U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 10:30 AM

8 posts, read 19,773 times

Advertisements

We have always paid, we have been here 20 years, I am shaky this morning because the Lardlord called drunk, yelled at me, because I had his money and was going to give it to him when he came to fix the sink,pool pump and toilet. Well, he fixed the pump but not the sink,toilet and leak in roof, that has been for 3-4 years now, thought he was going come back and do that. I am all over the place here, but rent was due on the 6th, we used to pay it, what, for 17 years on the 11th. Oh, and he wants another $60 cuz it was late...and if I don't have his money, get out!!
Days went by, and bonus, we got a note from the city to trim our trees. We like our tress, because the air conditioner doesn't work well or at all really, we had to put in window conditioners.
Well, LL calls me ranting that I wasn't there when he came, and where is his money, he can evict my A**, yes he said it, told him I had the cash, he told me to shut up, he was gonna come tonight and get it plus $60 and serve me a pay or quit notice..
This guy, is to me, EVIL...he really thinks I am trying to play him, or am always like lying I guess, and then sad/funny part is I have always been truthful with him...I really don't have time for games, but hardships and sickness have happened, and he is thinking who knows what..
I am thinking he would just like us to leave, but I have 3 kids, who have had enough trauma, I think he has given me at least 6 quite or pay notices, even though we always pay, he really has no human compassion, nor does his wife.
I know, the smart thing would be to move, but I am so rooted here...I have also been lets say really depressed for years, and have just snapped out of it, the last 12 days
I used to rent from his brother who was a sweetheart!!
So I have been told I should go to the city, and check out my rights...
I will add more when I have time, because didn't even mention how he cut our hose, to use and jimmy fix the pump, which has broken 3 times anyway, and WE have to pay the pool man, and when they do come and work on projects, alcohol, is always involved, PARTY time, now that I can't afford to give him drinks, everything is an issue, yes, have pix of that somewhere too.
thanks for listening and advice...
Thanks,
~jewelz...still shaking from last night..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 10:39 AM

25,316 posts, read 37,381,995 times
It wouldn't happen if you pay your rent and not just pay, pay on time. Tenants always complain and blame a landlord for repairs when they get slammed with legal late fees for non or late payments.

You are the one who can avoid that by just paying the RENT!

Old 09-19-2013, 10:48 AM

20,919 posts, read 25,600,008 times
It sounds to me like you could solve your problems by paying your rent on time. That would save you that late fee every month, too.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:48 AM

4,374 posts, read 8,657,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelz122 View Post
We have always paid, we have been here 20 years, I am shaky this morning because the Lardlord called drunk, yelled at me, because I had his money and was going to give it to him when he came to fix the sink,pool pump and toilet. Well, he fixed the pump but not the sink,toilet and leak in roof, that has been for 3-4 years now, thought he was going come back and do that. I am all over the place here, but rent was due on the 6th, we used to pay it, what, for 17 years on the 11th. Oh, and he wants another $60 cuz it was late...and if I don't have his money, get out!!
Days went by, and bonus, we got a note from the city to trim our trees. We like our tress, because the air conditioner doesn't work well or at all really, we had to put in window conditioners.
Well, LL calls me ranting that I wasn't there when he came, and where is his money, he can evict my A**, yes he said it, told him I had the cash, he told me to shut up, he was gonna come tonight and get it plus $60 and serve me a pay or quit notice..
This guy, is to me, EVIL...he really thinks I am trying to play him, or am always like lying I guess, and then sad/funny part is I have always been truthful with him...I really don't have time for games, but hardships and sickness have happened, and he is thinking who knows what..
I am thinking he would just like us to leave, but I have 3 kids, who have had enough trauma, I think he has given me at least 6 quite or pay notices, even though we always pay, he really has no human compassion, nor does his wife.
I know, the smart thing would be to move, but I am so rooted here...I have also been lets say really depressed for years, and have just snapped out of it, the last 12 days
I used to rent from his brother who was a sweetheart!!
So I have been told I should go to the city, and check out my rights...
I will add more when I have time, because didn't even mention how he cut our hose, to use and jimmy fix the pump, which has broken 3 times anyway, and WE have to pay the pool man, and when they do come and work on projects, alcohol, is always involved, PARTY time, now that I can't afford to give him drinks, everything is an issue, yes, have pix of that somewhere too.
thanks for listening and advice...
Thanks,
~jewelz...still shaking from last night..
You are not handling this correctly. Apart from the unnecessary drama, if you don't pay you rent you will be evicted. If you have a repair complaint you need to follow the procedures to request the repair formally and then if not done, follow the procedures to withhold or repair or deduct, set by the state.
As to your giving the landlord or his workers drinks when they come, that's ridiculous and I don't know why you would do that.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:50 AM

I agree, and I know this, but I have not been able to find, even the simplest job..Previously it was never an issue...I am having a hard time this year, hoping for it to end, I don;t like not paying, I used to always pay ahead of time, and this time I was actually going to surprise him with the cash when he came to fix it, but that didn't happen..
the last 8 months have been no problem,but there is soooo much that needs to be fixed, I do get upset that I am paying for so much broken stuff.
Bottom line, is I always want to pay on time, there are times when I need extra days. I have gone hungry, just to pay it, so thanks for helping shake with more fear...this is just new to me. I had a great life, until like you care....i just don't now, and wanted to die...Sounding better...problem solved...
thank you!!

Old 09-19-2013, 10:56 AM

Out of my fear I guess, I didn't know there were procedures for me to get things fixed. My fear is also, he looked at me and said for everything I fix, your rent will go up....I am struggling now, had I been working, I wouldn't have even needed to post this. I suppose when you are working and money is no issue, everything looks very black and white.
thank you for the insight to my drama, and ignorance in not really knowing what to do. I haven't really had or wanted to deal with this for sometime, like I said I have just started to wake up and feel better, and now I know, nothing! Forgot what I was saying, and hit save anyway...LOL

Last edited by jewelz122; 09-19-2013 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: spelling-and not a writer

Old 09-19-2013, 11:10 AM

3,581 posts, read 8,987,102 times
i was reading your post and it reminded me of when my wife gets upset which she does from time to time for no apparent reason except for when i mess up and actually do something to get her upset which am not saying i do but your post reminded me of the times I might have but didnt and then she has to apologize for getting mad and then I realize that I do a lot of typing without true punctuation and a clear line of thought as I bounce around from point to point as I try to explain my thoughts but am not really in control of my emotions kinda like my wife when she gets upet but it is not my fault cause I didnt really do anything even if she says I did when i really did not so anyway your post was kinda like that because it was hard to read all crammed together without any real paragraph breaks and thoughts jumping back and forth as you told the story and it did not have a sense of organization or chronology as things were related much like my wifes ranting but I already told you I didnt do anything to deserve that so she shouldnt get upset or anything like you seem to be over the landlords rent demand or was it the trees that got you upset? It wasnt real clear but seemed like you were either upset over the city wanting the trees trimmed and you have a bad ac that you never complained about because the landlord would fix the roof over the last 17 years.

Did I get that right?

Old 09-19-2013, 11:17 AM

12,108 posts, read 29,847,395 times
Pay rent in Full & on Time!
Only give workers/LL Water if they come around.
Put in Writting things needing fixed Mail Certified List to LL
Check with Local Laws on how long he has to fix then follow Legal trail to get it done.

As for the trees City most likey wants them Trimmed not cut down UNLESS they sickly! But thats between LL & City Not you!

Old 09-19-2013, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 4,347 times
Just move! if the place has all those issues wouldn't you want to provide a better living situation for your children. If he doesn't fix anything then I would leave.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:29 AM

24,671 posts, read 55,394,202 times
Go to the first "sticky" on this forum and find a link to CA landlord tenant laws and read up on them, particularly concerning rent payments and the proper procedure to follow for notifying your LL of repair and maintenance issues. Your LL may be a total jerk but you can reduce your issues with him considerably if you understand what's legally expected of both landlord and tenant. I understand very well how even simple situations can become overwhelmingly difficult in times of stress but knowledge is power and I wish you the best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or