Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 02:26 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,761,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Be aware that you will have a difficult time keeping an AC unit in the "hood". The AC units contain copper pipe and your meth head neighbors, or even your own tenant, will tear up or steal a $5,000 AC unit just to get $5 worth of copper.
I have not lost one yet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 03:19 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,475,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Be aware that you will have a difficult time keeping an AC unit in the "hood". The AC units contain copper pipe and your meth head neighbors, or even your own tenant, will tear up or steal a $5,000 AC unit just to get $5 worth of copper.
First of all if you put in window units your expense is nowhere near $5K ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
I have not lost one yet
... and window units are likewise easily protected from theft and vandalism. I lived in a 'hood for 16 years and with iron "cages" supporting and surrounding two big ground floor window A/C units there was never a problem with them.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:14 PM

584 posts, read 1,926,433 times
with sec 8 as non sec 8 you have good and bad. we have only had problems with 1 sec 8 tenet , and they have been our best they keep the places clean, and have been long term.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:07 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,724,729 times
Quote:
Now to answer the other question buying low income houses. On a cash flow they will be the highest return of most any house you buy. With that said they will not be the most work, as many people will tell you. After you get a system and learn you will be fine. What I have found is find a lower working class area stay away from the war zone until you have been doing it for sometime. I buy by the 2% rule if you do the same you will be fine. The 2% means that my total cost to buy the property and get it ready to rent I need to rent it for 2% of that price. So a house that I have 50K in needs to rent for 1K its that simple. People will say no way, I just bought a house last week for 40k and 1k to close 8-10k to clean it up and it will rent for an easy 1100.
We calculate it another way. We look for 20% return on investment, meaning that if the property cost 100K to buy and renovate, and the annual rent (minus maintenance, utilities, taxes, insurance) is 20K, it will pay the building off in five years. Our best investment properties meet this, but prices are rising, so now we're getting more like 15% return on investment. Still a good deal.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:09 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,565,189 times
Quote:
I have not lost one yet
We ordered similar ones for a couple of owners. They cost a couple of hundred dollars but are way cheaper than when the unit gets stolen. We always left the keys with the A/C company so they had them in case of service needed.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:12 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,432,187 times
I've had to get similar cages for backflow valves... lost two in the middle of the night for the copper and brass.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:13 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,565,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendleton42 View Post
with sec 8 as non sec 8 you have good and bad. we have only had problems with 1 sec 8 tenet , and they have been our best they keep the places clean, and have been long term.
We had a huge issue with a section 8 landlord who had 17 units and we took HER to court! We did find out she had been caught for trying to bribe sectio 8 inspectors by giving them gift cards, etc. and there was a big article in the news papers about her but we never checked on her until we managed her properties and we started to see that she was a big scammer.

We won in court and she tried to get her lawyers cost to be paid by us even though she lost and it was small claims court... that was very funny. She hired the most expensive lawyer in town and I went with 2 witnesses without any lawyer and won.

Since it is all about proof, that was all had to bring.

But that entire ordeal made me realize that section 8 is not worth it to manage any homes since the tenants were just as much of a mess and scamming the system as the landlord was. Only one section 8 tenant was one who really needed it and was a nice person who tried her best...out of all 17 units.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:10 AM

584 posts, read 1,926,433 times
that is all takes is one bad apple to hurt the rest.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:30 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,432,187 times
I liked Section 8 the way it was 30 years ago and even 15 years ago...

Originally, the idea was for Housing to contract with local owners to house eligible families in neighborhoods instead of projects.

Housing did everything... screen tenants, make repairs, collect rents and cover damages.

Every change since then has shifted more of the burden to the property owner.

The biggest change that affected me is when Housing got out of the Security Deposit Business... in other words the Landlord was left to attempt collecting damages from people with little to no income.

Most recently, Housing uses almost all contract inspectors... they do not work for Housing and there is little continuity...

The old system had a "Case Worker" that would track everything from family income, size, eligibility, rent payments and how the family took care of the rental...

Big mistake now this link has been broken...

Old 11-24-2013, 07:18 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,423,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I liked Section 8 the way it was 30 years ago and even 15 years ago...

Originally, the idea was for Housing to contract with local owners to house eligible families in neighborhoods instead of projects.

Housing did everything... screen tenants, make repairs, collect rents and cover damages.

Every change since then has shifted more of the burden to the property owner.

The biggest change that affected me is when Housing got out of the Security Deposit Business... in other words the Landlord was left to attempt collecting damages from people with little to no income.

Most recently, Housing uses almost all contract inspectors... they do not work for Housing and there is little continuity...

The old system had a "Case Worker" that would track everything from family income, size, eligibility, rent payments and how the family took care of the rental...

Big mistake now this link has been broken...
The problem is that the program has grown and grown but funding has stayed stagnant, and in the latest year, been drastically cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting