like u need 2 move

Old 11-28-2007, 06:10 PM

336 posts, read 844,456 times
Default It's Not Over Yet

Hey Doni, So Sorry For Your Rental Woes. When I Rented Out A Home In Ca., I Always Rented To Students.you'll Never Find A Criminal Element Among Them And They Always Pay Because They Have To Remain In The Area For School. Usually, They Have Employment,scholarships And Parents To Help Them Financially. You Probably Will Have To Rerent Yearly But It Is Well Worth The Cleaning And Interviewing.i Had Very Few Problems Renting To Students-even Noise Was Minimal. I Lived Close By.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
Sounds like u need 2 move
Can't; sub-letting is just another way for a tenant to get screwed, so I'm stuck there until my lease runs out.

I hate landlords and I hate renting. I hear a lot of sob stories from landlords here and given the terrible experiences I have had with slumlords, I can't feel sorry for them.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:32 AM

601 posts, read 1,903,823 times
If you hate renting, your alternative is to buy. otherwise what is your recourse? I am not a slumlord. My rentals are clean, I keep them in the same condition as my own home. ( all my money is tied up in these properties and we maintain them ourselves, so it pays to keep your investment in good condition.) However it is rare that we get them back in anywhere the same condition as when we rented to someone. My husband it at one now taking pictures of the filth and destruction they left behind. You maybe one of the few , much appreciated people that are hard to come by as tenants. These last that I speak of had the water shut off due to non-paymnent and moved out in the night. my husband had the water turned on and the first day he had to leave the unit to get supplies and the scumbags returned to take a bath while he was gone! Even left the water in the tub! (Locks have since been changed.) What gets me is they have small children. If i knew of their whereabouts I'd turn them over to the Dept of Children and Families because it's obvious that where ever they are staying now they have no water.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:36 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,150,148 times
My rentals are my first priority - my own home and comfort come second.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:43 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,441,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Are they the kind of properties you could rent too people who are going on vacation and want to be near the beach on a weekly basis? Homes here in the Orlando area rent for ALOT of money per week that way. Before we moved here, we stayed in a house that rented for $800 a week.

ALOT of people from the UK and Europe prefer to rent this kind of acommodation the a hotel because they can cook for themselves. In the UK they call them a holiday villa. We also rented a place down on Sanibel from a company called Resort Quest, you might check with them to see if they can give you information. They list other peoples property and take a part of the profit so you don't have to deal with the details.

It might be a way to to keep some of them making money. There might not be a market year around, I don't know the area that well.
I was thinking that also. Vacation rentals near the beach are good.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytripper View Post
If you hate renting, your alternative is to buy. otherwise what is your recourse? I am not a slumlord. My rentals are clean, I keep them in the same condition as my own home. ( all my money is tied up in these properties and we maintain them ourselves, so it pays to keep your investment in good condition.) However it is rare that we get them back in anywhere the same condition as when we rented to someone. My husband it at one now taking pictures of the filth and destruction they left behind. You maybe one of the few , much appreciated people that are hard to come by as tenants. These last that I speak of had the water shut off due to non-paymnent and moved out in the night. my husband had the water turned on and the first day he had to leave the unit to get supplies and the scumbags returned to take a bath while he was gone! Even left the water in the tub! (Locks have since been changed.) What gets me is they have small children. If i knew of their whereabouts I'd turn them over to the Dept of Children and Families because it's obvious that where ever they are staying now they have no water.
I do plan to buy. Let me explain my circumstances to you.

Earlier this year, I sold my home in the United Kingdom so I could return to the United States. I arrived back here with no job, no car, and no place to live. I had not resided in the United States for years, so I figured I would not be able to secure a mortgage right away that had anywhere near a competitive interest rate. My first priorities were car and job in that order. Once those were taken care of, I looked for a place to hang my hat that wasn't a relative's house so I could chill the hell out for a little while before going through the hellish stress of buying a house, and to give my credit report some time to fatten up. Your score goes down when you move overseas; I've seen it time and time again with other expats. Mine was high enough to get a mortgage when I got back, but who the hell wants a crappy interest rate?

I was 26 when I became a homeowner for the first time, and I owned my own home for years. You need to understand that as sucky as it is to rent, it is MUCH more sucky to do it after you've owned your own home because landlords by and large treat tenants like $h!t on their shoes and assume that they rent because they can't afford to buy. We're seen as losers. I hate it.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:07 AM

601 posts, read 1,903,823 times
I do undertstand.... I'm originally from Germany. so ,simular circumstances.
but I'm not a slumlord and appreciate GOOD tenants. I don't ever talk down to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting