Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 03:18 PM

5 posts, read 19,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
In CA, the LL has to give you notice in writing of your right to a move-out inspection. The law is very specific. This law is designed to give tenants the opportunity to get all of their deposit back. If the LL didn't do this, you automatically get your full deposit back.

I think the easiest and cheapest thing to do is to sue the landlord in small claims court, in my opinion. The LL can then tell the collection agency the debt has been satisfied. Let the landlord deal with the collection agency.

This all assumes that you have not been sued and lost by your LL. If you were sued and didn't show up, you lose, and you will have to make a deal with the collection agency.

If your landlord just sent a bill to collections without first getting a judgment, then I think you should sue.

I think you should start with a letter to the LL, though, as you first need to demand your money back, before going to court. Something along these lines:

Dear Landlord,

I have received notification that you sent a bill to a collection agency regarding money I supposedly owe you. In short, because you did not follow California tenant law regarding my right to a move-out inspection, even after I specifically asked for a walk-through, you forfeited your right to any damages. Please refund my security deposit in full in the amount of $_______________ by _________________(x date), and notify the collection agency that this debt was placed in collection in error by same date, and forward a copy of the letter to me with my security deposit refund.

As you know, this property was infested with rats, which I notified you of, and as I was very pregnant at the time, this posed significant health risks.

If I do not receive the deposit refund and letter to the collection agency by the above date, I intend to sue you to the full extent of the law for money withheld in bad faith, as well as for rent paid while the unit was uninhabitable, and any punitive damages the court deems appropriate.

Sincerely,

You
Your Address

The letter alone may do it. If not, file in small claims court and take your chances. Here's CA law:

California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Scroll down to the blue section to read about the laws regarding the pre-move-out inspection laws. You can also get help through this website, if you want some legal advice.

Another option for lawyers/legal advice:

Lawyer Referral Services (LRS)

I contacted the legal aid society & they said the only thing I can do is write another letter to the apartment complex & CC: the collector's agent. & then wait to see what happens. Basically, they'll either go away or have to sue me...there is nothing much I can do. Either pay them...or wait.
So, I'm sending my letter to the effect as suggested above!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 09:33 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Good for you. I don't see why you should wait around to see what happens. Good luck to you. What a pain!

Old 12-06-2013, 05:23 PM

. Every Time I would start to compose the letter, I would get frustrated because I wanted to translate everything into the letter. SO, I just basically, copied your suggested letter! It was straight & to the point! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
I'll let you know how it goes!

Old 12-06-2013, 05:24 PM

oh, god! I said letter a lot in that reply. It's Friday, i'm at work, tired, & out of coffee, please excuse me.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:42 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
He happy with anave not read all the posts but in Calif a Collection agency is just a private business and a 3rd party along with the LL and the Tenent.

A call to the Health Dept (considering the Pregnancy during the time period) would have them at the LL front door.

If a small claims action is pursued the Judge won't be very happy with the Health issue (baby and all being due) and along with proof the Dept was notified things would look very good for the tenant.

Of course this is all under the bridge this late date......still holding the baby while in Court might help.

As for the Collection agency is concerned NO PHONE CONVERSATIONS OR CORRESPONDENCE OF ANY NATURE. ( they don't exist). Acknowledging them would be considered a point in their favor of your responsibility and any fees demanded.

(I'm NO Lawyer but have some previous knowledge of a Collection agency procedures)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting