Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 11:13 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

How do you lose your lease? Did you put it down the garbage disposal?

I suggest you sort through the piles of junk in your house and find the one you "misplaced? (Misplaced doing what? Taking it around to restaurants to show to your friends and gave it to a waitress as a tip?)

I can't imagine picking up a lease, looking at it, and throwing it into the grbage. So it has to be in your house somewhere. Get to work and dig it out.

So, in California the landlord has to give you another copy. In most states, the landlord must give you a copy at the start of the lease and after that you are on your own to keep track of where it is.

What else have you misplaced? Your car title? Your graduation certificate? Your employment contract? Your income tax receipts? It is your job to keep track of where that stuff is. It is not your landlord's job to keep track of where you keep your paperwork.

I suggest that you purchase a metal file cabinet for yourself and train yourself to use it. That will save you an infinite amount of trouble in your life.

This is said in my stern mom voice: "Where was the last place you saw the lease? Now go and look for it there."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 11:18 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
I scan copies and send them to tenants who have lost them with some regularity. Scanning and attaching takes about 10 seconds on our machine. I have no issue doing that. My guess is that she really is sending it, and you aren't getting it for some reason. Have you checked your spam filter?

Old 09-12-2013, 01:51 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,279,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Why should a tenant have to pay for this is a mystery to me. It's about 2 minutes of time and a few sheets of paper. If you scan and email it is even less.

to the OP why don't you drop by their office and stand there smiling until they hand you a copy?
"Have to" has nothing to do with it. I'd rather give her $20 than spend hours standing outside an office, or write a bunch of certified mail letters, or whatever. Some people value their time more than that.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:14 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Sounds like she only missed the statutory time frame be a day or two IF she was not being truthful about e-mailing.

You might reference the California requirement next time you talk/write. Many are unaware and sometimes a little nudge is necessary.

I know working in a large hospital that e-mails do go astray or get delayed... has she responded to any e-mail you have sent?

Old 09-12-2013, 10:33 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I scan copies and send them to tenants who have lost them with some regularity. Scanning and attaching takes about 10 seconds on our machine. I have no issue doing that. My guess is that she really is sending it, and you aren't getting it for some reason. Have you checked your spam filter?
We also send attached documents by electronic means all the time with little issues. But when we do have issues, it’s almost always because of three reasons, 1. They are using some type of portable device that causes problems, 2. They have some type of limited email service that may reject emails with certain size attachments, 3. yes indeed, it's in their Spam folder. The OP should just make a written request for a mailed copy with the rent payment as cashing the check means they got the request.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:45 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
"Have to" has nothing to do with it. I'd rather give her $20 than spend hours standing outside an office, or write a bunch of certified mail letters, or whatever. Some people value their time more than that.
Oh, so sorry. Pardon me for wasting your time by being on your side by the way.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:49 PM

28 posts, read 78,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Sounds like she only missed the statutory time frame be a day or two IF she was not being truthful about e-mailing.

You might reference the California requirement next time you talk/write. Many are unaware and sometimes a little nudge is necessary.

I know working in a large hospital that e-mails do go astray or get delayed... has she responded to any e-mail you have sent?
No email in my spam folder or any other folder. She's has responded to other emails just fine so I'm not understanding the delay. She mentioned to my mediator that she is worried we are going to sue her (previous 2 tenants sued her and won) so many she is not sending it out of fear?

And for the idiot "mom" here. Papers go missing from time to time that happens, no need for you to get so upset as it is non of your business.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

Old 03-07-2014, 01:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,136 times
Default Property Management Charging $200 for old lease info

Does anyone know why it would cost $200 for old lease info? Is there a law that requires them to give me the info? My friend was in an abusive relationship and had her name taken off the lease and moved out in 2012. Now the abuser is trying to sue for rent after she was taken off the lease. So we need a copy of the lease that shows her name was taken off. Any ideas from other landlords?? Any advice would be helpful!

Old 03-07-2014, 04:18 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmill2434 View Post
Does anyone know why it would cost $200 for old lease info?
No. Who is asking for the $200 and what's the justification?

Old 03-07-2014, 05:52 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmill2434 View Post
Does anyone know why it would cost $200 for old lease info? Is there a law that requires them to give me the info? My friend was in an abusive relationship and had her name taken off the lease and moved out in 2012. Now the abuser is trying to sue for rent after she was taken off the lease. So we need a copy of the lease that shows her name was taken off. Any ideas from other landlords?? Any advice would be helpful!

As long as she has proof her name was taken off the lease ( a letter stating her name is off and the other tenant now takes full responsibility all parties sign her the other person named on lease and the LL/manager having authority she should be fine.

The $200 charge that I don't understand. Who charges $200 to copy a few sheets of paper. If a tenant asks for a lease copy I just give them one. I never had this happen but I scan them anyway. Would take me 30 seconds to email another. I'm not that petty to charge for pushing a button and typing a email address
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting