Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 01:22 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
So true. This kind of already happened....APS was called out in January because of two reason (1) they were informed (by who I don't know) that my grandmother was being abused by my mother and (2) the conditions of the house were terrible.

They contacted my uncle and told him that they planned to go in there and do a deep cleaning, construction, etc. and make the house liveable so my grandmother could stay in it (because she told them she wanted to stay).

My mother and grandmother were both hysterical over this, and I really felt they were going to give my grandmother a heart attack from the stress. So I made an agreement with APS that I would sell the house and get my grandmother out of there. So that's how this all happened.

Maybe I should have just let APS do their thing.
I think that is the only option you have left.

Once the authorities have actually removed Grandma from the home......you can then step in to help her find better living arrangements.....either with your Uncle or elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 01:22 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
So true. This kind of already happened....APS was called out in January because of two reason (1) they were informed (by who I don't know) that my grandmother was being abused by my mother and (2) the conditions of the house were terrible.

They contacted my uncle and told him that they planned to go in there and do a deep cleaning, construction, etc. and make the house liveable so my grandmother could stay in it (because she told them she wanted to stay).

My mother and grandmother were both hysterical over this, and I really felt they were going to give my grandmother a heart attack from the stress. So I made an agreement with APS that I would sell the house and get my grandmother out of there. So that's how this all happened.

Maybe I should have just let APS do their thing.
Maybe you can contact APS and let them know about the possibility of grandma backing out of selling. See if they have an alternative. Maybe grandma will see that she must move else the alternative will occur. Maybe make sure the buyer gets wind of this info. Possibly the buyer can use APS as a tool to get grandma to decide to move out because it's in her best interest. Else APS takes over and does what they planned originally.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:31 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Maybe you can contact APS and let them know about the possibility of grandma backing out of selling. See if they have an alternative. Maybe grandma will see that she must move else the alternative will occur. Maybe make sure the buyer gets wind of this info. Possibly the buyer can use APS as a tool to get grandma to decide to move out because it's in her best interest. Else APS takes over and does what they planned originally.
I was considering this. I called APS last week to find out about possible "reopening" the case, since they had closed it when we agreed to get my grandmother out of there. The person I spoke to was useless and basically said "what do I want APS to do". Maybe I should call and try to speak to someone else. Maybe if they went down there and scared both of them again, they would let the sale go through.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:32 PM

I did contact APS about reopening the case and they took down all the info and said they had to hand it in to the superior and for me to check back in a few days.

I told them everything, about my mother and her emotional abuse, her financial exploitation, etc.

I don't know if anything will happen from it but at least I informed them of the situation. They were involved initially and if something happens to my grandmother at least I informed them that she is still in a dangerous situation.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:21 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
I did contact APS about reopening the case and they took down all the info and said they had to hand it in to the superior and for me to check back in a few days.

I told them everything, about my mother and her emotional abuse, her financial exploitation, etc.

I don't know if anything will happen from it but at least I informed them of the situation. They were involved initially and if something happens to my grandmother at least I informed them that she is still in a dangerous situation.
Let it go and stick to your former decision:

Quote:
Thanks! Like I said, I am at peace with the decision. There is only so much that can be done, and now both of them are stuck in that hellhole house until one of the passes. So be it, I tried.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Let it go and stick to your former decision:
Yea, I know. I just figured I would let APS be aware of the situation, especially since, God forbid something happens to my grandmother in the house, I can say I contacted you prior and told you that she was still in danger there.

That's the last thing I plan to do.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Yea, I know. I just figured I would let APS be aware of the situation, especially since, God forbid something happens to my grandmother in the house, I can say I contacted you prior and told you that she was still in danger there.

That's the last thing I plan to do.
Smart move, IMO.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Smart move, IMO.
Thanks!

There's no way APS can stop the sale right? My attorney was just able to reach an agreement with the buyer and my grandmother is going to be removed from the house by my uncle tonight. She is ok with this...she understands it's what has to happen.

I called APS and they said they were going to reopen the case and investigate but when I told them my grandmother would be getting out of the house, the man told me to fax a letter and then he would submit it to "close the file", but first it would have to be approved...

I don't mind if they go down there and investigate, I just don't want any more delays for the sale.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks!

There's no way APS can stop the sale right? My attorney was just able to reach an agreement with the buyer and my grandmother is going to be removed from the house by my uncle tonight. She is ok with this...she understands it's what has to happen.

I called APS and they said they were going to reopen the case and investigate but when I told them my grandmother would be getting out of the house, the man told me to fax a letter and then he would submit it to "close the file", but first it would have to be approved...

I don't mind if they go down there and investigate, I just don't want any more delays for the sale.
I don't know for sure.....but I would think that APS wouldn't be worried about the house......they are supposed to be looking out for the well being of your Grandmother......not real estate.

And.....even if they did bring up the sale of the house......you could easily prove to them that the sale of the house is also going to benefit your Grandmother.

If anything is going to disrupt the sale of the house, I think it would be your Mother.

Fingers crossed that everything goes well tonight.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:17 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,237,430 times
Update?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting