U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2013, 07:20 AM

38,854 posts, read 20,155,423 times

Advertisements

I need some advice here ... I've been trying to move out of my current apartment for years but never found an apartment complex that meets my criteria until now. Thanks to a referral from a good friend, I found an apartment at a reasonable price at a great location for public transit that isn't in a ghetto area (hard to find in Los Angeles County). I already toured the complex and would like to move in but just found out about an issue ... roaches are around the complex according to my friend.

I have very limited adult exposure to roaches but we did have an issue when I was younger growing up. I do know that roaches can get into your stuff, including electronics. I'm at a crossroads here as I really want to live in this complex for various reasons but now feeling hesitant in moving into this otherwise ideal complex. My friend, who is afraid of roaches, is very happy at this complex and manages to keep the situation from getting out of hand in her unit. Is it possible to keep roaches out of your unit (or under control) if there's issues around the complex or should I just forget about this complex ... Took me years just to find an apartment that would meet my needs the way this one does. I really need to move as after 13 years at my current place, I'm tired of the freeway that's next to the complex (which is aggravating my allergies) and the small unit size. What should I do as I'm no longer happy at my current place?

Also, I could easily move into another apartment complex that may have the same issues ... I only know about the roaches through my friend but elsewhere ... How would I even know as I doubt the manager/leasing agents would be upfront about this ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 08:23 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,350,450 times
Where I live roaches are a constant presence even with professional monthly extermination services. In my last place I kept them under control with simple boric acid roach tabs but in my present place I've only seen three adult roaches in over a year and what I have are tiny babies which sneak in through the cracks. The roach tabs are useless where they're concerned (although I do throw them into cracks, crevices and cupboards, etc. if the adults should be lurking there) so I regularly spray nooks and crannies with "Spectracide" which works well.

I've never had a problem with roaches damaging electronics. I'm very careful about keeping everything clean, not leaving out food and keeping such as grains and cereals in tight containers.

It's really subjective and I may not be the best person to give an opinion because I've been dealing with roaches for three decades now! I'd say that if your friend is "scared" of roaches but manages to control them and otherwise likes the place and continues to live there then it's not something which should deter you from taking the unit. There's a big difference between an "infestation" and the odd sighting so bear that in mind too.

Hope that helps a little and good luck!

Old 10-19-2013, 08:53 AM

8,224 posts, read 14,918,804 times
I have never lived in a place with roaches. I saw one in a grocery store once - and it freaked me out so bad I left my cart in the aisle and walked out - never to return. I'm not the one to advise you on this.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:20 AM

639 posts, read 1,552,754 times
Normally I would say run from any apartment infested with roaches. But if you have a friend who lives there happily despite hating roaches, I think the roach situation must be under control. Find out if the LL pays for extermination services or if you are expected to. If the LL is getting the entire complex sprayed that will help a lot more than you doing it on your own (or else the neighbor's unit will keep breeding roaches that come into your unit).

Old 10-19-2013, 09:37 AM

701 posts, read 1,324,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I have never lived in a place with roaches. I saw one in a grocery store once - and it freaked me out so bad I left my cart in the aisle and walked out - never to return. I'm not the one to advise you on this.
I've got a new employee who just moved to the city for the first time and freaked out about one roach in her apartment. Now, don't get me wrong, I hate roaches. But I lived in North Carolina for seven years in an apartment complex, and got used to seeing the occasional German roach and the seasonal palmetto bug roaches that come in during a temperature shift and then leave again. It took a lot of doing to get over the idea that seeing a roach meant I was "dirty!"

You should ask the apartment complex if they are on a regular pest control schedule. If not, then I'd be worried. If they are, then they're most likely keeping the situation under control and some of the proactive measures mentioned above should do the trick.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:23 AM

22,654 posts, read 28,660,433 times
OP, if you really can not find another place that you can afford and you dare to live in, you can control the roaches inside your own apartment.

There is this stuff called "Combat Gel" that is what the professionals use for roaches and you can buy it on-line and often it is for sale in Lowe's and Home Depot.

Do not put out any other poisons. Place Combat Gel behind the kitchen drawers, under the sink, and underneath the bottom drawer in the stove. Follow the directions on the package.

Keep your apartment scrupulously clean. Don't leave out so much as a crumb and make sure there is no water available for them anywhere in the unit.

The building will still have roaches, but they will be in the units that offer food and water for them. They will have no motivation to visit your unit. If they do, they will kill themselves by eating the Combat Gel.

I would normally advise to keep looking and find a place without roaches, but I know that with a low income it is very difficult to find a place to live that is safe.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:26 AM

22,654 posts, read 28,660,433 times
Also, OP, call the county and ask if they have a "Vector control" department. Some large cities have employees who go out and poison rats and roaches. It's worth asking. If there is a vector control they will come out and treat the entire building.

There is no guarantee, with all the government cutbacks, that there will still be a vector control, but it is worth a few minutes to call and find out.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:58 AM

396 posts, read 1,505,261 times
Some cultures cook roaches into dishes. I hear roaches taste like chicken.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:09 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,155,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
I've got a new employee who just moved to the city for the first time and freaked out about one roach in her apartment. Now, don't get me wrong, I hate roaches. But I lived in North Carolina for seven years in an apartment complex, and got used to seeing the occasional German roach and the seasonal palmetto bug roaches that come in during a temperature shift and then leave again. It took a lot of doing to get over the idea that seeing a roach meant I was "dirty!"

You should ask the apartment complex if they are on a regular pest control schedule. If not, then I'd be worried. If they are, then they're most likely keeping the situation under control and some of the proactive measures mentioned above should do the trick.
Thank you ... I will check with the leasing agent tomorrow when I visit my friend again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
OP, if you really can not find another place that you can afford and you dare to live in, you can control the roaches inside your own apartment.

There is this stuff called "Combat Gel" that is what the professionals use for roaches and you can buy it on-line and often it is for sale in Lowe's and Home Depot.

Do not put out any other poisons. Place Combat Gel behind the kitchen drawers, under the sink, and underneath the bottom drawer in the stove. Follow the directions on the package.

Keep your apartment scrupulously clean. Don't leave out so much as a crumb and make sure there is no water available for them anywhere in the unit.

The building will still have roaches, but they will be in the units that offer food and water for them. They will have no motivation to visit your unit. If they do, they will kill themselves by eating the Combat Gel.

I would normally advise to keep looking and find a place without roaches, but I know that with a low income it is very difficult to find a place to live that is safe.
Thank you for your suggestion ... I'll look for the Combat Gel By the way, I am not low income and this isn't a cheap unit but isn't outrageously priced like the others that I've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Where I live roaches are a constant presence even with professional monthly extermination services. In my last place I kept them under control with simple boric acid roach tabs but in my present place I've only seen three adult roaches in over a year and what I have are tiny babies which sneak in through the cracks. The roach tabs are useless where they're concerned (although I do throw them into cracks, crevices and cupboards, etc. if the adults should be lurking there) so I regularly spray nooks and crannies with "Spectracide" which works well.

I've never had a problem with roaches damaging electronics. I'm very careful about keeping everything clean, not leaving out food and keeping such as grains and cereals in tight containers.

It's really subjective and I may not be the best person to give an opinion because I've been dealing with roaches for three decades now! I'd say that if your friend is "scared" of roaches but manages to control them and otherwise likes the place and continues to live there then it's not something which should deter you from taking the unit. There's a big difference between an "infestation" and the odd sighting so bear that in mind too.

Hope that helps a little and good luck!
Thanks STT! Yeah ... I grew up in a house that had a roach issue but haven't dealt with roaches since I moved out over 20 years ago. I just worry about my electronics but guess I'm overthinking this ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or