U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 09:30 AM

11 posts, read 16,930 times

Advertisements

I purchased a house, something that I wasnít expecting to happen so fast, but we got a good deal and we couldnít pass it up. The situation is this I still have 3 months lease remaining on where I live now (Dec-31) and I canít afford paying for two places (over $1500 total), so I called the landlord and tried to work a deal with them and arrange payments, but they refused to even consider any deals and my only option is to pay for the 3 months or pay 2 months and surrender the security deposit which is almost the same amount. I have a family of 5 and there is no way I can afford paying for 2 places or pay them a one lump sum of $2100, so what can I do, and what are the consequences if I moved out without paying for the last 3 months considering that I would clean up the place to better than what it was when I moved in, and they have my security deposit and my payments are up to date
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 10:55 AM

5,408 posts, read 5,711,255 times
They would take you to court and you would lose, plus it would hurt your reputation.

Ask if you can sublet for that time (actually better to check your lease first). Or see if you can postpone closing on the new house for another 30 days to gain one month without double pay. Otherwise, just pay up.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:15 AM

7,451 posts, read 8,664,614 times
Sounds like your 'good deal' may be at someone else's expense.

Perhaps you could ask your Landlord if you could pay to advertize for another renter -- and when one was found that was suitable to the Landlord, secure a release from your lease.

In that way, you would actually incur the time and expense of finding another renter -- and your Landlord would actually secure a new renter, instead of having to find one himself in 3-months (at his time and expense) after you leave.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:45 AM

6,719 posts, read 15,508,023 times
You're not paying as much "extra" as you think. If you just contracted something, you're probably not closing until October. That means you don't have a November mortgage payment, but your first payment is December. So, October you pay the lease and November you pay the lease. There are no double payments on those months. The only month with a double payment is December, and if you can't afford the $1500 overlap, then, no offense, you can't afford to buy a house. What happens if you get a hail storm and need a new roof and your deductible is $1500. Can you afford that?

Old 09-13-2013, 12:01 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,255,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Perhaps you could ask your Landlord if you could pay to advertize for another renter -- and when one was found that was suitable to the Landlord, secure a release from your lease.

In that way, you would actually incur the time and expense of finding another renter -- and your Landlord would actually secure a new renter, instead of having to find one himself in 3-months (at his time and expense) after you leave.
If your landlord doesn't go for this, and you can't afford to pay, I'd sublease to someone even if it weren't allowed in your lease. Big risk, and you could lose your deposit, but it'll probably be better than losing 3 months worth of rent.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
They would take you to court and you would lose, plus it would hurt your reputation.

Ask if you can sublet for that time (actually better to check your lease first). Or see if you can postpone closing on the new house for another 30 days to gain one month without double pay. Otherwise, just pay up.
I did already close and my first payment starts OCT 1. i'm not trying to scam them or not pay, but i can't pay them a one lump sum, so i wanted to work a payment deal with them but they just won't work with me at all. so the options would be me walking out not paying and dealing with cort or agree to me making payments becasue that is all i can do.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Sounds like your 'good deal' may be at someone else's expense.

I'm not trying to make my Good deal at someone else's expense, i am trying to pay them for the rest of the lease but i can't make the whole one lump sum like they want, and i can't make the regular payment while paying my morgage.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:12 PM

4,511 posts, read 10,958,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYM2013 View Post
I'm not trying to make my Good deal at someone else's expense, i am trying to pay them for the rest of the lease but i can't make the whole one lump sum like they want, and i can't make the regular payment while paying my morgage.
No matter how you present it, it's still at your landlord's expense. Either they are going to lose their monthly income by your non-payment, or they have to delay income to suit your payment schedule (what if they need that income on time to pay their expenses?), or they have the cost of taking you to court in addition to the lost monthly income.

The best option presented so far is to find another renter to take over your payments.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:17 PM
EA

5,023 posts, read 3,961,185 times
I expect to have this problem next year. I want to get into a house in less than a year. Renting sucks. Apartment complexes suck.
The laws do seem to favor the leaseholders, so you'll have to pay one way or another.
I'll have to prepare for this.
Maybe you should have too?

Old 09-13-2013, 02:19 PM

7,883 posts, read 15,579,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYM2013 View Post
I purchased a house, something that I wasnít expecting to happen so fast, but we got a good deal and we couldnít pass it up. The situation is this I still have 3 months lease remaining on where I live now (Dec-31) and I canít afford paying for two places (over $1500 total), so I called the landlord and tried to work a deal with them and arrange payments, but they refused to even consider any deals and my only option is to pay for the 3 months or pay 2 months and surrender the security deposit which is almost the same amount. I have a family of 5 and there is no way I can afford paying for 2 places or pay them a one lump sum of $2100, so what can I do, and what are the consequences if I moved out without paying for the last 3 months considering that I would clean up the place to better than what it was when I moved in, and they have my security deposit and my payments are up to date

You already know your options so what's the problem? Choose one and move on.

Your landlord doesn't have to do you any favors because you're choosing to break the lease early. And your finances, or should I say 'lack of finances' are none of your landlord's concern. If you can't afford to pay $2100 in one lump sum you have some major financial issues that need to be dealt with before you take on a mortgage and a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting