Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2013, 08:31 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
It's a few , like the hardnoses on here that think only in black and white.
WestPhillyDude.....stop arguing with them and defending yourself, fercrissake.....you'll get nowhere.
When it gets to the point where my bank is fine with it when I call them and let them know I won't be paying the mortgage for the next few months because my tenant lost his job and I am being a good sport and letting him stay for free, at that point, I can stop being such a hard nose about it.

But, unfortunately, my bills don't stop when my tenant stops paying. The bank still wants the mortgage payment, the insurance company still wants their money, the county still wants their property tax money, the water, sewer, garbage people still want to be paid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 08:49 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,109 times
Westphilly, in his own words, felt he was being "penalized" by the landlord, when in fact, he was attempting to penalize the landlord by breaking the lease.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:16 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by home*sweet*home View Post
Recently, it's been hard times for several of our tenants. We understand and accomodate those who warn us the rent will be late, give us a date by which they plan to pay and pay the late fee without further prompting.

We have also accomodate those who need to pay a little at a time until they are caught up. We have one, a single mom with two kids, who pays weekly on a monthly rent. She is behind but always pays something, and catches up each year when she gets her tax returns. She's been our tenant for two years. She requires a lot of extra tracking and work, but eventually,she pays.

To us, a good tenant in the hand (even if a slow pay) is better than two in the bush. Better the devil you know and all that...

So how do some people justify not saying ANYTHING, waiting until the rent is late, requiring me to hunt them down and then get OFFENDED when we ask them where the money is? Do they think they can live rent free just because? Because why?

Don't these people realize that mortgage companies won't cut ME any slack? If I don't pay the mortgage, I lose the house (THEIR house).

Before everyone starts yelling, yes we keep our places maintained. We own them, we want to keep the, we want to profit on their sale someday - we are good landlords. Period. It's just been a tough time in the area where we own housing.

First of all, you are not the typical landlord. I have been a landlord and I understand why students rent. It's temporary. I got along fine with students, visiting workers, and other folks who were going somewhere in life. It was the "lifers" who I didn't understand.

Even when against my own interest, a tenant who paid on time by the way, came into an inheritance. I counseled a tenant a bit. I asked why he didn't buy a house - they had two young boys and a cat - he said he didn't want to be tied down. He didn't want to repair things or worry. He wanted "to move whenever he felt like it" and be "free".

So, with his small inheritance he bought his wife a two year old mini-van, took the family to Disney World and his wife to Vegas. They did well in Vegas and they liked it so much that they gave me a month's notice.They found the perfect house in Nevada and they loved the weather out their.
Of course it was another rental and the rest of the inheritance was spent on moving from NY to NV, new living room and bedroom "sets" and first month, last month and security. Another rental. And they seemed happy as clams.

Go figure.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:24 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If you wait until your unemployment runs out to downsize, then you have waited far too long.

What is unemployment running these days? 3 years? That's plenty of time to cancel the cable TV and premium cell service, move into a small place or back home with family, learn how to eat cheaply, start turning off lights you aren't using........... You don't wait for the unemployment to run out before you curtail your lifestyle.

Funny how so many people can't find a job until the unemployment runs out. When that check stops, then they can find work.
26 weeks in my State.

I haven't had to collect it in over a decade, but last time I did, the max was 3 months.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:42 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
I don't think the issue is so black and white, there's a big grey area.

If say, you have lost your job, prospects are not good, and you know you're not going to be able to afford rent soon, you could notify your landlord as soon as possible, and see if they can't put the rental up for rent and find a replacement. A few years ago, I had a personal issue and it would have made my life much easier to end my lease 3 months early. I let my LL know, and she put the house up for rent right then, and within a month had a new tenant ready to go so I could leave 3 months early (and got a higher rent in the process). If everyone is reasonable, a solution can be found that benefits both parties.

However, I don't think simply not paying rent and staying in the rental is an option though, that is something I just would never be able to do.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:23 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
When it gets to the point where my bank is fine with it when I call them and let them know I won't be paying the mortgage for the next few months because my tenant lost his job and I am being a good sport and letting him stay for free, at that point, I can stop being such a hard nose about it.

But, unfortunately, my bills don't stop when my tenant stops paying. The bank still wants the mortgage payment, the insurance company still wants their money, the county still wants their property tax money, the water, sewer, garbage people still want to be paid.

I never said stay there for free, the tenant would obvoiusly have to leave the apt if the money is no longer flowing

Old 06-07-2013, 08:50 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,279,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
26 weeks in my State.

I haven't had to collect it in over a decade, but last time I did, the max was 3 months.
Not true. It's 73 weeks unemployment including the EUC extensions in NJ and 63 weeks in NY.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,330 times
-What we can do (renters) when we have been on a wrongful dismissal at work? It should be an Insurance for this type of situation, I already sued my former ex-Boss big time for a lot of things + sexual harassment, (2 years working hard) but; in the meantime here I am with no money and looking for a job, moving out from a place that I like to live. It will come the time to buy me my own house here and paid that beautiful house in full as soon as 3 months from now. I read all conversations, renting in california is really expensive, taxes are high... but sooner or later someday we the people will never pay anything here, earth is our planet, why we have to pay to live; to eat, in our own planet? God's money which is gold (earth's money) is not longer in our hands, paper money...? is a joke. Why is possible that we receive money if someone dies...!? then we have more valuable dying that living... if the insurance companies does not have the
3D's (1. Deny, 2. Delay & 3. Do not pay)
...God have mercy of our enemies all (Landlords, Banks, system, etc.) Forget them all. When death takes them away they will not take even a penny cut in half.

Last edited by LadyLadyLady; 09-11-2013 at 10:48 PM..

Old 09-12-2013, 06:25 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times

The Rent Is Too Damn High Party's Jimmy McMillan at the NY Governor Debate - YouTube ^^^ Lol

Old 09-12-2013, 07:00 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
You should know by now acccepting any job accomplishes nothing because you will be misreable.
Lord, I feel sorry for your landlord. Or anyone who has to deal with you, really.

You could write a book on what I would call Section 8 (et al) Excuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting