Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 09:17 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,878,525 times

Advertisements

Doghead,
Big apartment complexes don't rent to tenants with pets, and grandfather in
any dogs that were in the apartments before the change of a no dog pet policy.
When the tenants dog dies, there is a no pet policy, so they can't get another dog.
That is very common.
Just go apartment or house hunting as soon as possible, and make sure you rent in
a pet friendly complex.
There are many of them, so I am sure you will find one somewhere.
I wouldn't want to stay where you are now, especially since you really must have
a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 09:49 PM

701 posts, read 1,682,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doghead View Post
Larceta and Campion, thank you for your thoughtful responses. BTW, this isn't a subdivision--just a private home. Sometimes I think I should just have brought the dog home, since it was in my original lease. But I felt since it is their house, I would ask the question. I wish I could buy a house/condo, but I can't. Although most people on this board are rational, I am still feeling like this is mean spirited. My animals are overly vetted, strictly indoors, have had every type of surgery that is needed. I spent a fortune on my previous dog with the bad heart. They get "high quality" canned food (as high a quality canned food can be), way better than the dry crap my landlord uses (I see it in their recycling). So it's not that they don't think I care for my animals. I'm employed full-time. I'm abiding by their rules, but I still find it very upsetting and plain old mean. But from what everyone says, LLs can and will do this.
And see, this is where being thoughtful and adult ends up hurting you. You, being a rational and polite adult, talk to the LL even though technically, it sounds like, your lease would allow a new dog. Such a shame. BTW, my first dog died of CHF too; I know what you mean about the money and time and emotions involved in dealing with it. And I'm another who won't live without a dog beyond a comfortable grieving period. A dog is a necessity is my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
So your landlords are small minded irrational people because they won't agree to let you get another dog?
They're irrational if they allowed a dog, made a lease that says "one dog allowed" (without naming a specific dog) and then stating that a new dog isn't allowed now that the old one has passed away.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:26 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,200,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
And see, this is where being thoughtful and adult ends up hurting you. You, being a rational and polite adult, talk to the LL even though technically, it sounds like, your lease would allow a new dog. Such a shame. BTW, my first dog died of CHF too; I know what you mean about the money and time and emotions involved in dealing with it. And I'm another who won't live without a dog beyond a comfortable grieving period. A dog is a necessity is my life.
I don't see a reason to ask if the lease allowed dogs.

So I would guess the lease doesn't allow dogs or there wouldn't be an issue. Might have been an exception and a verbal agreement to allow this one particular dog at that particular time.

Quote:
They're irrational if they allowed a dog, made a lease that says "one dog allowed" (without naming a specific dog) and then stating that a new dog isn't allowed now that the old one has passed away.
OP needs to read the written lease. Verbal agreements turn in to a he-said/she-said load of garbage and only time & money will figure it out. Question is, is it worth it for a dog?

If the answer is yes then the OP's best option is to move to a pet friendly rental if OP is looking to take another dog into his/her life.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:32 PM

701 posts, read 1,682,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
I don't see a reason to ask if the lease allowed dogs.

So I would guess the lease doesn't allow dogs or there wouldn't be an issue. Might have been an exception and a verbal agreement to allow this one particular dog at that particular time.

OP needs to read the written lease. Verbal agreements turn in to a he-said/she-said load of garbage and only time & money will figure it out. Question is, is it worth it for a dog?

If the answer is yes then the OP's best option is to move to a pet friendly rental if OP is looking to take another dog into his/her life.
The OP said (I think on page 3) that it was in the original written lease, so that's what I was basing my statements on. In this case though, on a month to month as the lease is now, I wouldn't go to the effort of antagonizing the LL by insisting he abide by the terms of the lease, I'd just move along. And I think that's what the OP is planning on doing, it's just sad and frustrating for renters with pets to have to deal with this kind of situation.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:52 AM

13,909 posts, read 39,086,316 times
I think there is more to this than being said. Moving cause she not allowed to replace a dog.... Its not like they told her its No Pets Now get rid of the Cats! Maybe the last dog Bit someone. She said it wasnt friendly.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:59 AM

14,663 posts, read 7,967,212 times
I would look for another apartment if I were you, BUT I have noticed in my city, even when places are pet friendly, they usually limit you to only 2 or 3 pets to begin with.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:10 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,864,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Doghead,
Big apartment complexes don't rent to tenants with pets, and grandfather in
any dogs that were in the apartments before the change of a no dog pet policy.
When the tenants dog dies, there is a no pet policy, so they can't get another dog.
That is very common.
Just go apartment or house hunting as soon as possible, and make sure you rent in
a pet friendly complex.
There are many of them, so I am sure you will find one somewhere.
I wouldn't want to stay where you are now, especially since you really must have
a dog.

Yes, they do. You can't change the rules mid lease, but once you're up for renewal they can make changes and you can agree or you can move. If you're on a month to month lease, normally they need just 30 days notice to change the rules and you can agree or you can move.

No one, other than those who use a service dog, "really must" have a dog. And if it was a service dog (a true service dog, not companion) , we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:49 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,641,254 times
Everyone: I apologize. I dug up my original written lease and there is nothing about pets in it--only no smoking. So the pet thing was entirely verbal, but it was not even remotely an issue. The only question I was asked in the beginning was the size of the dog. Still, this is literally part of their house so even it did say pets allowed and changed their mind, it would be difficult to argue as I am on a M2M. I haven't read some new responses to my post yet, but I was not asking anyone whether I should move. I was only "stunned" that LL said I could not have another dog and was asking for peoples' thoughts on this turnaround. Although I like it here, moving would bring me closer to my job as well but I did not want to move after only 2 years. I want to read the new posts later-going to work. Thanks for all your thoughts on this.

Last edited by doghead; 11-27-2013 at 05:53 AM.. Reason: forgot to say thanks

Old 11-27-2013, 08:02 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,209,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post

I'm pretty sure tha when a lease is written the pet allowed is meant for the EXISTING pet. Here is a hypothetical situation. Now let me ask you if you were a LL and you allowed a pet and the tenant had a tiny dog. You are ok with a small dog. Say the dog passed and the tenant came home with a new dog. And that new dog was a 100 pound fighting pit bull or a German Shepard or some other big breed.
I guess you can say LL need to protect themselves by specifically naming the dog on the lease.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:07 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,641,254 times
Sorry--did you see my earlier post? there was nothing at all about pets in the original lease that I signed 2 years ago. I checked this morning and I apologized to all the posters who had the wrong information given by me. It doesn't mean that I am not devastated. My animals are everything to me--no kids, no partner. Even if I were involved with kids and a partner, they would just as important and I would do anything for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting