Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 07:29 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,660,003 times

Advertisements

I moved into an apartment with 1 dog and 3 cats. After 1 year, I went month-to-month. in the spring, my dog died after being ill for a few years with heart disease. He was on many medications and had repeated visits to my veterinary cardiologist. I'm now ready to adopt another dog and as a courtesy, asked my landlord if it would be ok to adopt another dog. They are saying no, not giving me any reason except saying that they didn't want a tenant with a dog in the first place and told me so, which is entirely untrue. They were very accepting of him. I guess I have no recourse other than to move. My apartment is part of their house. Has anyone had this experience before? You could have a dog moving in, but not able to replace him? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 07:32 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Some LL ok the older pets that you had Before you moved in But really dont want pets . So when older pets die they dont allow replacements. You still have 3 cats!

Old 11-25-2013, 07:39 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,660,003 times
Really? I've never had this happen before so it's interesting to me that LLs do this. I love my cats, but life is not complete without a dog, IMO! I'm taking this personally, but maybe I shouldn't. And unfortunately, I did find a dog at a local shelter that I really wanted and can't stop thinking about. I should have asked them before looking.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:45 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doghead View Post
I moved into an apartment with 1 (known quantity, existing) dog and 3 cats.
After 1 year, I went month-to-month. in the spring, my dog died

I'm now ready to adopt another dog and as a courtesy, asked my landlord...
You could have a dog moving in, but not able to replace him?
1) you're on a M2M and they expect you to leave before too long.
2) the new dog is an unknown quantity.

For me.. the last is more critical.
I don't want puppies and I don't want rescues with unknown histories
making to hard to judge their sociability, training and so forth.

Quote:
...but life is not complete without a dog, IMO!
I agree.
Attached Thumbnails
Pet Friendly Move-in, then landlord changes mind-backseat.jpg  

Old 11-25-2013, 07:47 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Its Not personal. Its business...they bent their rules for pets you already had...life long furkids. How would you have felt if they told you No Pets get rid of the pets then we will rent to you. No they Allowed you to have them they just Dont want you to replace them. Dont plan to replace the cats either.

When the place I owned community changed the rules to No Horses I was allowed to keep mine as Grandfather in BUT I Was NOT allowed to get another horse when one died!

Old 11-25-2013, 07:53 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
In your next place, you may have better luck if you look to rent w/ an older dog (not nec. senior but not an energetic unhousetrained mischevious puppy) for obvious reasons - but it does sound like this LL has made up his mind, the dog days are over (pardon the pun). I tend to agree w/ Katie too, when the cats are gone, they're gone. Best of luck

Old 11-25-2013, 07:59 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doghead View Post
I moved into an apartment with 1 dog and 3 cats. After 1 year, I went month-to-month. in the spring, my dog died after being ill for a few years with heart disease. He was on many medications and had repeated visits to my veterinary cardiologist. I'm now ready to adopt another dog and as a courtesy, asked my landlord if it would be ok to adopt another dog. They are saying no, not giving me any reason except saying that they didn't want a tenant with a dog in the first place and told me so, which is entirely untrue. They were very accepting of him. I guess I have no recourse other than to move. My apartment is part of their house. Has anyone had this experience before? You could have a dog moving in, but not able to replace him? Thanks.
Once a tenancy goes month to month, it is generally accepted that it is under the same terms and conditions as the original lease agreement unless otherwise altered in writing. In a court of law, only written documentation counts. If there is nothing written in your lease agreement forbidding dogs, in fact, if there is language in the lease permitting dogs, then your landlord cannot make it up as he goes along.

That being said, ticking off a landlord is never a good idea. They have the power to make your life miserable, and you have to determine if having a new dog is worth the risk. My thoughts are probably not.

I agree with the other posters who recommend finding another apartment.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-25-2013, 08:31 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
I have a tenant with a small dog. When I say small I mean she's 9 pounds. If that dog dies and she wants another I would say no. Why? Because. I. Agreed for her to have that particular dog. For all I know her next dig may be a huge. Terror who will destroy the place. I have no problems with her she's a great tenant. But if she just brings in a dog and expects to keep it because she had a dog before. Sorry no dice

Old 11-25-2013, 08:42 PM

41,945 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Does your original lease allow you to have a dog? Not just the dog you had when you moved in, but any dog.

Your original lease carries over after you go month to month.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:58 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
You know the LL's feelings. Regardless of what was in the original lease, as a M-t-M the LL can cancel your occupancy whenever they want. Do you want a new dog or a new apartment? Those 3 cats could prove problematic when you're looking for a new place..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting