Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 02:46 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,269,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Tax return idea was indeed intriguing. Alas, apartment said nope. However, I was able to make it to the social security office this morning and get that receipt thing that says she applied, and the apartment said they will take that. We are applying this afternoon. Cross your fingers for me, that we get it. I know some places will either say 1) no bankruptcy period 2) no un-discharged bankruptcy 3) no bankruptcy if it has not been two years. I asked the girl the other day about bankruptcies and she didn't seem too alarmed, she just said I might have to pay a slightly higher deposit.
Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 03:00 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,536,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
If you're considering renting to someone you perceive as being on the low end of the age scale, probably best to do so. Any savvy underage teenager can enter a relevant SS# not their own on the application - and would you check that number? Most wouldn't.
I thought when they run her name they would see her social come up?

Old 10-22-2013, 04:14 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,269,660 times
Quote:
I thought when they run her name they would see her social come up?
They should if she has a credit report, but it's not considered proof. Credit reports can be wrong, so they may want independent confirmation of her soc sec #.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:04 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,536,371 times
I was hoping to report by the end of the day that I had applied for the apartment and got it. No such luck. Went to an appointment to apply, show up and she says oh sorry, the people who were going to vacate are not now, for anotehr month. Therefore, I would not be able to apply until November 1, and not move in until possibly 2nd week of December. I have to be out of my current place by November 30. How's that for life kicking you in the ass?

Old 10-22-2013, 06:50 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,853,786 times
Quote:
I was hoping to report by the end of the day that I had applied for the apartment and got it. No such luck. Went to an appointment to apply, show up and she says oh sorry, the people who were going to vacate are not now, for anotehr month. Therefore, I would not be able to apply until November 1, and not move in until possibly 2nd week of December. I have to be out of my current place by November 30. How's that for life kicking you in the ass?
I am saying this with the kindest of intentions. I know it is discouraging, but don't allow yourself to think that way. Life is not down on you, Life is not kicking you in the ass, this is just the result of random events, which unfortunately did not work out for you this time. What you sow, so shall you reap. If you push past this with a positive attitude, things will work out and you will find what you need. You have a need, the universe abhors a vacuum and will try to fill your need, just keep pushing forward and working towards your goals. Keep letting people know what you need and you will be surprised at the number of people who will come forward to try and help you find it.

is there a local forum at City-Data for the city you live in, that may be able to put you in touch with places you might be able to rent? If not, post to the state forum. Can't hurt to make a post in them asking for assistance.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:15 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,283,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
If you're considering renting to someone you perceive as being on the low end of the age scale, probably best to do so. Any savvy underage teenager can enter a relevant SS# not their own on the application - and would you check that number? Most wouldn't.
I check IDs. I'd see her ID and the address on the ID. Then run credit check on her social security number, and see if things match up.

The credit bureau I use also asks for driver's license numbers, and runs those against birth date, addresses, etc.

No need to see the actual social security card. Seems like an SS card would be the easiest thing in the world to fake. Way easier than ID or landlord references or employment references, etc. SS cards are just plain paper with hardly any color on them - no threading of special bands and whatever, like our money has. I'd never look at a SS card and then assume I didn't have to verify anything else. That's why it seems so weird to ask for one. They'd be so easily faked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting