U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 07:42 AM

15,706 posts, read 21,202,958 times

Advertisements

We just got in a rental application and a ReMax agent had showed one of our rentals.

Two applicants....1 works at Walmart and make $ 800 a month., the other one no job.

Both have prior arrests, prior evictions and just one income on paper not even enough for just the rent.

OMG...we won't even take the application money and/or run the application.

What are people thinking...at least hey seem to be honest and that is the only positive I can see in this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 09:46 AM

2,063 posts, read 3,159,201 times
Question I'm confused...

I am under the assumption, sort of dictated by the rules of the forum, that CD is a place to help and answer questions. You seem to use these forums to simply mock people. Am I missing something here or was there a legitimate purpose for your post?
Koale

Old 10-21-2013, 11:00 AM

8,320 posts, read 6,893,902 times
Yes, I occasionally get applicants with incomes of $500 who are trying to rent a place with $700 rent. They will claim that they always make it work somehow.

I really feel for them, but I can not afford to adopt them. Often it is people on SS or disability. They have it tough.

But that is one of the reasons why landlordsshould screen thoroughly. Because there are people out there who believe that they can pay $200 a month more in rent than their total income and too many applicants who aren't going to tell you upfront about bankruptcies, evictions, and felonies.

I don't know what it is about some people. They seem to believe that if someone will loan them the money, that is proof that they can afford it.

Lots of tenants firmly believe that landlords don't really do the screening. I guess they are right some of the time, because they seem to be able to find a place to live and they couldn't if every landlord really did run their screening properly..

Old 10-21-2013, 11:04 AM

8,320 posts, read 6,893,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
.........was there a legitimate purpose for your post?
Koale
The renting forum is also for landlords. It is not limited to tenant use. Landlords get to make recommendations to other landlords about how to be a landlord.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:20 PM

Thanks oregonwoodsmoke.

Koale I know it is hard to post on a forum and other poster not agreeing to what you stated when it came to the $ 10,000 pay out you thought you deserved...(i believe it was you who thought that was reasonable...if I'm wrong and that wasn't you than hereby my sincere excuse).

The reason for my post is that tenants and agents better start reading what is listed online since we clearly are saying that we run background checks, the costs of applying and that we don't accept any tenant with prior evictions and/or certain arrests.

The agent later submitted additional paperwork showing the monthly income from the biggest grocery store and they don't even have a job in Florida yet.

It is mind bottling that not even the professional thought about asking before dropping off the papers and money.

We gave the money back since the owner was clear....not tenants se wants to have either!

Koale; You should be happy that me and others post here and often help out since we are professionals and deal with a lot of rentals and by disclosing this I hope some tenant will realize that they better not stop paying their rent or use rent for repairs as the tenants in the OP claim to have done. Any eviction will result in future difficulties to rent and if people who have things like that on their record shouldn't blame others if they lose more money by applying at places that will not take them.

Btw if you don't like to read my posts than feel free to put me on your ignore list and I believe that way you won't even get to see my posts so you can go and ignore everyone who doesn't agree with you...in the end it will be easier to read and shorter since many may end up on that list

I have nobody on an ignore list since I rather read other peoples ideas and in my opinion it is good to agree and disagree at times but to have an open mind.. JMO!

Old 10-21-2013, 09:24 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,188,589 times
OP: Thanks for the interesting thread! You're right, many people think their credit & background won't really be checked, even when told directly that it will be.

I've had people proactively tell me with a straight face their "credit is really good", and then I pull their report and it's in the low 500's or even high 400's. Not only do lots of people blantly and proactively lie about their finances & credit, they're rarely embarrassed about the lie afterwards. More than a few times I've had someone laugh, shrug and say, "You can't blame me for trying!"

I once had a women proactively tell me her credit was good and "I always pay my bills on time" and then her credit came back at 430! That was the lowest score I've seen in my career. She'd never paid anything on time, had charge offs,multiple unpaid judgments, unpaid collections accounts and a current bankruptcy filing. But I NEVER would have guessed that from her sweet smile and "honest" demeanor.

Landlords and creditors: always, always, always check the bankground info you said you were going to check. If you think, "no one would lie about that if they know I'm going to check" you are WRONG!!

PS: I keep writing "proactively", because I didn't ask them. They just volunteered to tell me all about their "good credit" even though they knew I was going to check.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
OP: Thanks for the interesting thread! You're right, many people think their credit & background won't really be checked, even when told directly that it will be.

I've had people proactively tell me with a straight face their "credit is really good", and then I pull their report and it's in the low 500's or even high 400's. Not only do lots of people blantly and proactively lie about their finances & credit, they're rarely embarrassed about the lie afterwards. More than a few times I've had someone laugh, shrug and say, "You can't blame me for trying!"

I once had a women proactively tell me her credit was good and "I always pay my bills on time" and then her credit came back at 430! That was the lowest score I've seen in my career. She'd never paid anything on time, had charge offs,multiple unpaid judgments, unpaid collections accounts and a current bankruptcy filing. But I NEVER would have guessed that from her sweet smile and "honest" demeanor.

Landlords and creditors: always, always, always check the bankground info you said you were going to check. If you think, "no one would lie about that if they know I'm going to check" you are WRONG!!

PS: I keep writing "proactively", because I didn't ask them. They just volunteered to tell me all about their "good credit" even though they knew I was going to check.
So true ^^^ and on top of that tenants often will tell you that they have a settlement payment coming soon, that they will be interested to buy your home and give it back nicer than it is right now....

Section 8 tenants never call us for any home listed for under $ 1000 and/or without a pool. They all are able to pay above what section 8 will pay and we tell tenants that payments towards last month rent are not needed if your credit score is 720 or higher....

When arrests come up on their background check the answer is always that their lawyer told them they didn't have ti disclose it since it was expunged and when we ask for the lawyer to put it in writing than we never hear back.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:05 PM

14,557 posts, read 21,315,085 times
Quote:
I am under the assumption, sort of dictated by the rules of the forum, that CD is a place to help and answer questions. You seem to use these forums to simply mock people. Am I missing something here or was there a legitimate purpose for your post?
Koale
Looking at your recent previous comments to other people in CD forums it appears that you spend a considerable amount of time making offensive observations on other people. Am I missing something or is there a legitimate purpose for your offensive comments?

You repeatedly talk about other posters rather then the subject of the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale
Cash for Keys

So, thank you anyway, and as usual CD members have been as rude and impolite as usual. You can all stick your heads back into the holes you pulled them from to honor me with your replies. Moderator Please close this post as it was not meant to ignite angry and rude replies.
Koale
Quote:
What was constructive about making a dirogatory comment about someone infront of their boss other
than to be rude and insulting?

Old 10-22-2013, 05:09 PM

14,557 posts, read 21,315,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
We just got in a rental application and a ReMax agent had showed one of our rentals.

Two applicants....1 works at Walmart and make $ 800 a month., the other one no job.

Both have prior arrests, prior evictions and just one income on paper not even enough for just the rent.

OMG...we won't even take the application money and/or run the application.

What are people thinking...at least hey seem to be honest and that is the only positive I can see in this case.
I assume these must be very inexperienced renters, who have no idea what the usual qualifications are for renting a place, or they have rented from inexperienced or lazy landlords who never bothered to prequalify them before. Did the ReMax agent make any effort to educate them regarding the requirements, if not it appears he/she needs an education as well. Why waste your time, his/hers and theirs when they are so underqualified?

Last edited by CptnRn; 10-22-2013 at 06:05 PM..

Old 10-22-2013, 05:19 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,188,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Looking at your recent previous comments to other people in CD forums it appears that you spend a considerable amount of time making offensive observations on other people. Am I missing something or is there a legitimate purpose for your offensive comments?

You repeatedly talk about other posters rather then the subject of the thread.
Wow, good catch! Naughty naughty...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting