Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 05:51 PM

16 posts, read 39,396 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Me and wife are planning a move from LA to Houston possibly next month.
I have been searching for a place to rent in Houston and was contacted by a rental agency there. I talked to one of their agents over the phone and she recommended that we find a place near Clear Lake and surrounding areas because she said it's an easy 20mins commute to downtown Houston. She said it a nice area to live and commute from here to work. I asked her about NW part of Houston like Katy, Sugar Land and she said the traffic is horrible in that area.
Now, granted i don't have a job lined up in Texas waiting for me with open arms, but we are going move anyway and we will most likely end up in Houston. This is why we want to find a place that we can rent on month to month basis. However, the listings that she emailed me requires us to sign a 6 or 12 months lease! Obviously, this is not what wife and I want, so is there a better way to find a month to month lease/rent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 12:42 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,675,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor1973 View Post
Hi all,
Me and wife are planning a move from LA to Houston possibly next month.
I have been searching for a place to rent in Houston and was contacted by a rental agency there. I talked to one of their agents over the phone and she recommended that we find a place near Clear Lake and surrounding areas because she said it's an easy 20mins commute to downtown Houston. She said it a nice area to live and commute from here to work. I asked her about NW part of Houston like Katy, Sugar Land and she said the traffic is horrible in that area.
Now, granted i don't have a job lined up in Texas waiting for me with open arms, but we are going move anyway and we will most likely end up in Houston. This is why we want to find a place that we can rent on month to month basis. However, the listings that she emailed me requires us to sign a 6 or 12 months lease! Obviously, this is not what wife and I want, so is there a better way to find a month to month lease/rent?
I imagine a rental agency would want you to sign a month to month lease. That's the name of the game for them. What I'd do is go online and look up the local Houston newspaper online and check out their apt wanted ads and just start calling apartment owners directly.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:19 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,103,335 times
Earlier this year, we were also looking for a month-to-month lease while relocating and found our rental on Craig's List. If you have a military installation closeby, you can check out rentals on Militarybyowner.com. When we were looking there were a few people offering short-term leases who were willing to consider a month-to-month versus a 6-month lease.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:51 PM

34 posts, read 91,160 times
Check forrent.com and apartmentguide.com. You can narrow the search with criteria like "short-term rental."

Old 12-28-2007, 11:07 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,081,989 times
Turning an apartment around after a tenant leaves can be a big expense. Most places want a lease with a term.
You'd be surprised how fast 6 or 9 months can go by. You might have to take the leap and sign.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:14 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,222 times
Do what I plan on doing when I move...I'm going to pick up a used RV for a few thousand dollars, and plant myself in a local RV park that accepts monthly campers. Not only will I probably come out ahead financially, but after I find a real place to live I can turn around and resell the RV, and get some of that money back.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:10 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,769,979 times
There is no way you can go from Clear Lake to downtown Houston in 20 minutes during the morning and afternoon drive....I live about the same distance and direction and I left for work at 4:30 AM and it took me 35 minutes with no traffic...and I mean NO traffic other than maybe a couple of other cars...

Old 01-05-2008, 08:47 AM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,449,878 times
We're going to Austin in the same situation. I asked if anyone knew of a place renting month to month on the Austin board, and someone recommended a great place to me. Hope this helps!

Old 01-06-2008, 10:04 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,334,970 times
Find a month to month place is going to be hard. Why not go to a hotel or inn?
Also there is no way you are going to get from Clear Lake to Downtown in 20 minutes. Don't believe that.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,549 times
My husband and I are basically in the very same position. It's not easy here in Houston to find month to month. We have been living in a hotel/suite for the past month. Granted the price is right ($599/mo) and the place is ok. The problem we've had is that recently the location we're in acquired some...shall we say individuals that are literally running their business (this was the nicest way I could think to put it) out of their room. We are now being woke up every night with people knocking on the wrong door, people having verbal confrontations just outside our window...you get the picture. But then again if you live in an apartment I guess you could stand to have the same situation. We are now trying to come up with another way of pulling this temporary situation off. If you're interested contact The Venetian Inn & Suites at 6 N. Sam Houston Parkway East. This basically will put you in the middle where you can pretty much access anywhere you want to be. PLEASE PLEASE know that it is NOT easy getting a job even in Houston Texas right now!!! God Bless You in your new endeavors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting