Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 06:33 PM

71 posts, read 254,728 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I have a question. My apartment was burglarized, many things stolen, and damage was done two two windows (which need to be replaced) and most of the window screens. I began the claims process last week to cover the cost of my stolen belongings.

Today the landlord asked for a copy of my insurance policy to see whether it will cover the damage to the windows.

Don't they have their own insurance to cover structural damage to the building? I see no reason to give them information on my policy. It feels very shady.

Please advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 07:07 PM

6,778 posts, read 11,411,740 times
Call your agent and have them advise you. If your policy doesn't cover damage to the building, there's no reason to give policy info to landlord.

Sorry for your loss - happy you have insurance.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:25 PM

71 posts, read 254,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Call your agent and have them advise you. If your policy doesn't cover damage to the building, there's no reason to give policy info to landlord.

Sorry for your loss - happy you have insurance.

I looked at my policy. It says it only causes damage to a building if I caused it (like set the place on fire or something).

Yes, very glad I have insurance!

Old 11-24-2013, 01:13 PM

32,502 posts, read 47,478,646 times
You are responsible for replacing the windows and the screens, so you really should have added the broken window and damaged screen to your original claim and hoped it would be covered. Since you didn't make the claim, maybe the insurance company would allow you to add it now.

If your insurance does not cover it, you will pay out of your own pocket.

You received the place with all windows and all screens intact. You must return it that way at the end of your lease. The landlord didn't break the window, which is the only way that you would not be responsible for replacing them.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:22 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,498,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrokegal View Post
...damage was done two two windows
Today the landlord asked for a copy of my insurance policy
to see whether it will cover the damage to the windows.
Please advice.
Why the windows were broken (unless that was done by the landlord) doesn't matter.

Quote:
Don't they have their own insurance to cover structural damage to the building?
Of course... but a burglar breaking into YOUR apt isn't structural damage. Is it?

Quote:
I looked at my policy. It says it only causes damage to a building if I caused it
(like set the place on fire or something).
That is unfortunate. I'd ask someone else to read the clauses to confirm..
Broken windows are rather common... but their repair cost is usually well below a deductible.
That makes it a tough call to include.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:42 PM

9,863 posts, read 13,997,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

You received the place with all windows and all screens intact. You must return it that way at the end of your lease. The landlord didn't break the window, which is the only way that you would not be responsible for replacing them.
Not sure I agree with this. What if a tornado broke the windows? What if a neighbor shot out the windows? None of these situations seem to be the responsibility of a tenant. A tenant has rental insurance to cover their belongings and damage caused by them. A landlord has property insurance to cover damage to the property NOT caused by the tenant.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:02 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,237,834 times
Renters insurance covers YOUR stuff
Rental property insurance covers HIS stuff.
Tell him he should have HIS insurance cover the damage. The burglar would of damaged the property regardless if you were there or the place was vacant. His problem not yours

Old 11-24-2013, 11:27 PM

13,066 posts, read 20,732,369 times
Standard Renter's Insurance covers your possessions and your liability. A burglary is a crime against property resulting in a loss to you. The property is owed by the landlord and thus is their responsibility unless you were involved in the burglary. Your landlord is aware that the standard renter's policies will not cover their loss, but they are hoping that maybe there is something in yours.

DO NOT give them your policy, just the declaration page. Better yet, contact your agent or carrier and ask them to furnish the requested info to the landlord. They will send only what they think they need, if anything. Let the insurance company handle this.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:31 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,984,986 times
I would not give the landlord a copy of anything.
Ask the landlord to put his request in writing and you will pass it along to
your insurance agent and/or attorney or both to see if what he is asking for
can and should be given to him legally.

Our landlord has insurance to cover damage to their property no matter what the reason and we have renters insurance to cover our property if it is damaged or stolen and one insurance policy has nothing to do with the other.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:53 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,362,277 times
Your insurance covers your personal property and liability. He needs to look to his for the building structure (is probably below the deductible..... not your problem). Its very simple and clear cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting