Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 08:21 PM

189 posts, read 643,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

Perhaps you could also post in the city forum where you're moving? Ask for advice on good areas, etc.?

Good luck!
Thanks. I'm actually in a small rural community without an active city data presence.

I put myself on a waiting list at two semi-clean complexes far away from campus. Something will work out.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 08:43 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
ClayRing

Sometimes the town or city will maintain a list of established landlords and property owners with contact numbers. If the town has a website, it may be worth a check.

Good luck. Nowadays, I wouldn't want to be renting either. We sold our rental house because of all the headaches and scams we were beginning to encounter.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:24 PM

189 posts, read 643,619 times
So they emailed me again today, this time with a DIFFERENT verification link.... this is one that I plug in my details, pay with a credit card, they'll call my number and "verify that I'm not a bot". All for the low low price of $40. Why would I be a bot? We had been having a conversation for the past day!

I've reported it to Craigslist and just for good measure, I notified Google that a gmail address was being used in a scam.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:29 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayRing View Post
So they emailed me again today, this time with a DIFFERENT verification link.... this is one that I plug in my details, pay with a credit card, they'll call my number and "verify that I'm not a bot". All for the low low price of $40. Why would I be a bot? We had been having a conversation for the past day!

I've reported it to Craigslist and just for good measure, I notified Google that a gmail address was being used in a scam.
To me these scams are so obvious, but I guess not everybody has been around as long as I have. They must have some successes or they wouldn't keep trying.

I'm glad you reported them, so maybe you can save an unknowing victim out there.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:55 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayRing View Post
I've relocated to another state. While I really prefer to buy, I'm not finding anything that meets my needs, so I've started to look for an apartment. I really really didn't want to do this. Mainly because I've owned my own place for 15+ years, so suddenly living under someone else's rules is very unsettling to me.

I'm in a college town where rentals at this time of year are really very slim pickings. So I have taken to Craigslist to start looking to see what I can find.

Yesterday, I found an ad describing a place located in a "good neighborhood" that offers a month-to-month lease. To me, this was perfect because I don't want to be stuck in a place for 12 months if I end up finding my dream home in 4. Only drawback - no pictures. Against my better judgement, I emailed and asked where is the apartment, and do they have a pet policy?

I get an email back late last night. I was assured that the property was in a "good neighborhood" (not what I asked) and no restrictions on pets, as long as I pay for any damage they might cause (should have been yet another red flag). Then I responded that I really would like more info. I was sent back a link for a background check, stating that this makes it easier on the landlord financially and I would be required to provide the PDF from the site prior to any additional conversations. I visit the site, and it's a $40 a pop background search that I'm assuming I need to pay. I have no problem paying this, but I don't even know if this is a place I'm interested in renting! The landlord also sent emails talking about how if I have bad credit or a criminal record, no worries. They'll work with me.

Because I'm so rusty at this, I still didn't figure out I should walk away. So I tried one more time - look, I'm not willing to pay for a background check until I see the property. I have no criminal record and my credit rating is nearly 800. I'd be happy to bring income validation to the showing, but that's it. I didn't hear back.

In hindsight, I should have seen so many red flags. But the reason for my lengthy story is this: I still don't have a home and still am going to need to rely on CraigsList to find things. Is it safe to assume anything that is posted without an address or pictures is bad news?

Thanks in advance!
Clay, it is always easy in hindsight to see the red flags but you did the most important thing. You did not part with money or personal information when you were uncomfortable. In this case, before you even saw the place

Old 09-21-2013, 08:28 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,452,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
No address or no pictures is not necessarily a scam. Sending you to a website which requires payment before you see any pictures is.
I agree 100%. Also, I think a good rule of thumb is if you are uneasy about it, don't do it. A few years ago I was laid off and looking for jobs. I actually found my job on Craigslist, but another one wanted me to fill out a credit check application because they require all people to use the company vehicle or something like that. Didn't fill it out and marked it as scam.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:17 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,995,568 times
I'm glad you dodged that scam, Clay!

Where I live, it's normal not to put the address in rental ads, for security.

People post photos, and descriptions of the location, e.g. 'quiet street near 5th and Main' or, for apartments in complexes, they list the name/location of the complex and tell you what floor the vacant unit is on.

As for finding a temporary place, in a college town homeowners often rent out spare rooms, sometimes with a private entrance Might be worth considering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting