Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 05:29 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times

Advertisements

I have been avoiding the thought of renting a house because I would not want to have to buy a dishwasher, washer, dryer or refrigerator. So what if I found a place that has everything except a washer/dryer? I have heard you can rent them in apartments. I wonder if you can rent them if you live in a house? Or should I just bite the bullet and buy some?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 05:36 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
My rental house comes with a dishwasher, since it is built in, and a refrigerator, since I had a spare. It varies with the area you are in, very few houses provide a washer and dryer that I am aware of. Many landlords here say they provide no appliances, can't blame them for no wanting to get into that business.

There may be rental places in your area that will rent out appliances, but I have always found it cheaper to buy your own.

Let me google that for you

Old 10-22-2013, 08:44 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
One if my rentals is really old. Has no dishwasher its a complete split two separate residences. Both have stoves fridges and I provide washer dryer on that property. The washer dryer was a accidental. Former tenants had a washer dryer there when the tenants moved out, they said they didn't want the washer or dryer. Everybody seems to like the convenience so I just left them there. A few years later they broke but they were ancient old. Bought two new ones. Put them in life went on. I can't seem to get rid of them because they don't stay vacant for more than a week I usually force two weeks to clean patch paint. ( hey I work too) and I never have both places vacant. Anyway everybody likes them so I leave them.

All my others have dishwasher, microwave/range hood, and stove. Basically built in stuff You have your own fridge and washer dryer.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 10-22-2013 at 09:20 PM..

Old 10-22-2013, 08:50 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Where I live all "necessary" appliances are always provided - fridge, stove, heater. Beyond that, it's random regarding dishwashers, disposals, washers/dryers, air conditioning. So, you have to check regarding these.

If I was renting in an area where I knew I'd always take my appliances with me every time I moved, I might buy them. But, will they always fit where you move? Renting seems like a good alternative to me, in that case.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:03 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
It varies on location, but when I was in Minnesota, Refrigerator and Oven/stove, and usually but not always AC, were included. Washers and Dryers varied by location. When I moved to Raleigh, NC, I was surprised to find a fair number of houses that didn't come with appliances.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:37 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
Ever considered using a laundromat? I used one until I was in my 40's and could finally afford my own. And the one's I got were used and I used them for 20 years until this last summer when the washer finally gave out. I paid $100 for my washer back around 1993, and got the dryer for free from a neighbor who was throwing it out. Put in a new heating element and it was still working when I junked it.

Or if you need to impress your maid, you can buy some Viking appliances for about $25,000...

Old 10-23-2013, 10:27 AM

701 posts, read 1,690,634 times
Buy used. I got a used stackable unit when I was in grad school for $100 from a guy who repaired washers and dryers, and the thing lasted me well over seven years.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:19 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Appliances can be had inexpensively with a little luck.

One of my tenants went to the a Sears outlet store and bought a new washer, dryer and stove... I had a stove.

She walked out with all three under $700 and they were new with full warranty... discounted for scratches.

She like the stove so much, she asked if I could come and get mine...

The truth is the last few years all of my new tenants are former homeowners that lost their homes... everyone had very nice appliances... some high end stuff like $2,000 washer/dryer pairs...

Old 10-24-2013, 06:42 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Appliances can be had inexpensively with a little luck.

One of my tenants went to the a Sears outlet store and bought a new washer, dryer and stove... I had a stove.

She walked out with all three under $700 and they were new with full warranty... discounted for scratches.

She like the stove so much, she asked if I could come and get mine...

The truth is the last few years all of my new tenants are former homeowners that lost their homes... everyone had very nice appliances... some high end stuff like $2,000 washer/dryer pairs...

So true. You can even shop the Sears Outlet store online and see what they have nearby. Not all the items are actually in the sears outlet store. They may be sitting at floor sample at the regular store. They get listed there and in most case, the price is not listed at the store. I've picked up $1k+ SS diswasher from sears for less than $200 at the outlet store. When you search for items on sears oulet, it will give you location of the items.

Lowes is another popular place to pick up scratch dent item. They usually put them out on Friday night or Saturday morning. I hit my lowes store every Saturday morning and pick up extra for my rentals. Also ask for the manager to see if they can discount it even more (they are items priced to move) so prices are negotiatable.

For OP question. It may not make sense to rent. I had one tenant who asked me permission to rent washer/dryer from rent-a-center. I told her it was fine as long as I am there to see the install. When I was there, I found out that she was planning to pay $20/week for a basic washer/dryer rental. Her term was that she gets to keep the appliance after 120 payments. What a deal, NOT.

Last edited by sj08054; 10-24-2013 at 06:53 AM..

Old 10-24-2013, 09:46 AM

542 posts, read 1,548,401 times
Appliances included with rentals seems to vary by area. In SoCal, the stove and dishwasher (if the unit has one) come with it, but tenants supply their own fridge and w/d (if there are hook-ups). In AZ, it seems that most rentals come with a fridge.

I agree with others about buying used or the scratched/dented floor models on discount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting