Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 08:42 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,466,159 times

Advertisements

I think landlords who are looking for a tenant to move in tomorrow are asking for trouble. You really want a tenant that doesn't have to give notice? You're going to get tenants who are being kicked out of their current situation. Or a tenant who gives notice without already having a place to rent? And now their 30 days is up and they're on your doorstep?

Whenever I have someone ready to move in tomorrow, I do extra reference checking on that person. If they're someone just moving to town with an offer letter, okay. If they're a student from out of town or country, okay. If they're someone from San Jose moving to Santa Clara from their old place and can move in tomorrow? Something's wrong here. You let them move in, you're asking for trouble, IMO. You may not lose that first month's rent, since you found a tenant ready to move in right away, but you are taking a gamble that you will lose in the long run with that tenant.

For what it's worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 10:32 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,009,479 times
I agree, I would think a new landlord would be willing to give a tenant at least 1-2 weeks.

I went to a place today and checked it out, it needed a LOT of work and they told me it'd be ready next week. I raised my eyebrows at that because it needed new carpet, new vanity in the bathroom, paint, new countertops in the kitchen, apparently they were also replacing the windows, then new mounted microwave, new fridge, new stove, removing the old shower doors so it could have just a curtain instead, etc. These were all things they said they were going to do, but wanted me to fill out the application, pay, and turn it in right away. I told them I'd check it out next weekend when it was done if it wasn't rented. What if it was a crappy job? I just didn't feel right.

Tomorrow hubby and I have three places to look at. A few are available now, a few aren't available till December. I'm paid through this month and haven't put in a notice yet, but if we like one of the places we see tomorrow I will put in a notice tomorrow and ask the current landlord if they mind us turning in the keys earlier but only paying through the 30th. Whichever place we do choose I'm asking to move in the 22nd of November.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:57 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,466,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I agree, I would think a new landlord would be willing to give a tenant at least 1-2 weeks.

I went to a place today and checked it out, it needed a LOT of work and they told me it'd be ready next week. I raised my eyebrows at that because it needed new carpet, new vanity in the bathroom, paint, new countertops in the kitchen, apparently they were also replacing the windows, then new mounted microwave, new fridge, new stove, removing the old shower doors so it could have just a curtain instead, etc. These were all things they said they were going to do, but wanted me to fill out the application, pay, and turn it in right away. I told them I'd check it out next weekend when it was done if it wasn't rented. What if it was a crappy job? I just didn't feel right.

Tomorrow hubby and I have three places to look at. A few are available now, a few aren't available till December. I'm paid through this month and haven't put in a notice yet, but if we like one of the places we see tomorrow I will put in a notice tomorrow and ask the current landlord if they mind us turning in the keys earlier but only paying through the 30th. Whichever place we do choose I'm asking to move in the 22nd of November.
Sounds perfectly reasonable and smart. I would never move into a place again where they promised me this and that would be done before I moved in - have been burned before on that one.

The apt I am moving to on Monday in Redding was in the process of being painted, etc., when I went to see it. It was okay with me as-is, so I had no problem renting it to move into Monday. Turns out they put in new flooring, too. I was okay with it as-is, but got the added bonus of an even better apt.

Good luck to you!

Old 11-03-2013, 09:57 AM

Thanks going to two open houses today... we'll see. I'm slightly annoyed 1 place bumped their price up by $100. It's still affordable but since we want to save up to buy a house another $1200 a year would have been nice!

Old 11-03-2013, 04:06 PM

Gah what is wrong with people, the first open house, after we found it, we were hesitant, we parked our car in a spot (there were no markings) and this lady comes out screaming at me that I'm in HER spot. I said something to the effect of "oh I'm sorry, I'm just here to look at the open unit and then I'm leaving, I'll be out in 2 minutes" and she starts screaming she has company coming over (there were spots everywhere) so my husband and I took one look at each other, got back into the car, and drove off.

Then we go to the second place, it was much better, in a nice area, but the agent was taking multiple applications and money. I asked "are you going to be checking them in order and refunding/not cashing the ones that you don't check?" She said they will check them all then decide who is best. I was like thanks but no thanks. People were falling all over themselves to rent the place. I don't feel like putting forward $40 when they already had at least 3 applications by the time I got there.

We went by another place but nobody was at the office, that one we like the area and the outside at least.

*sigh* The search continues... at least we like where we are at, it's just a bit small.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:12 PM

FINALLY we found a place hubby and I both liked. We put in our application today and they said we have to rent it within 2 weeks of approval. I want to get the keys 11/29 so that's not a problem.

I put in my notice today at our current place. I tried speaking to them asking if we could possibly terminate a few days earlier rather than turn in our our keys on a Wednesday and they were all adamant about 30 days. *shrug* Okay, I think it'd be easier for you guys to have the place a little earlier because how many people will be looking from December 19? I offered to give it back to them December 5th and say they could advertise the place starting December 2nd because we'd have most of our stuff out and just need to clean and they said no. I also said we could do the 13th as well because most people like to move in on Fridays, same reasoning and they could still advertise and show starting on the 2nd, again no.

I did insist on a walkthrough because when we moved in the carpet had black spots on it and I put that in the initial "walk-through" paperwork (that I did on my own nobody ever showed), they better not charge me for that. I've kept all my papers that they have that say the carpet has spots and that the cabinets have broken pieces of wood on the bottoms of them.

Oh well I tried. The new place is giving us half off first month's rent so that's good. Because of that essentially we won't be paying a lot. They are charging us an additional $500 deposit (the new place) for pets, but said if we moved pending damages that part is refundable. We are clean about our pets so I'm not worried, and never have been charged for damage due to our two birds before.

I'm so excited for this place, it's enormous and just what we can stay in for a few years until we buy a home And only $245 more a month. For a second bedroom and double space I think we got a good deal.

Last edited by beera; 11-18-2013 at 08:21 PM..

Old 11-19-2013, 06:41 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,421,112 times
Keep in mind that landlords/apartment complexes arent in business to help you transition through life. Theyre in the business of letting you live on their land for a fee. They need to keep units full, not just to make a profit, but even just to pay their own bills. You would crap you pants if you saw just the property tax bill on a community.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:24 AM

Oh I know, but I was trying to help them, in all the years I've been a LL for my mom's properties I never was able to rent if a place was open in December. November would make me nervous, and it holds true for the place we found because they've been advertizing it for a month and only until they offered half off rent did we bite. Money isn't an issue at all.

That's fine, it'll just stay empty until I return the keys, because I will not hand over keys if it's ready to go early so they can try to collect double rent...

Old 11-22-2013, 02:23 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,470,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I think landlords who are looking for a tenant to move in tomorrow are asking for trouble. You really want a tenant that doesn't have to give notice? You're going to get tenants who are being kicked out of their current situation. Or a tenant who gives notice without already having a place to rent? And now their 30 days is up and they're on your doorstep?

Whenever I have someone ready to move in tomorrow, I do extra reference checking on that person. If they're someone just moving to town with an offer letter, okay. If they're a student from out of town or country, okay. If they're someone from San Jose moving to Santa Clara from their old place and can move in tomorrow? Something's wrong here. You let them move in, you're asking for trouble, IMO. You may not lose that first month's rent, since you found a tenant ready to move in right away, but you are taking a gamble that you will lose in the long run with that tenant.

For what it's worth.
I just moved into a new place a month ago. It got alot of good reviews on ApartmentRatings.com, and from what I could tell, they were non-shills. I was able to move in the next day after checking out my actual unit, and then signing the lease, but that's because I was living in an Extended Stay motel where guests are free to move in and out on a day-to-day basis. I don't know if the manager actually confirmed the stuff on my application (that I was a a guest there, my current job, past rental experience), but I'm assuming he's someone who savvy enough to not give the benefit of the doubt given the business he's in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting