Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2013, 09:26 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,451,030 times

Advertisements

Hi - my husband and I live in an apartment complex. We have our base rent and then all of the "extras" (ie: cable - which is included in our rent, valet waste pick up, water etc) One time while making a payment, my husband noticed that the bill was a lot higher than it should be. I looked at valet waste and the other amenities were accidentally charged twice. We paid the amount we should have, and he emailed them.

This was a few months ago, but this balance still stayed on the account. The other day we had a letter demanding that back money (They never responded to the email a few months ago) My husband emailed them on Wednesday and never heard anything. Went down there today and talked to them and the manager wasn't there. He talked to the assistant, but not the main manager, she had gone home for the day.

The main manager is off tomorrow, and the letter said we had until Monday to pay the back rent (which we really don't owe - it was a computer glitch.) or else we will be evicted.

The other lady said we would be okay - but we have nothing in writing. However, she is the assistant, and not the main manager. Our issue has to be handled by the main manager. Plus they hardly ever get back to us about anything.

I'm thinking just pay what they think we owe - and just apply it to next month. However, I don't know if that would admit we were in the "wrong" even though we weren't. If we pull up our monthly payments, they are all are about the same (w/ water it varies, but no more than a $10 difference) this was an additional $160 or something like.

I'm just really worried about being out on the street.

We are looking to leave this complex anyway when our lease is up. They changed management in February and I don't care for the new management much.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 10:00 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,963,123 times
Write a letter to the management. Tell them point blank that you do not owe them the money they say. Explain why the charges are wrong and what the error was. Explain who you communicated originally on this and each and every communications you had with them on this. Include copies of any and all written communications from the very first attempted to get this corrected to current. Demand that they immediately correct their mistake and cease any and all actions against you.

Make two copies. Place the original in an envelope, place one copy in an envelope, and place the 2nd copy in your file. Mail the original to the management company Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested. If the post office is open tomorrow, get it in the mail Saturday for a hopefully Monday delivery. Do the same for the copy but send it to yourself. Do not open the envelope when you receive it.

That's the only advice up to this point and the next set depends on what the management company does. If the facts are true and this was an error on their part, even if they attempt to evict you, you go to court with your evidence and most likely you will prevail and possible even get some compensation.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:07 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,092 times
You won't be evicted overnight. They are long drawn out battles that can take a couple of months. Go to your leasing office and stay with them until you see them remove the overcharges on your account.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:12 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
It may not be overnight, but it won't be months either. Here in Florida evictions move pretty quickly. 30-45 days tops...especially when it's for non payment.

I'm not understanding why you sent an email months ago and are just now following up on it? Things like this need immediate, constant attention until corrected. I'm surprised they didn't follow up sooner.

Send a RRC letter to the leasing manager clearly explaining the situation. Also make sure you're calling and stopping by as often as you can until you speak to the manager and get this cleared up.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:03 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,451,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
It may not be overnight, but it won't be months either. Here in Florida evictions move pretty quickly. 30-45 days tops...especially when it's for non payment.

I'm not understanding why you sent an email months ago and are just now following up on it? Things like this need immediate, constant attention until corrected. I'm surprised they didn't follow up sooner.

Send a RRC letter to the leasing manager clearly explaining the situation. Also make sure you're calling and stopping by as often as you can until you speak to the manager and get this cleared up.
The new management is not good at responding or fixing issues. Another time, when we paid rent, there was a computer glitch and it doubled the payment. They said, "Oh that couldn't happen." It ended up bouncing because it was close to $2,000. Luckily, they were good w/ handling that because the account online then would not accept it. We had to go and get money orders (we don't have checks) That was the only time they were nice, because it was after the due date, but since it was their fault and we had proof there was no penalties.

We have wrote them multiple times about multiple things and never have got back to us. At least the maintenance requests are quick though. Management, not so much.

I ended up paying the $215. (which is what it was) I did screen shots and we are going to print out copies of our payments to show that it was double charged. It showed what we owed, broke it down by the HOA fee, valet waste fee, cable fee, etc. All of those were double charged. Another computer glitch and then see if we can have a credit of $215 on our account.

They aren't good w/ getting back to us, but i would assume they would be good at getting rid of us, I didn't want to take any chances! Even though the assistant said, "you'll be okay." From the time before w/ "oh that couldn't happen" with the double payment, I don't trust what they say!

February can not come here soon enough. The new apt we are looking at is so much nicer. Hardwood floors and SO much more storage too.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:00 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
Good call. Easier on the blood pressure to pay the bill and deal with them later. Good for you on your new place. It won't be long :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting