Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 10:36 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times

Advertisements

i have only missed once when i was 17 and in my first place. the accountant at my job screwed up my hours and i got a whopping may of 2.69 as a weeks worth of work. i called ahead as soon as i found out and informed her i would be late because of an error processing my pay.

even though it was out of my control i felt horrible and guilty for not paying the lady on time. it wasnt until the end of the next month that i could pay her along with that months =/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 07:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,739 times
What did those splash guards cost you? $5.00?

Old 05-29-2013, 08:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,739 times
Default Business, not housing

Landlords are in it as a business, not in it to provide housing. That's the government's job. Why would they stick their necks out, buy a home, and let someone live in it for free? Duh? That's how it works. They buy it and take the risk. Taxes, morgage, repairs, water, garbage, sewer,etc. Most landlords only make between 10% if they are still buying them, or up to 40% if they own them. So renters, please be responsible and pay on time. Owners have bills too.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:51 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
Thread resurrection in progress.

No pay, no stay. Sorry, pal. Your problems aren't mine. I have enough problems of my own that I don't need to assume yours.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:37 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortineer View Post
Landlords are in it as a business, not in it to provide housing. That's the government's job. Why would they stick their necks out, buy a home, and let someone live in it for free? Duh? That's how it works. They buy it and take the risk. Taxes, morgage, repairs, water, garbage, sewer,etc. Most landlords only make between 10% if they are still buying them, or up to 40% if they own them. So renters, please be responsible and pay on time. Owners have bills too.
It's not the govt's job to provide housing to anyone...too many ppl think it's up to the govt to feed and house them....it's not. It's up to YOU to provide for YOU.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:37 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
It's not the govt's job to provide housing to anyone...too many ppl think it's up to the govt to feed and house them....it's not. It's up to YOU to provide for YOU.
No kidding.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:49 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,908 times
I think if I was a landlord, I would probably contract out the billing. Otherwise, I'd be a push over. I'd also have things well stated in the lease. You pay by this date, or you pay a late fee, or you move out. I suppose that could end up costing more, depending on the tenet rights laws of the state. It may be better to negotiate to just keep a tenent, but I'd have to have some kind of clearly defined rules.

The truth is, if you give people wiggle room, they will take all you give them and expect more in many instances. If someone has reached a financial obstacle, they should downsize their apartment or rent a room with someone else. You can't be a landlord and a charity organization at the same time. I may let someone out of a lease so they could move without penalty if they found that they could no longer afford the rent, though.

Although, I must say if some landlords are making 40%, that is a darn good return. And in my experience, many, many landlords are slumlords. It's like they only can make a profit by trying to squeeze every last dime they can out of you, often illegally. No offense, landlords, many are awesome, too.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:44 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,517,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
I think if I was a landlord, I would probably contract out the billing. Otherwise, I'd be a push over. I'd also have things well stated in the lease. You pay by this date, or you pay a late fee, or you move out. I suppose that could end up costing more, depending on the tenet rights laws of the state. It may be better to negotiate to just keep a tenent, but I'd have to have some kind of clearly defined rules.

The truth is, if you give people wiggle room, they will take all you give them and expect more in many instances. If someone has reached a financial obstacle, they should downsize their apartment or rent a room with someone else. You can't be a landlord and a charity organization at the same time. I may let someone out of a lease so they could move without penalty if they found that they could no longer afford the rent, though.

Although, I must say if some landlords are making 40%, that is a darn good return. And in my experience, many, many landlords are slumlords. It's like they only can make a profit by trying to squeeze every last dime they can out of you, often illegally. No offense, landlords, many are awesome, too.
You have the right idea, those who don't want to, or think they can't manage the hard realities of being a landlord generally hire a property manager.

I let my last tenant out of his lease if he would just get out. He got out, I got the house back, and a new awesome tenant.

Lo and behold the rent shows up in the mail the day before its due. Virtually unheard of in my experience.

Due to state and county laws I HAVE to abide by my own lease regarding due dates and late fees, if I don't it can make it impossible for me to evict if I have to. The lease is the lease and that's that. Pay or be evicted. I have learned my lesson and keep a healthy balance in a savings account that has my mortgage covered for 2 months, and court fees. I am prepared to evict at the first hint of a tenant going bad on me.

As far as I'm concerned if you lose your job or something, just tell me, I will let you out of the lease with no repercussions beyond keeping your last month prepaid rent AND your security deposit, and you must also move out leaving the place clean and in good shape.

This will lead to a good reference in the future.

Leave disrespectfully with unpaid rent, filth and damages and not only will I potentially sue you, but I will also give you a bad reference to a future landlord.

This has actually happened. A very smart landlord in california refused to rent to a past tenant of mine until he came clean and gave the contact information of all of his landlords for the past 5 years.

I did not give him a reference that was anything other than the truth, the truth being he did not pay in full, left the place filthy and with damages but did not seem to be a drug user, just really didn't have his act together, and for some reason could not stay employed.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:23 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
If the money stops coming in then the rent can no longer be paid and the lease should be broken.

Especially if the oerson was paying on time for years and suddenly experienced a hardship

Old 06-04-2013, 06:33 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
If the money stops coming in then the rent can no longer be paid and the lease should be broken.

Especially if the oerson was paying on time for years and suddenly experienced a hardship

Then the said person should be smart with their money and make sure they have a savings account that will cover at least 6 mths of living expenses.

When I say 'living expenses', I'm not talking about your smart phone account, your gym membership, your eating out, your cable tv, your internet,...I'm talking about rent, utilities, transportation.

Just because you fell on hard times doesn't mean the landlord has to let you out of anything. Can they? Yes. Should they? Depends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting