Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 11:49 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,774,451 times

Advertisements

[quote=march2314;38742334]I went to court on 3/5/15 with my landloard for unpaid rent, which I had already paid. On the summons $208.85 was for court costs and attorney fees. When we got in front of the judge, it became rent. Therefore, they took out a rental judgment. I live in a senior community and I do not think that was fair. I want to purchase a house and start a business in the near future, how will this affect me and what can I do about it?[/
If you where charged the attorney fees and court cost then you loss the case; plain and simple. You paid court cost and attorney fees in addition to a judgment of rent owed. The summons told you the other party was also suing for attorneys fee and court cost to file; besides the rent. It goes down as judgment against you on rent; the judgment included you pay for all case cost. Depends on state but in many they can file the judgment every so many years to keep it active judgment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 822 times
Default Real knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCloser23 View Post
I am surprised because the person I rented the apartment for told me that she was in the process of taking care of it. So, I didn't bother to go to court when it came... but come to find out no action was taking on the balance.
Any eviction last seven years on your credit report. After that time it will fall off and you will be able to rent again. Also If you use creditkarma.com you can dispute the charge informing the credit bureau that you opened the account for someone else and they stopped paying...after reviewing this information the establishment will decide if they will remove the charge or not. Sounds like Kim in FL is being a bit too harsh rubbing it in. Everyone makes mistakes and this one will be over soon. Hopefully you have moved already and gotten this situation taken care of. Hope it worked out for you!

Best of wishes

Old 01-09-2017, 03:19 PM

10,746 posts, read 25,985,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeWeiss View Post
Any eviction last seven years on your credit report. After that time it will fall off and you will be able to rent again. Also If you use creditkarma.com you can dispute the charge informing the credit bureau that you opened the account for someone else and they stopped paying...after reviewing this information the establishment will decide if they will remove the charge or not. Sounds like Kim in FL is being a bit too harsh rubbing it in. Everyone makes mistakes and this one will be over soon. Hopefully you have moved already and gotten this situation taken care of. Hope it worked out for you!

Best of wishes
I'm sure after almost two years they've figured something out. And no, I wasn't being harsh..I was being realistic. Evictions and judgements are always a red flag to landlords and other extending credit to you.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:04 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,091,489 times
My answer: you don't. As a landlord I would absolutely reject any application that states "yes" to the question "have you ever been evicted?" I would ask my Realtor to inform them their application was declined.

If you answered "no" and you paid me an application fee (to cover your credit report costs) and I discovered you have an eviction on your credit report you just wasted your credit report fee and I would tell my Realtor to inform you that you were rejected because you (1) lied on your application, and (2) have an eviction on your credit report and I do not rent to evicted tenants.

Deal with it. If you were evicted and it shows on your credit report then you poisoned the well and good luck finding any landlord who will rent to you. We landlords have enough problems with tenants that we don't want to put up with anybody who has an eviction history.

My advice: (1) YMCA, (2) rent a room, (3) buy a house or condo, (4) buy an RV and move every 72 hours or whatever the maximum parking time is in your area.

You are paying the cost of not following the rules and laws. I won't even wish you good luck.

If you believe your credit report is a mistake then contest it. If you win and have the eviction removed then I would perhaps rent to you based on your other criteria and qualifications.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:25 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,985,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
My answer: you don't. As a landlord I would absolutely reject any application that states "yes" to the question "have you ever been evicted?" I would ask my Realtor to inform them their application was declined.

If you answered "no" and you paid me an application fee (to cover your credit report costs) and I discovered you have an eviction on your credit report you just wasted your credit report fee and I would tell my Realtor to inform you that you were rejected because you (1) lied on your application, and (2) have an eviction on your credit report and I do not rent to evicted tenants.

Deal with it. If you were evicted and it shows on your credit report then you poisoned the well and good luck finding any landlord who will rent to you. We landlords have enough problems with tenants that we don't want to put up with anybody who has an eviction history.

My advice: (1) YMCA, (2) rent a room, (3) buy a house or condo, (4) buy an RV and move every 72 hours or whatever the maximum parking time is in your area.

You are paying the cost of not following the rules and laws. I won't even wish you good luck.

If you believe your credit report is a mistake then contest it. If you win and have the eviction removed then I would perhaps rent to you based on your other criteria and qualifications.
evictions generally don't show on the credit report, the judgment attached to it, if there was one, will. You need to have your Realtor also check the court house records..here in Florida we can do that online for free.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:07 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,091,489 times
Actually I did run one credit report (last year?) and there was an eviction, and I did tell my Realtor to inform the applicant that their application was declined because (1) they lied on the form in stating they had no evictions, and (2) I don't rent to tenants with any eviction history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting