Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 01:30 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
The cheapo ones are better for the system because the heavy ones trap lots of airflow. All my tenants have pets and its not good for the system to have the heavy duty ones with that kind of debris capture, especially when one cannot count on tenants to change the filters on a good schedule.

I provide a fresh dozen each year and ask that tenants change monthly, rather than heavy duty ones being changed less frequently. I am trying to preserve the life of the system.

hmm..that's not what the AC contractor told me when he came to fix my unit last summer. He had to replace the coil and he saw my filter and said more people should use this kind, but don't. As I said, I change it sooner than suggested because I have a cat, a dog and I burn a lot of candles.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:59 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
hmm..that's not what the AC contractor told me when he came to fix my unit last summer. He had to replace the coil and he saw my filter and said more people should use this kind, but don't. As I said, I change it sooner than suggested because I have a cat, a dog and I burn a lot of candles.
And I have been told the opposite! Guess we should start a new thread in the house forum

Old 12-04-2013, 11:03 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehg View Post
I know someone like your tenants. This woman is an attorney in her late twenties, early thirties. I stopped by her apartment and mentioned that there was a furnace filter outside her door. She had no idea what it was and mentioned that her landlord kept leaving them for her and she'd been throwing them out(!) I explained how to change it and she was very proud of herself for doing it.

What's really scary is that she wants to buy a duplex or triplex for the rental income. An attorney with no maintenance or practical life knowledge as a landlord
Just because someone is "educated" doesn't mean they have any common sense (or care to).

Old 12-05-2013, 03:47 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Katie a shedding machine! Every 6 months the apt complex changes the furnace filter. My even with all the shedding & maybe me vaccume once a month is cleaner than those without pets & rarely vacumming.. Go Figure! Course the Worst are the Smokers yeck!

Old 12-05-2013, 03:23 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
And I have been told the opposite! Guess we should start a new thread in the house forum
Read my post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I disagree that the cheaper ones are better for the system.

Yes they reduce the air flow slightly but they remove a lot more crap from the air. The first house we bought brand new, when I replaced the HVAC system 15 years later the AC coils were covered with a thick blanket of lint and fibers that were able to pass through the air filter, which made the HVAC system much less efficient. Because of this I started using the higher efficiency filters on the new AC system, I verified with the installer that the fan was properly sized to handle the heavier filters.

That system is now 17 years old, when I had it serviced last year I had the AC serviceman check the AC coils and clean them if needed, there was hardly anything on the coils to clean, the air filters had kept them clean and operating much more efficiently.

That house is now my rental house. I started out providing the filters to the tenant to replace every 3 months, but quickly learned they did not do so, so since them I have done it myself to make sure it takes place. It is saving me money in long run by keeping the equipment working efficiently, which will help it last longer before I have to replace it again.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Read my post:
Yes I saw your post, obviously your opinion is not the only one or the final one

Old 12-06-2013, 07:19 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,759,929 times
Why wouldn't a tenant change out filters? Just damn lazy if you ask me. Heck, we are always on-top of the filter changing. Too much pet dander and dust.
I lived in an apartment complex that gave out filters when paying rent. I thought it was pretty nice of them to do, considering that every rental after that apartment required us to buy them. The last house we lived in, the LL had a new a/c installed with new air exchanges that required filter sizes that are normally not carried in stores and can be found only online at like Walmart.com or Home depot.com.An expensive endeavor, but, we changed the filters out on time,,every month. I can understand why some LL treat tenants with disdain. I'm sure that after dealing with so many stubborn lazy tenants kind of puts a bad stigmata on all tenants. But there are good ones out there that get overshadowed.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:23 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Yes I saw your post, obviously your opinion is not the only one or the final one
My post was not reporting opinion, it was reporting actual facts. Do you have any actual facts to refute mine, or Kim's ?

No, I did not think so.

Your so called "opinion" is based on "some one told me", not actual experience. So it isn't worth much.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:54 PM

Moderators please close this thread; its going off topic and one contributor is taking an aggressive and offensive tone.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:16 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Closed on request of Original Poster...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting