Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 11:17 AM

912 posts, read 1,525,069 times

Advertisements

You know, I rented an apartment in college that specifically said in the lease that our washer and dryer couldn't be run after 10pm. I don't remember if it said anything about the dishwasher, but I remember the washer/dryer because 10pm for a college student is basically 5pm for the rest of the world.

You might consider checking your lease for anything like that -- there's a chance something is in there about hours.

My guess is either a dishwasher or a washing machine, based on the water stopping/starting cycles. Is the master bedroom in your unit close to either the kitchen/laundry area? If it's loud enough, it doesn't necessarily need to be directly above your head. Like others said, it's also possible that the unit above you has an entirely different floorplan.

If nothing is in your lease, consider nicely talking to the neighbors and just asking about the noise...it's entirely possible that they don't realize how much noise this is causing for you, and will adjust. It's also entirely possible that they work a different schedule or are rude (you never know), in which case, we all may need to think of new options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 11:57 AM

10 posts, read 35,794 times
Thank you for all the good suggestions!

We will try to meet the neighbor and talk to him(/her/them?). It's a shame that we have not met the neighbor since we moved in. We hear each other, but don't know each other. I hope they are nice and considerate people as you are here.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:20 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Don't be like my former neighbor who, the first time I met her, came over and told me it was 'my responsibility' to make sure her cat did not eat my cat's food. I just stared at her. I was flabbergasted.
This is a good example of why my wife doesnt let me talk to my neighbors... My response would have been "By any means possible?" as I sorted through some ammo boxes.

I KID! I KID!

Old 10-08-2013, 01:20 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Are they middle eastern? I've been on international flights where that behavior was going on in the bathroom. Very annoying, since there are only a couple of bathrooms and there would be some sort of middle eastern woman in each one, running water, waiting 5 minutes, running water, waiting 5 m minutes, running water..... they'd be in there 30-40 minutes while the line for the toilet got longer and longer.

Maybe some sort of prayer behavior?

There is absolutely nothing you can do about your neighbors running the plumbing. That is just ordinary every day living noise.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:46 PM

2 posts, read 11,786 times
That sounds to me like a faulty/damaged handle on the toilet - My own toilet did that at my last place. It's easy enough to jimmy up a fix for the problem, but that's only If you know what to look for. The sound can be very loud and super annoying - if it is the issue i'm not surprised you'd be able to hear it if you're directly under the bathroom. You could mention it in passing if you're on ok/good terms with the neighbor, and they may be grateful because if it's getting to you there's a high chance it's been really getting to them.
For a messed up handle all they'd have to do is when it starts lift the lid to the toliet's tank and pull up the plugging mechanism that attaches to the inside bit of the handle until all the water inside had drained - afterwards it's fixed until next time. Or - they could just replace the whole thing for $10-20 at a hardware store.
Hope this helps!

Old 10-09-2013, 12:16 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
If it's a running toilet, the water bill will be sky high. Might want to bring it up that way.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:57 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycherry View Post
We recently moved into a condo about a month ago and this happened 4 or 5 times.

We usually go to bed around 11pm and then, around 1am, the neighbor upstairs would turn on the water in the master bedroom, or maybe flushing the toilet. The building does not have good sound proof, especially for this issue. It's really loud to hear this in the midnight.

And what makes worse, and makes us so confused is that they would run the water for a while (2-3 minutes at most), and then stop for maybe 5-10 minutes, and then run the water again for a few minutes, and then stop, and then run the water,.... on and on. They would do this for about one hour and a half before they completely stop.

What could be they doing at that time in the master bedroom? It's so annoying because we would be waken up by this noise and stay up until they completely stop. We are a couple, both commute to work in early morning, and really can't afford sleep deprivation.

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot!
Good earplugs is all I can suggest. I doubt that they'll take kindly to you telling them that it bothers you, who would?..I wouldn't even want to know what they do at 1 in the morning in their bedroom that involves using water like that, but 4-5 times in a month ain't that bad...really.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:40 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,281,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswanlady View Post
You know, I rented an apartment in college that specifically said in the lease that our washer and dryer couldn't be run after 10pm. I don't remember if it said anything about the dishwasher, but I remember the washer/dryer because 10pm for a college student is basically 5pm for the rest of the world.

You might consider checking your lease for anything like that -- there's a chance something is in there about hours.

My guess is either a dishwasher or a washing machine, based on the water stopping/starting cycles. Is the master bedroom in your unit close to either the kitchen/laundry area? If it's loud enough, it doesn't necessarily need to be directly above your head. Like others said, it's also possible that the unit above you has an entirely different floorplan.

If nothing is in your lease, consider nicely talking to the neighbors and just asking about the noise...it's entirely possible that they don't realize how much noise this is causing for you, and will adjust. It's also entirely possible that they work a different schedule or are rude (you never know), in which case, we all may need to think of new options.
My old condo had a rule that you couldn't run your washer, drier or dishwasher after 11pm. Same idea I guess.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:45 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,832 times
Quote:
My old condo had a rule that you couldn't run your washer, drier or dishwasher after 11pm. Same idea I guess.
Every condo or apt I've ever lived in had rules like this (10 pm has always been the latest) for exactly this reason. You may want to check with your landlord and see what they are - it should be spelled out in your lease.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:33 AM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,568 times
So what was the outcome kittycherry? Do update us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting