Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 11:59 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Actually, reading that again, I don't see any reason to think that the damage was caused by your guest. They didn't call the police and they didn't break the door. I can't see where the guest has any obligation at all, unless the email was a bad joke about slitting their own wrists.
The guest was the one that told his boss something and that boss knew where he was staying and sent the police based ON the guest's email/letter whatever. It is most definitely the guest's fault. That guest should have paid it and then tried to get is from his boss if he needed to. But the guest started it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 12:56 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
The guest was the one that told his boss something and that boss knew where he was staying and sent the police based ON the guest's email/letter whatever. It is most definitely the guest's fault. That guest should have paid it and then tried to get is from his boss if he needed to. But the guest started it all.
But it makes not a whit of difference who was at fault. The tenants have to pay. The LL has no interest in who did what to who, just needs to have the damage taken care of by the people who signed the lease.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:57 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Actually, reading that again, I don't see any reason to think that the damage was caused by your guest. They didn't call the police and they didn't break the door. I can't see where the guest has any obligation at all, unless the email was a bad joke about slitting their own wrists.
I'm wondering the same thing. The landlord and tenants are all victims here according to the limited information we have. If a burglar broke in the door it would not be the tenants fault, the landlord would have to get his insurance company to replace it. I think it is the same here, as best we can tell neither the tenants or their guest were directly responsible for the police breaking in the door.

Once at an apartment complex I lived at 3 drunk college frat boys broke in the door of an apartment to forcibly drag another student student tenant out of the apartment against his will, as part of some kind of hazing ritual that went out of control. I do not believe the student tenant was responsible for the door being broken in, he was a victim of the frat boys violence.

If no one was able to identify the frat boys who committed the crime, the landlord would have to replace the door, in my opinion.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
It does not sound to me like either you or your guest were specifically responsible for the police breaking in unless you gave the permission. Who gave the police permission to enter with force? If the permission granting was a group decision by all tenants then the group is responsible.

I think the police are off the hook since they obtained permission. Whoever granted that permission is ultimately responsible for it.
I have not seen an answer to this question:

"Who gave the police permission to enter with force?"

It seems that if someone granted permission, they were taking responsibility for the damage the police had to do.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:55 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
I have not seen an answer to this question:

"Who gave the police permission to enter with force?"

It seems that if someone granted permission, they were taking responsibility for the damage the police had to do.

True, but did the police really need permission if they felt someone's life was in danger?

This person was in the unit because he was invited in. Doesn't matter who did the inviting, the tenant or a friend of the tenant, he was invited in. The tenant is responsible for the actions of those in his unit, therefore, his guest caused the damage by sending some stupid ass email.

Of course you can't expect a tenant to pay for damage from a burglar, unless the tenant was negligent, because we don't normally invite (or give permission) to burglars to be on our property.

Its no different if you had a friend over who got rip roaring drunk and punched holes in your walls. Who do you think the landlord is going to go after? You that's who. You're on the lease, you invited the moron in, and you're responsible for your guests actions.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:03 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Unless you post exactly what the guest said then no it isn't. It's like the above poster said. The guest didn't call the police and tell them to break down the door. That was a third party.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:05 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
I do expect a tenant to fully cooperate if there is a burglary.

Years ago, something didn't sound right when a tenant called and said her door had been kicked in...

I asked about a police report and she said she didn't call... asked what was taken and she said nothing.

Turns out it was her daughter's boyfriend and learned this from a neighbor.

Needless to say her tenancy was over.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:58 PM

639 posts, read 1,964,218 times
Quote:
I would probably blame the boss who called, assuming the boss called the police over something that obviously wasn't a suicide threat. OP, what did your guest say to his boss to trigger all this, anyway?

Unfortunately so much time has passed trying to get that boss to pay is going to be difficult if not impossible. This really should have been taken care of when it happened. What have you guys been doing for a front door for the past 9 months? It is just open to the weather and any passing burglar or what?

Old 09-14-2013, 11:46 AM

My comments below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
True, but did the police really need permission if they felt someone's life was in danger? If they did not need permission then why did the police request it? Regardless, the act of giving permission is an act of taking responsibility for the action.

This person was in the unit because he was invited in. Doesn't matter who did the inviting, the tenant or a friend of the tenant, he was invited in. The tenant is responsible for the actions of those in his unit, therefore, his guest caused the damage by sending some stupid ass email.

Neither the tenant or the guest committed the damage, the Police did, we have no evidence that the email was "stupid ass" or reasonable justification for what transpired later, that is an assumption on your part, an assumption with no evidence.

Of course you can't expect a tenant to pay for damage from a burglar, unless the tenant was negligent, because we don't normally invite (or give permission) to burglars to be on our property.

Its no different if you had a friend over who got rip roaring drunk and punched holes in your walls. Who do you think the landlord is going to go after? You that's who. You're on the lease, you invited the moron in, and you're responsible for your guests actions.

That is a completely different situation, not at all parrallel to this one, and there is no evidence that the guests actions could have reasonably resulted in the damage that occured. You are jumping to conclusions, with facts not in evidence.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:58 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
My comments below:

Do you really think the police are going to foot the bill for this door? They were asked to come to the unit, they were told to break down the door because there was a possibility someone's life was in danger.

That someone was known to all the lease holders (read the first post). That someone was invited in (read the first post). That someone was left alone in a the unit (read the first post). That someone sent an email to their boss who called the police because they feared this person was in danger (read the first post).

What assumptions am I making? Any comment I made was based on what I read in the first post.

The OP and fellow leaser holders are responsible for the damage to the door because it was caused by the actions of their guest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting