Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 01:05 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times

Advertisements

I have lost my housing and need to find a new rental by the end of this month. This area has had a recent influx of oil and gas workers with fat per diem checks that allow them to out-compete locals on housing rentals. It's been impossible for me to find anything in my price range, and I am amazed at how picky the landlords around here have become. It's worse than applying and interviewing for a job to go through the rental process here. I'm fed up with complete strangers demanding all sorts of personal information while sharing nothing about themselves in return. The excuse is always, "Well in the past we had tweakers/meth labs/200 cats that peed on the carpet," etc. I understand their desire to have a responsible tenant, but when someone grills me for an hour, wants background, credit, character references AND my social security number and job history that's ridiculous. How the hell do I know THEY'RE on the level? I have nightmare stories of my own about landlords from hell and I bet everyone else does, too.

Why should I give complete strangers all my personal information? For all I know they're scammers trying to pull off idenity theft and don't even own the place they pretend to be renting. If I might have 200 cats that pee on the rug, maybe the landlord has a habit of ripping off tenant's security deposits. If I might punch holes in the walls, maybe the landlord has a habit of not bothering to repair ANYTHING.

If they're so suspicious of me than maybe I should be suspicious of THEM. Therefore, I have written up an application of my own to have potential landlords fill out. Feel free to use it as a template for application forms of your own:

LANDLORD APPLICATION

Due to bad experiences with past landlords, potential landlords who wish to rent a property to me are required to fill out the following information and pass both background and credit ratings checks. There will be a $25.00 non-refundable fee to cover the cost of the background check. This payment must be made at the time of your application. In addition, you must provide a notarized copy of your mortgage or property deed to prove that you are the legal owner of the rental unit(s). Thank you for your cooperation.

Please note: THIS FORM MUST BE FILLED OUT WITH A BLUE BALLPOINT PEN ONLY IN ORDER TO BE ACCEPTED.

Name_________________________________(maiden or other names)______________

Address___________________________________________ ______________________

Home Phone____________ Work Phone_____________ Cell Number____________

Place of Employment and name of Supervisor___________________________________

*Have you ever evicted a tenant? (circle one) Yes No

*Have you ever withheld a tenant’s damage/cleaning deposit or part there-of? Yes No

*Has a tenant ever filed a complaint against you under the Fair Housing Act? Yes No

Do you own a pet(s)? (circle one) Yes No

Do you own other rental properties in this area? (circle one) Yes No

List additional properties address(es):

__________________________________________________ ____________________

Please give the name and phone number of no less than 3 former tenants who will provide references. Note: AT LEAST ONE REFERENCE MUST BE FROM A PRIOR SECTION 8 TENANT____________________________________________ ____________________

__________________________________________________ ______________________

PAGE 2

Will you be (circle one) Absentee Landlord Local Landlord

If absentee, please give name of management company and/or name(s) of local maintenance/repair service providers__________________________________

__________________________________________________ ______________

*Has a complaint with the Better Business Bureau ever been filed against any service provider listed above? (circle one) Yes No

What will your previous tenants say about you as a landlord? Please describe:

*Are you now or were you ever a member of the Communist Party? (circle one) Yes No

*If “yes” give explanation in the space provided below. Attach extra sheets if needed.

I swear to God and hope to die that all my answers to the above are true and that I am not now was not ever a slumlord. Sign below. ( Signature must be witnessed and stamped by a licensed notary public)

Print Name_______________________ Signature________________________ Date_________
(this space for notary seal)

Thank you for your interest in being my landlord. Please be aware that my office processes many applications each day and that it takes 3 – 7 days for an application to be verified. If your application is accepted, you will be notified by registered mail. No phone calls please.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:28 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I like it. Let us know how it works out for you :-)

Old 09-13-2013, 04:43 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,517,433 times
My current tenants mentioned they checked property tax records to both ensure I was the owner and you can also see if taxes are paid. They wanted to be sure as possible the house was not in foreclosure, a pretty common thing here in FL. That sort of basic info is freely available online.

But it was simply them showing up while I was still cleaning and repairing from the last tenant that showed them I was not a deadbeat landlord.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:54 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
So do it. Tell them you aren't renting from them if they don't fill it out.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:33 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Why on earth would it matter to you if they rightfully evicted a tenant or rightfully used part of the security deposit to pay for damages? I would in fact prefer these types of LL as it shows them being responsible.

I would however google the heck out of them and see if there are any complaints. And I would ask questions at my inspecting the unit about their turnaround on repairs etc. And I would want it noted on the lease their timeframes as well. If they scoff or say no, I move on. Been there done that. (not doing true emergency repairs that is)

Old 09-13-2013, 07:14 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
My applicants are always welcome to ask anything. But if they want to live there, I get to decide based on their app and references.

They are going to be living in a property I bought with my life's savings and each month paying, basically, just a bit more than my costs. Their risk is really pennies to dollars. Mine is losing everything. Sorry if you are offended by applications.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:16 AM

912 posts, read 5,261,323 times
How cute, this is something that is emailed from grandma with the heading "FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD:"

If you want to play by your rules, buy your own property. If you live in somebody's property, you gotta play by their rules.

As far as being mad that you can't compete in getting the places you want because other people have more money... well, though luck. I'd love a luxury penthouse suite overlooking the park.. but I can't compete with these pesky billionaires.

I just don't get your argument...

Old 09-13-2013, 09:01 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
I love it and I agree with OP 100%! Landlord can be the scum of the earth!

Old 09-13-2013, 09:10 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I love it and I agree with OP 100%! Landlord can be the scum of the earth!
And tenants likewise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:10 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Any landlord with experience has evicted a tenant, and has held some or all of a tenant's security deposit for damages. We have 150 rental properties we manage, about 20 of them, we own. We have not only evicted tenants and held deposits, we have sued tenants. We have had tenants sue us one time, which we won 100% as they were crazy people.

That doesn't make us bad landlords. I LOVE giving tenants 100% of their deposit back, because it means they left the place move in ready and I didn't have to do anything.

I will say that your "references section that must include a section 8 reference" is pretty telling. I assume that means you are section 8.

I will also tell you that if a tenant applicant ever gave me something like this, especially in a landlord's market like we have right now, where we are running at less than 1% vacancy, I would laugh in their face, reject them, and move on to the next of the 10+ applications I get on every turnover.

I want good tenants. Part of the definition of "good tenant" is hassle free. You'd be showing the landlord right up front that you are high maintenance.

Having said all of that, I do HIGHLY recommend that tenants do their research and make sure they are renting from either the owner of the property or a legitimate property manager.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting