Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 07:02 AM

225 posts, read 425,920 times

Advertisements

I am just wondering if there is an exact number of years that a landlord in Pennsylvania has to keep records on a tenant and the house they own and are renting. This is a question that would also deal with a lawsuit over the landlord's house.

Also, would anyone know how long the PA HUD office is required to retain records? Specifically, a certain house/tenant?

If anyone has any answers on this, please let me know. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 10:51 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,730,943 times
In Florida a landlord doesn't have to keep any records passed the lease term regarding tenant/landlord but for tax purposes it is usually required to save records for 5-7 years which is only for financial records.

A private owner doesn't have to keep the lease agreement passed the move out time if everything is settled between parties but it will be smart to keep records longer.

For a realtor it is a different case but we don't have to keep every paper in the file. If the owner and management go their separate way than we only maintain certain papers.

In your State it maybe different but I doubt it. This is usually not in writing in tenant/landlord law which means it is more for tax and other financial reasons that it is better to keep records longer.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:11 AM

I probably should be a little more clear. This landlord owns a real estate agency, but owned a certain home for quite some time (over 20 years). They sold this home through their agency and now there's a lawsuit involved with that house. But, of course, all the records are gone. I just wondered, for my own sake, how long in PA a landlord, real estate agency, and HUD had to keep records.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:40 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom119 View Post
I probably should be a little more clear. This landlord owns a real estate agency, but owned a certain home for quite some time (over 20 years). They sold this home through their agency and now there's a lawsuit involved with that house. But, of course, all the records are gone. I just wondered, for my own sake, how long in PA a landlord, real estate agency, and HUD had to keep records.
Pretty much what bentlebee said. There is a statute of limitations on filing lawsuits so find out what your state says about that and retain records accordingly.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:40 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
Quote:
It may be prudent and a good business practice for a landlord to keep records at least until the statute of limitations has expired, but I'm not aware of any "law" requiring one to do so.

I recall an architectural firm where i worked was advised by their attorney that any records they kept would be more likely to be used against them rather then benefit them, if there were to ever be a lawsuit. So there is no "legal" incentive to keep them if they are not useful to you in some way.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:56 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,118,571 times
Quote:
What type of records are you referring to? Deed? Sale contract?

Old 11-14-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
What type of records are you referring to? Deed? Sale contract?
More like maintenance records and such. I'm sure for the situation I'm in, the landlord has "gotten rid" of everything.

Also, wondered about HUD records. Tenant complained of mold and landlord never did anything about it (except sold the house).

Thank you to everyone who responded. Appreciated.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Real Estate offices in Florida have to maintain all records for 5 years for sales records and contracts.

That doesn't incl. all rental documents. The lease and contract between owner and office will need to be kept on file but not all repair bills, rental applications.

If there is a lawsuit and contracts have not been kept for the minimum time frame which I believe is usually 5-7 years than the real estate office can be in trouble and the party who has the proof on their side may have an easy win.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
More like maintenance records and such. I'm sure for the situation I'm in, the landlord has "gotten rid" of everything.

Also, wondered about HUD records. Tenant complained of mold and landlord never did anything about it (except sold the house).

Thank you to everyone who responded. Appreciated.
Oops that is a different issue. If no mold disclosure was given while the owner was aware of it and the tenant will show up in court to testify and not just because the tenant didn't get along with the property manager and therefore will lie under oath....but based on facts and it can be proven than the owner will lose their case. If that owner is a realtor than a separate case can be filed due to an ethics issue for not disclosing a material fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting