Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 11:14 PM

28 posts, read 78,857 times

Advertisements

I misplaced my lease and I requested a copy from my landlord and she just ignores me. I have requested 3 time now over the past Two weeks, I also enlisted the help of my father which is a real estate broker to be a mediator between us since I cannot get a answer from her. My father spoke to her and she claimed she emailed me a copy 3 times (no such email exist on my end and this is the first time in 3 years I have requested one) she told my father that she would email him a copy (that was 7 days ago and still nothing)

I'm not sure why she would refuse to send me it. Do I have any options in getting a lease or am I just Sol?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 05:30 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
An emailed copy of your lease is not what you want as it likely won't have signatures on it unless the LL scans and sends it. Send her a return receipt certified mail letter asking her for a hard copy of the lease by return mail. You absolutely have a legal right to demand a copy of your lease. You may have to pay the fee for copying and mailing.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:04 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Lol WTF is wrong with people? I had tenants lose a copy of a lease. They ask for one I simply say come by the house ill have one ready. JC

Last edited by Electrician4you; 09-10-2013 at 10:21 PM..

Old 09-11-2013, 05:27 AM

1,263 posts, read 3,280,847 times
Why don't you just proactively offer her $20 cash for a photocopy of the lease? Sounds fair since you were the one to lose your copy.

That also shows you have some respect for her time - as my Grandma says, "you'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."

Old 09-11-2013, 11:25 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
I believe if you check the California sticky and Landlord must supply one copy annually upon request...

If additional requests are made... a charge to cover expenses may be billed.

http://www.housing.ucsc.edu/cro/pdf/...-agreement.pdf

Old 09-12-2013, 09:57 AM

4 posts, read 23,166 times
Agreed with above - if you're on good terms (or even mediocre terms) with the landlord, try to stop by her office and have her make you a photocopy. Might be worth mentioning that you want a copy to be sure you uphold your responsibilities as a tenant, which will make her far more likely to help you out.

Also agreed that she may charge for an additional copy... but it shouldn't be an outrageous amount. There's also the possibility that she misplaced it, too, and doesn't want to admit it. Either way, the "catch more flies with honey" thing usually works in most cases!

Good luck! Let us know if you are able to get a copy. It's been two years for me, and I still have yet to see an original copy of my lease agreement (which in my state, CT, makes any agreement null and void).

Old 09-12-2013, 09:58 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,395,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
Why don't you just proactively offer her $20 cash for a photocopy of the lease? Sounds fair since you were the one to lose your copy.

That also shows you have some respect for her time - as my Grandma says, "you'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."
Why should a tenant have to pay for this is a mystery to me. It's about 2 minutes of time and a few sheets of paper. If you scan and email it is even less.

to the OP why don't you drop by their office and stand there smiling until they hand you a copy?

Old 09-12-2013, 10:22 AM

28 posts, read 78,857 times
She's doesn't have a office to stop by, she works two jobs and her husband is a used car salesman.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:32 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Excerpted from California Civil Code 1962—Landlord’s Responsibility to Provide a Copy of Rental Agreement

4) Provide a copy of the rental agreement or lease to the tenant within 15 days of its execution by the tenant.

Once each calendar year thereafter, upon request by the tenant, the owner or owner's agent shall provide an additional copy to the tenant within 15 days.

If the owner or owner's agent does not possess the rental agreement or lease or a copy of it, the owner or owner's agent shall instead furnish the tenant with a written statement stating that fact and containing the information required by paragraphs (1), (2), and (3).
(b) In the case of an oral rental agreement, the owner, or a person acting on behalf of the owner for the receipt of rent or otherwise, shall furnish the tenant, within 15 days of the agreement, with a written statement containing the information required by paragraphs (1), (2), and (3) of subdivision (a). Once each calendar year thereafter, upon request by the tenant, the owner or owner's agent shall provide an additional copy of the statement to the tenant within 15 days.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 09-12-2013 at 10:46 AM..

Old 09-12-2013, 11:00 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,574 times
Cool well?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFreddie View Post
I misplaced my lease and I requested a copy from my landlord and she just ignores me. I have requested 3 time now over the past Two weeks, I also enlisted the help of my father which is a real estate broker to be a mediator between us since I cannot get a answer from her. My father spoke to her and she claimed she emailed me a copy 3 times (no such email exist on my end and this is the first time in 3 years I have requested one) she told my father that she would email him a copy (that was 7 days ago and still nothing)

I'm not sure why she would refuse to send me it. Do I have any options in getting a lease or am I just Sol?

be
what is all this? Maybe your device is not compatible w/hers? Geez....

Sent from my home pc using common sense
Koale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting