Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 02:52 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times

Advertisements

I worked for a campus-area landlord for about five years in the early aughts, and at the time, he had a total of 40 buildings and close to 300 rental units. Every single unit got a box of chocolates and a hand-written card in mid-December, right at about the peak of final exams week. I was the lucky (for some values of lucky) soul who was tasked with acquiring the goods, addressing the cards, and managing the logistics of getting them all delivered timely, and I will simply say that it was not my favorite part of that job.

The oddest thing to me was the reactions of the tenants. A goodly number would express delighted surprise and gratitude, especially if they were stressing over finals, and that was always nice to hear. But there was a certain percentage of tenants who were just livid about the whole thing, and I was the recipient of some pretty vitriolic communications from them. I could understand why a diabetic tenant would be annoyed at receiving a box of chocolates, but the ones that used to scream at me because Whitman's Samplers weren't sufficiently high-brow for them (and that happened at least a few times every year, without fail) just plain old baffled me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 03:47 PM

218 posts, read 775,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
The oddest thing to me was the reactions of the tenants. A goodly number would express delighted surprise and gratitude, especially if they were stressing over finals, and that was always nice to hear. But there was a certain percentage of tenants who were just livid about the whole thing, and I was the recipient of some pretty vitriolic communications from them. I could understand why a diabetic tenant would be annoyed at receiving a box of chocolates, but the ones that used to scream at me because Whitman's Samplers weren't sufficiently high-brow for them (and that happened at least a few times every year, without fail) just plain old baffled me.
That's just rude.

Like I said - the owner/LL would send See's every year and I always said thank you, lovely gesture. And I really did think that.

I despise See's. I'd end up giving it away. But I would never tell him that and it's the thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting